August 10, 2015

CAME-TV Releases Interesting New Gimbal for Easy One-Hand Operation

CAME-TV's Single 3-Axis Gimbal for One Hand Operation
Gimbals have exploded onto the market in a variety of shapes and sizes -- but we haven't seen one quite like this.

Designed for one hand operation, the CAME-TV Single 3 Axis Gimbal is toted as one of the first commercially available gimbals to utilize Encoders:

"Encoders are often used in Robotics for highly accurate monitoring of motor position. Some of the benefits of using Encoders are to: prevent motors from losing synchronization and skipping steps, provides important information about frame and camera angles, decreases power consumption (longer battery life), increases Torque, increases precision of stabilization, and more.​"

Key Features:

• Full 3 Axis Stabilization
  • Built in Joystick Control
  • 32bit Controller + Brushless Motors with Encoders
  • Tool-less Design Easy to Balance + Quick Release Camera Plate System
  • New Encoder technology is more efficient. Batteries can operate up 20 hours when fully charged.
  • Larger frame than most pistol-grip Gimbal Systems allows cameras to fully Tilt up and down.
  • Larger motors when compared to other pistol-grip gimbals.
  • 1/4"-20 thread mount on side of handle to support mounting a smartphone or monitor.
  • 1/4" and 3/8" threaded mounts under handle; to attach the CAME-SINGLE to different equipment.
  • Comes with Hard Flight case with extra room to store your camera.
  • Machined Aluminum Lightweight and Durable Build Quality.
  • Lightweight for easy carrying. The net weight of the CAME-SINGLE is only 1.2kg
  • Max payload 1kg. Works with Sony A7s, Panasonic GH4, BMPCC, etc.
CAME-TV Single with a Sony A7S

Ostensibly for use by run and gun shooters with small, lightweight cameras (like the Sony A7S), this gimbal is an interesting addition to the market. For just around $1,000, you can start adding smoother motion to your shots right out of the box. Here's some insight from first hand experience using the gimbal via Cheesy Cam:

Even though i’ve added extra handles, there’s several instances to which the gimbal was in extreme angles (low mode) and time where I only operated with one handle. The gimbal still performed pretty darn good. For those who are familiar with using alexmos gimbals, you’ll notice there are no ‘twitches’, ‘micro jitters’, and the horizon (roll) did not drift. It stayed level after the entire time even after panning, tilting, and low mode shooting.

Here's some videos showing the effectiveness of the gimbal (more here):

And a review of the unit (from Cheesy Cam):

What do you think? Does this have a place in your kit?

Doesn't seem better than the traditional glide cam to me, it's not so smooth

August 10, 2015 at 5:41AM, Edited August 10, 5:41AM

Max

And here I am preparing my gear in order to start shooting my movie tomorrow. Stabilization device? A broken plastic tripod head with a small weight on the back.

August 10, 2015 at 10:14AM

Edgar More
All

That's all you need. Shoot away.

August 10, 2015 at 11:18AM, Edited August 10, 11:17AM

Haven't heard much about this company from other filmmakers and gear heads. I've been curious however. Anyone here in the NFS community have experience with their other products? Or the company itself?

August 10, 2015 at 10:58AM

Bryan Tosh
Director of Photography

They're certainly one of the least expensive options while still maintaining a relative good quality. They ship fast from overseas too. I've been pleased, would order again no problem.

Only issue is have a huge printed

CAME

all over your gear. Seriously, has nobody told them?

August 10, 2015 at 11:11AM

Jordan Mederich
Documentarian / Filmmaker

I guess they thought it was better than JIZZ or ORGAZM...

August 13, 2015 at 3:22PM

I used the 33ft crane for a while. Pretty good product for the price, pan/tilt head wasn't the best but it did what you needed it to do.

Here's a review:

August 10, 2015 at 11:22AM

Luke Neumann
Cinematographer/Composer/Editor

Hey Luke,

What is the payload it can handle on the 33ft?

August 10, 2015 at 12:29PM

They have two different models. 5kg and 10kg. I have the 5kg version and I'm right at the limit with a light RED set up.

August 10, 2015 at 1:05PM

Luke Neumann
Cinematographer/Composer/Editor

Thank you, Luke!

August 11, 2015 at 9:03AM, Edited August 11, 9:03AM

I have a CAME gimbal and it's pretty good. I'm very interested in these newer models though that self balance. That is my only complaint about the older one is that you have to do alot of tweaks to the Alexmos board for you specific camera/lens combo.

August 10, 2015 at 11:38AM, Edited August 10, 11:39AM

I have the CAME-H4 and it is a great little stabilizer. The build quality is great for how much I payed.

August 10, 2015 at 5:14PM, Edited August 10, 5:14PM

Joseph Lindsay
Director of Photography/Motion Designer

My experience with CAME is poor. I bought a jib and the tube locking parts just pulled off of the carbon fiber tubes. I asked several times how to repair this and never got a reply. Go here to read more and see photos and a video:
ST

August 14, 2015 at 7:27PM

Steve Thornton
Imagemaker

I use their cage, matte box and follow focus with an A7s and Atomos Shogun and it works just fine. It's looks as good or better than many other brands for much less money. But yes it says CAME on everything. LOL

August 10, 2015 at 12:06PM

Justin Miller
Director/DP/Editor

Since they have added the encoders to this unit it a will be a real winner. I just added encoders to one of my UAV gimbals and so far it looks real solid. I hope they make a UAV version of this one soon. Much easier than making one's own.

