June 16, 2015

Adobe's Powerful 2015 Video Apps Are Finally Here

Adobe Premiere Pro 2015 Release
In the weeks leading up to NAB 2015, Adobe announced massive updates to all of their Creative Cloud video applications, with Premiere Pro in particular getting lots of stellar new features in the color grading department.

Today, the company announced that the 2015 Creative Cloud apps are available and ready for download. Just open up the CC App, and they'll be there waiting for you. In case you need a bit of a refresher about what's coming to the 2015 versions of Premiere Pro, After Effects, SpeedGrade, and other video apps, here's are a few quick introductory videos from Adobe.

And here's a more in-depth look at the new features that are now available in Premiere Pro. This comes from ReTooled.net.

Adobe also announced that they're giving users more control over the installation process.

Beginning with the next major release of the Creative Cloud desktop apps, it’ll be simpler than ever to update your apps to the latest versions. You will now have a choice when installing applications to have the install update to the latest version, and remove old versions, or to install the latest version, and keep old versions around (which you can uninstall on your own later). Based on your feedback, previous versions will be uninstalled by default, and all preferences and settings will be migrated to the new version.

You can read more about today's release over on the Adobe Blog, and you can watch a load of new videos over on their YouTube channel

For someone like me who has to put out content rather quickly with no need for full on color grading this update is a godsend.

June 16, 2015 at 11:34AM

Austin Crow
Filmmaker/Photographer

So...what's the verdict people? Does it help with CUDA graphics card owners? How does it work with Yosemite? Is anyone getting glitchiness, artifacts or a sickening amount of crashing? If anyone has been following the threads over on adobe's site. We've all had a rough go with CUDA (NVIDIA), PP CC and Yosemite OSx. I know I sound a bit crazy, but anyone with these issues will know what I'm talking about. Hopefully they fix some of these issues. Anyway, let me know peoples!

June 16, 2015 at 12:28PM

Nick Capezzera
DP & Editor

I just spent the last couple hours color grading a project and it was an incredible experience. Just so intuitive and easy. I simply created a base look, saved the look, then copied the look to each clip adjusted accordingly. The workflow panels make it easy to switch modes back and forth. I'm sure it's all utilizing the same computing power as Adobe SpeedGrade. All my playback was smooth with no artifacts before or after the render.

Seriously easy to use. I was working with C100 footage which is normally a huge pain to fix coloring or exposure problems but this update made it super easy and did a good job with it.

June 16, 2015 at 12:42PM

Glad to hear that you like the workflow panels. I was bummed that they got rid of all of my custom workspaces. Any idea on how to restore them?

June 16, 2015 at 12:49PM

Jonathan Goossen
International Videographer

It looks like you can actually edit each specific panel, rearrange the order, rename, and create new panels specific to how you work. The panels aren't necessarily anything new - but having them as tabs that are easily switched is new and nice.

June 16, 2015 at 1:06PM, Edited June 16, 1:08PM

So might my days of using adjustment layers for color correcting lots of clips in a row over?

June 16, 2015 at 1:35PM

Joe O
Videographer/Editor

Replying to my prior question if this info will help anyone else.
Workspaces are saved in the following folder on a mac:
Documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro/8.0/Profile-Name/Layouts

Alternately, I found success by checking Window -> Workspaces -> Import Workspaces from Projects. I then when back to ver.8 and saved a different project using each custom workspace. When I opened them back up in ver.9 (2015) the workspaces were imported. Now to test out the new features!

If you want to back up your own Custom Workspaces:
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\2.0

June 16, 2015 at 3:55PM

Jonathan Goossen
International Videographer

First impressions: opened it, took a while to load all the packages (as expected). Then the welcome screen opened up but not at the centre of the screen as per usual, it was halfway off my screen. Then, I opened up the project I was working on and Premiere 2015 crashed with the "Sorry, a serious error has occurred" dialog. Oh, Adobe.

June 16, 2015 at 4:54PM, Edited June 16, 4:54PM

Devyn

I had that the first open too but fine now.

June 17, 2015 at 4:33AM

Yes. So much better. I can actually use my GT970 now.

June 16, 2015 at 1:24PM

Only tested the CC tools so far and Its working well (ish) on my 2013 mac pro (6 core d500s, yosemite). I can finally use LUTs! Before Lumetri made everything very slow (unless I worked in software mode). Now LUTs load quickly and playback is great. Full res 4k with the lumetri filter applied.
The only thing thats slow is the sliders for the correction tools. EG temperature, exposure etc. For some reason they take 5-7 seconds to respond to any adjustment which is a real turn off. I have no idea why those don't work well - the same tools in Film Convert work perfectly! Hopefully that will get fixed soon

June 16, 2015 at 5:07PM

Mark Relf
Director, Editor

Just first few minutes, but already getting glitching when resizing panels with CUDA.

