April 6, 2015

Samyang Just Announced an Affordable Cine-Style 100mm Macro Lens

Rokinon Samyang 100mm T/3.1 Macro Cine Lens
A new addition to Samyang/Rokinon's lineup of cinema-style lenses promises to offer high-quality macro shots at an affordable price.

Late last week, Samyang announced a 100mm f/2.8 macro lens and a cine-style variation with a T/3.1 aperture, geared focus and iris, and longer throw distances. Macro lenses, of course, have the ability to focus at much closer distances than their non-macro counterparts, which makes them perfect for capturing extreme close-ups of smaller items that would otherwise be difficult to photograph in extreme detail. That makes macro lenses great for a number of purposes, including nature and product photography, but for filmmakers, macro lenses are great for capturing highly-detailed inserts and cutaways.

Here's some footage shot with the new lens to give you an idea of what it can do. Just as a heads up, you may want to mute the video because the song choice is -- questionable.

Here are the basic specs and another photo of the new 100mm T/3.1:

Rokinon Samyang 100mm T/3.1 Macro Cine Lens
  • 100mm Lens
  • Full-Frame Coverage
  • Multi-Layer Coating to Reduce Flare
  • Standard Gearing for Focus and Iris
  • Dual Side Focus and T-Stop Scales
  • De-Clicked Aperture Ring
  • Hybrid Aspherical Lenses
  • Manual Focus and Aperture
  • Removable Lens Hood
  • Accepts 67mm Threaded Filter Rings

The Rokinon 100mm T/3.1 comes in a whole array of mounts for different camera systems and will retail for $599. It is currently available for pre-order at B&H and is expected to begin shipping within the next two weeks.

Sure seems like a nice lens, great addition to the very affordable Samyang cine primes.

I wonder how this stacks up against the Canon 100mm f/2.8 L IS in terms of image quality. I really fell in love with the ability to use the Canon 100 on a handheld rig because of image stabiliser. Looking forward seeing some portrait and flare tests.
If you are in the market for a 100mm this will save you $350 compared to the Canon, sweet!

April 6, 2015 at 6:11PM

Serhan Meewisse
Filmmaker

Would definitely be a welcome addition if it provides similar quality to the Canon 100L.

April 25, 2015 at 6:58PM

JJ Sereday
Director/Cinematographer/Editor

At this very moment, "Lapis Lazuli" is stuck in my head. And that's YOUR fault, No Film School! ;-)

April 6, 2015 at 7:06PM

George Lima de Queiroz
Editor / researcher / director

Hmmmm, is it just me or is the breathing on that... insane (in a not so awesome way)?

April 6, 2015 at 7:24PM

Ryan Sauve
@sauvedp

"Methinks these kids are gettin gridy." Seriously, they want more than what Canon charges for the USM flavors of its superb 100mm.

April 6, 2015 at 9:42PM

Alex Zakrividoroga
Director

I don't agree with you there. Yes, both of those are less than the Samyang, by $50 and $150 respectively, and yes, they are both fine lenses, both of which could probably fulfill the same purpose at a relatively close quality level to the new Samyang.

However, I think you should take into account that the Samyang is available in more than just the EF mount, has a manual aperture ring, and is fully geared for follow focus use. Those features, in my opinion easily merit the extra $50 and perhaps even $150, coming from a non-Canon user without access to an EF mount camera.

By all means, like the lenses you like, however, I don't think you've made a sufficient argument against this lens or toward either of the lenses you listed.

April 6, 2015 at 11:37PM

Jacob Floyd
Writer / Videographer

Dear Sir, thank you for your kind permission to like the lenses I like! :))) All good, Jacob ;)

April 7, 2015 at 1:31AM

Alex Zakrividoroga
Director

Oh, also, nice article, Robert. Would've missed this otherwise.

April 6, 2015 at 11:45PM

Jacob Floyd
Writer / Videographer

This was announced a week ago.

April 6, 2015 at 11:48PM

They're really expanding their range, and that's great! I'm just hoping it has got a good enough focus throw, my 24mm is a bit short IMO - I miss focus when I'm close to infinity all the time.

April 7, 2015 at 1:37AM, Edited April 7, 1:37AM

Olof Ljunggren
Student

It looks nice. Now I just need more room in my lens case!

April 7, 2015 at 2:19AM

Benton Collins
Camera aimer

I looked up the song in the vid. It's from a Japanese RPG. I think that explains a lot.

April 7, 2015 at 12:34PM

After owning multiple Rokinon lenses and re selling them I don't think I will ever purchase them again. They have a great appearance and cine like quality build and feel, but the actual glass is mediocre. It's soft in so many spots and sharp in others and it floods an uncomfortable amount of light in wide open. I just felt cheated, but in the end I wasnt... that's why it's cheaper.

April 7, 2015 at 1:09PM

John Fitzpatrick
DP/Director

Why are you worried about the wide open performance? Wide open is oftenly the worse setting on most good performing lenses.

April 7, 2015 at 10:25PM, Edited April 7, 10:25PM

Vincent Gortho
none

I tell you, I really love the idea of this entire website. I get excited just to click my bookmark! I always rack my brain on how you come about this information.

April 8, 2015 at 12:37PM