August 10, 2015 at 12:08PM, Edited August 10, 12:08PM

20 hour battery life? Awesome.

August 10, 2015 at 2:31PM, Edited August 10, 2:31PM

Michael Muench
DP, Editor

Just when you thought holding a gimbal and camera with two hands was heavy, here's a device that will make you hold it with one hand.

August 10, 2015 at 3:07PM, Edited August 10, 3:07PM

William Stewart
Director of Photography

LOL:) Point taken, however... next time you're at the gym try to hold a dumbbell in front of you with two hands and then try to hold it with one hand. From a lot of (operator useful) positions you'll be surprised to find the two-handed grip puts more strain on you than the one handed.

August 10, 2015 at 4:51PM

J Robbins

And for practice, just walk around with a 5 pound dumbbell and keep upping the weight.

August 10, 2015 at 11:41PM

Julian Faras
Editor, Cinematographer, Director

Supports the GH4? Hmm, I don't see how that's very practical as you can't flip out the monitor screen. (which flips out to the left side) When I use a gimbal I want to see what it is I am filming. There are in fact gimbals that allow you to flip out the screen (on a GH4) but this isn't one of them.

August 11, 2015 at 1:12AM

Erwin Hartsuiker
CineVideo-NL videographer

You can either monitor through the GH4 WiFi app or you can use a thin HDMI "ribbon" cable that is designed to not limit the movement of the gimbal.

August 11, 2015 at 10:20AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Love it! No need for a slider and/or a jib no more. This practically does everything and no need for setup to get that specific shot, just grab it, choose your stabilizing mode (out of 3 modes) and shoot. Very fast and practical.

My concern right now with them is battery life. It didn't run as long as they advertise. I think they are having problem with their battery providers. So I'm figuring this stuff out with them via email.

August 11, 2015 at 3:28PM, Edited August 11, 3:28PM

Roody Vazquez
TV Producer/Editor/DP, Wedding Filmmaker

This looks like a pretty cool little gadget if it works as it's advertised. But, unfortunately, this article can't answer that "if" question, because it's an advertisement, not an article. Well, 95% advertisement, 5% article.

What differentiates advertising from journalism is more than just a two sentence opinion at the end-- and link(s) to other people's work (videos in this case)-- it's doing enough research and possessing enough knowledge to describe (before the last paragraph) why your opinion can stand on its very own.

Otherwise your reasoning will be circular-- citing advertising verbatim for content-- and it will never be anything more than advertising. Maybe well-curated advertising in this case-- but certainly nothing more than that.

I'm drawn to this site by the headlines-- and they are great-- but the information here is often a mile wide and an inch deep. I think this site could really go places (and I speak from experience) if there was a real budget for writers with substantial industry knowledge and experience *writing*. Imagine if you'd purchased or borrowed one of these units and done your own testing. Your opinion would be more valuable than the random frat boys you found on youtube fkn around with this thing. ...so you release this story a week later than "everyone else." If you care about quality and not just buzzfeed-level puke-news, then that delay wouldn't matter to your readers because you'd have something of value to offer. Not just a regurgitated advertisement from a Chinese-published site. But whatever, just my two cents.

August 12, 2015 at 12:31AM

CheesyCam and Nikko have NOTHING to do with the manufacturer, so I don't know what the heck you are talking about here ???

If you want another independent review on the CAME Single, here's a good one...

Dave Dugdale : Pilotfly H1 Plus vs CameTV Single Review

And here is a music video that was shot with the Nebula 4000 pistol-grip 3-axis gimbal and a DJI Inspire quadcopter. ( The Nebula 4000 works the same way as the CAME Single, but requires a lot of tweaking to get a stable set-up )

The Weepies - No Trouble [Official Music Video]

Test Footage from the Music Video

Another Nebula 4000 Test by Christopher Mayer

Right now it looks like the CAME Single is the ONLY pistol-grip 3-axis gimbal with encoded motors, which means it truly is self calibrating.

August 12, 2015 at 8:52AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Any idea how to mount a shogun on one of these?

August 12, 2015 at 3:30PM, Edited August 12, 3:30PM

August 13, 2015 at 1:43AM

Roody Vazquez
TV Producer/Editor/DP, Wedding Filmmaker

Generally mounting a shotgun mic on a camera is a VERY bad idea, unless you are shooting subjects that are always going to be no more than 3 feet from your lens.

Golden Rule for Good Audio: No mic should be further than 3 feet from the person speaking, so you must boom your shot-gun mic, or use a lav mic ( that can be hidden ) to ensure that your mic is ALWAYS close enough to your subject.

August 13, 2015 at 3:48PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

You're absolutely right, but he typed shogun, not shotgun. As in the Atomos Shogun, I'm assuming.

August 14, 2015 at 1:37PM