June 16, 2015 at 5:45PM, Edited June 16, 6:26PM

Chris Hyland
Student Filmmaker

The morph cut looks AMAZING! This would be a huge help for me editing documentaries with interviews. Perhaps it’s time for me to move away from FCPX?

June 16, 2015 at 1:11PM, Edited June 16, 1:11PM

Ryan Toyota
Graphic Designer / Typographer / Video Editor

Haha not sure about that move quite yet. Glad to see them working though! FCPX is such a clean editing experience haha. Guess it doesn't really doesn't matter both apps were created by the same guy. So they both work to some extent haha

June 16, 2015 at 1:15PM

Charles C.
Editor/ Director/ Director of Photography/ Wannabe Thinker

How on earth were both apps created by the same guy? Each app was created by a large company employing hundreds of people involved in the creation of their software.

Also, Premiere Pro is used by a lot of editors. If anything I’d say FCPX is in the minority. Why is it so funny that I’d think of switching?

June 16, 2015 at 2:48PM

Ryan Toyota
Graphic Designer / Typographer / Video Editor

Sorry if you took offense to that none was intended. Also a guy named Randy Ubillos developed code for the first 3 versions of Premiere which is coding the new premiere is still built on. He then went onto develop KeyGrip which turned into the first versions of Final Cut Pro and then finally he lead the team at apple that created FCPX until he retired in April this year. So he led the team on three of the bigger editing platforms is all I mean.

Obviously he had teams to help him. Again I didn't meant to make it sound like it was a bad idea you were changing or anything. To each his own in my opinion

June 16, 2015 at 3:10PM, Edited June 16, 3:10PM

Charles C.
Editor/ Director/ Director of Photography/ Wannabe Thinker

Sorry, I must have been sensitive for some reason. Now that you mention it, his name sounds very familiar. I didn’t know he developed code for Premiere, although I’d imagine that was so long ago that none of the new features we’re seeing now had anything to do with him.

Honestly though, something like morph cut looks extremely useful to me, whereas FCPX’s biggest feature in their last release was 3D titles, which almost no professional editor needs or wants. If they do, they have other software they’re doing it in that will work better than what they can do in FCPX.

It makes me feel like Adobe might be the more promising boat, especially if Apple ever decides to ditch FCP in the future like they did with Aperture.

June 16, 2015 at 5:25PM

Ryan Toyota
Graphic Designer / Typographer / Video Editor

...and Shake, Color, Soundtrack Pro, Quicktime Pro....

June 16, 2015 at 8:17PM

David S.

Just chiming in now that I've been trying to actually use Morph Cut, it's fickle.

I cut a lot of talking heads, and since it uses facial recognition, I thought this would work pretty well. It's working about 10-20% of the time in my current edit. So, while it DOES work, it's not as reliable yet. It's definitely not magic, but it was never meant to be either.

I'll add that the frame isn't cluttered either. It's definitely picking up the face, it's just not as subtle as it could be. It seems like it needs a lot of frames to work well, which isn't always a possibility when someone is stumbling through their talking points.

June 17, 2015 at 11:53AM

Stephanie Dzieglo
Editor

I'm going to have to update CC today and try it out. Thanks for that insight though Stephanie.

June 17, 2015 at 2:50PM

Charles C.
Editor/ Director/ Director of Photography/ Wannabe Thinker

Sorry about that, I replied to your comment instead of the OP.

But, yeah. If you have CC already then it's at least worth trying. I wouldn't say it's worth getting Premiere just for this specific thing though.

June 18, 2015 at 3:10PM

Stephanie Dzieglo
Editor

Yea morph cut is going to def be useful no doubt. Guess I usually shoot at least 2 cameras when I'm doing talking head to get around those awkward Ums and pauses people have. Heres hoping apple doesn't ditch it but considering that they sent multiple heads of engineering and software to NAB this year just to answer questions (which they never do). I'm thinking they're plenty behind FCPX and won't be abandoning it.

And man I'm going to miss Aperture when I finally get off it still use it to this day haha

June 17, 2015 at 2:49PM, Edited June 17, 2:49PM

Charles C.
Editor/ Director/ Director of Photography/ Wannabe Thinker

I was really looking forward to Morph Cut, but it doesn't seem to be working for me like I thought it would. Unless I set the duration to over 1 second, it gives me an error message and won't work. In Avid, I usually use the Fluid Morph transition for 3-6 frames, and have never had an issue with it. Also the Morph Cut transition has "broken" one project for me so far. Now whenever I try to open that project, Premiere freezes. The previous version of the file, before I applied the Morph Cut transitions, opens without issue.

June 18, 2015 at 4:49PM, Edited June 18, 4:49PM

Andrew Klein
Camera Department

As a FCPX user some of these updates are good to see. It'll hopefully push Apple to work on somethings as well. Good to see their grading tools are better inside of Premiere was always annoyed with the offerings inside of the App itself before this update. Competition pushing both companies is a good sight.

June 16, 2015 at 1:13PM, Edited June 16, 1:13PM

Charles C.
Editor/ Director/ Director of Photography/ Wannabe Thinker

I'm on Yosemite and it keeps crashing on me.

June 16, 2015 at 3:11PM, Edited June 16, 3:11PM

Josef Lorenzo
Director

Damn. Do you have CUDA running and or what model/year is your computer?

June 16, 2015 at 3:38PM

Nick Capezzera
DP & Editor

At least it's reliable. In the sense that EVERY time I go to the Lumetri scopes panel, right-click and choose Vectorscope HLS or Vectorscope YUV or any of the Presets .... BOOM.
"Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.0 has stopped working." Yadda yadda yadda. Displays Debug/Continue buttons on my system, because I have some development tools on there too.
Just for the sheer hell of it, I picked Debug, and it launched Visual Studio 2013. Here's what I got out of that:
Unhandled exception at 0x000000001CB69D87 (TransmitScopes.prm) in Adobe Premiere Pro.exe: 0xC000001D: Illegal Instruction.

Problem with da scopes, ay?

Hey Adobe. I absolutely love your products when they work. I'm sure you'll resolve these bugs (ahem, sorry, "issues") soon and I look forward to that in the days and weeks ahead.

My system's a bit dated, but still strong enough to edit small and mid-size stuff on:
Windows 8.1 Pro
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor
12Gb RAM (I wasn't running any other apps, just Premiere Pro CC 2015)
nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Footage in question shot on a Canon t2i, 1920x1080 24fps

Cheers!

June 16, 2015 at 9:40PM

My God. Not to sound too much like the passenger in the Louis CK video on airline wi-fi... but the morph cut feature is just about the most moronic "app" I've ever tried to use. I was totally prepared for it not to work--but I wasn't prepared for it not to work because it couldn't even read head and shoulders full-on shot a face as a face. So I tried a few more faces. Nothing. I guess on top of everything else, for this to work the face has to be so specifically framed and lit and whatever else--but outside of some pristine situation, the facial rec features make Siri seem like a speech recognition genius.

June 16, 2015 at 11:28PM

J Robbins

Like many of these effects, your mileage may vary. What seems like an easy to read clip to you may not be mathematically sound to the app. I've tried it on a few different interviews as a test. Two of them worked great, one didn't. It's never going to be a 100% foolproof solution, and that isn't Adobe's fault. But it is an option now and that's still pretty great.

June 17, 2015 at 6:52PM, Edited June 17, 6:52PM

Joshua Bowen
Editor

Working from my Late 2013 Macbook 13 on Mavericks (2.3 i7, 16gb ram, 512 ssd - working from a 2big thunderbolt 2 6tb) - which had handled Adobe CC2014 amazingly so far.
It went from wine to water from this morning to this afternoon, when I updated to 2015CC. Everything is super slow now, it takes 2 seconds to react to my command for mostly anything I do - sometimes even more. Basically made my editing process hell.
I'm disappointed since I was quite excited about the update.
Fortunately I'm planning on updated to a better computer, so the problem should be solved, anyways it would be good to see a software that doesn't need a very powerful system.
If anyone has suggestions on what I could try to improve the slow performance, I'd more than happy to hear them! Thanks

June 17, 2015 at 1:12AM, Edited June 17, 1:13AM

Andre Mascarenhas
Video Producer, Director and Editor

Don't get your hopes up about the faster computer fixing your problem. I am having the same problem as you. I can't even play a 1080p timeline in real-time without freeze frames and 2-3 second delay on keyboard strokes. I need to downgrade ASAP!
MacPro (2013)
3GHz 8-Core Xeon E5
16GB Ram
AMD FirePro D700
Footage on Pegasus R6 (RAID 0) @ 800MB/s read/write
and I still can't edit buttery smooth footage without a hiccup. No crashes so far however, I am not pushing my system very hard at all. But Premiere can't keep up even when I have 1/4 resolution playback. Still freezes and pauses.

June 21, 2015 at 6:45AM

@ users encountering difficulties with the new release:

It can hardly come as a surprise. This happens with any software, independend of the company. So, finish your current and critical projects in the current version. Start new projects in the new version. Life is difficult enough as it is, don't make it even more difficult.

June 17, 2015 at 2:40AM, Edited June 17, 2:41AM

Always excellent advice. I made this mistake once before, but won't do it again.

June 17, 2015 at 10:41AM

I made this mistake today...

June 17, 2015 at 11:25AM

Me 2 :(

June 21, 2015 at 6:46AM, Edited June 21, 6:46AM

Hi i constantly select the clips if i hit pause or set an in and an out point, so if i want to edit my timeline i constantly have to deselect to not delete my clips. Is there a way i can disable this function?

June 17, 2015 at 7:44AM

Looks like a lot of bugs again, Adobe should do some serious testing. Last round I had a lot of trouble on my late 2012 top of the line iMac. This time however I just did a clean install of yosemite (system was slowing down regardless of adobe stuff) and everything works butter smooth. Grading is really awesome now, direct and super intuitive. They got this definitely right. Hope I don't encounter too much bugs...

June 17, 2015 at 10:54AM, Edited June 17, 10:54AM

Gerbert Floor
DP / Director / Camera / Editor

"Hope I don't encounter too much bugs..."

Prepare to be disappointed, then.

June 17, 2015 at 11:27AM

Yeah, I am definitely experiencing bugs during a lot of stuff. Even simple cuts and edit, it will freeze up on me momentarily, or color correcting, etc. Work panel up top also disappears when I go into the editing mode, which I can't seem to find a way to fix.
The features seem great but it's taking me forever to edit anything with all the bugs!

June 23, 2015 at 6:41PM

Ben Meredith
Cinematographer/Filmmaker

Nice update Adobe!

Hue vs Hue control is missing!

June 17, 2015 at 4:39PM, Edited June 17, 4:39PM

Mark Novelli
Editor

I just wish Adobe would drop their prices so us low/no budget people could use their products. After all, they're just giving you access to their cloud. No physical product is actually changing hands.

June 18, 2015 at 6:00AM, Edited June 18, 6:00AM

Jerry Roe
Indie filmmaker

A cloud that costs a ton of money. So they need some from you. However, Resolve Lite is free and it edits....As to what I want Adobe to do that they still have not done....WHY CAN'T THE FRIGGIN' APPS RUN IN FULL SCREEN MODE LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE ON OS X....criminy.

June 18, 2015 at 11:58AM

Scot Yount
Director/Editor/Photographer/Motion Graphic Artist

Why does this thing still double post?

June 18, 2015 at 11:58AM, Edited June 18, 11:59AM

Scot Yount
Director/Editor/Photographer/Motion Graphic Artist

If you're working, $50/month towards you're lively hood shouldn't break the bank. If you're NO BUDGET, then free is probably where you should be looking, right? Black Magic gives away Resolve Lite, which does ANYTHING a low/no budget person should need from editing to grading. You're all set.

June 18, 2015 at 8:25PM

Josh.R
Motion Designer/Predator

I'm loving the new After Effects. So great to have previews work so much faster and so well--though I'd like even more speed if possible... I haven't had a chance to use the Premiere color correction tools, but that's actually what I'm most interested in.

Also, if you haven't fiddled around with the Character Animator (launched from After Effects), stop reading and do it now. ;) It's instantly entertaining and funny, and at the same time, amazingly powerful. It's not ready yet, but this preview is incredible.

June 18, 2015 at 8:08PM, Edited June 18, 8:08PM

Benjamin Reichman
Post Supervisor/AE/Editor

Is anyone else having problems with SpeedGrade?? I have used it for several years and it has worked perfectly on my 2012 Macbook Pro, but I have updated it to CC 2015 and all of a sudden it is running incredibly slowly? Help!!

June 28, 2015 at 1:49PM, Edited June 28, 1:49PM

Sebi Schmidt
Director

I have not specifically with Speedgrade (I don't use it), however basically all my Adobe apps are acting up since the upgrade. Same with people in my office at a very big-brand publication. Kind of a bummer!

July 7, 2015 at 7:35PM

Ben Meredith
Cinematographer/Filmmaker

+1 to the buggy issues list.
Sluggish playback all around. 10-20 seconds to load clips into the source monitor.
Reverted to 2014 and all is well.
Big disappointment here.