September 9, 2015
IBC 2015

SmallHD's New 702 Bright is a 7" 1080p Monitor That's Easily Viewable in Daylight

SmallHD 702 Bright 7" 1080p External Monitor
Taking some design cues from the 500 series, SmallHD has introduced the 702 Bright, their first 7" 1080p monitor.

While the 502 is great for a lot of situations, the 702 Bright with its 1000 nit display is going to allow you to see the monitor much more easily in harsh lighting situations. While 1000 nits isn't quite as much as their High Bright DP-7, it's still going to be better than most monitors out there. The bigger display also means that you can have an unobstructed (and still pretty large) image of your scene with things like waveform or histogram around the rest of the picture:

SmallHD MON-702_LB_20 Histogram Waveform Audio Zebras

The specs:

• 7" 1920 x 1080, 323 PPI Display
  • 16:10 Native Screen with 179 Degree Viewing Angle
  • 8-bit Color with 85% NTSC (100% Rec 709)
  • Brightness: 1000 Nits
  • In/Out/Cross-Conversion with SDI and HDMI
  • 1 SDI (in), 1 SDI (out)
  • HDMI1 HDMI (in), 1 HDMI (out)
  • Audio: 1/8" Mini Stereo Headphone
  • LP-E6 style and Sony L style
  • USB: Micro-USB 5V @ .5A
  • Availability: October 2015
  • Price: $1,500

An interesting feature of the 702 Bright is that there are no battery plates, you can simply attach Canon LP-E6 batteries to the top of the battery slot, or Sonly L-series batteries to the bottom of the battery slot:

SmallHD Batteries MON-702_LB_15

You can see the size difference between the 702 and the 502:

SmallHD MON-702_LB_13 Comparison to 502

More on the OS of the 702:

The 702 Bright is built on SmallHD’s Page Builder OS. It’s the operating system that feels less like firmware, and more like a production assistant. Page Builder was introduced with the SmallHD 500 Series. Create multiple pages (12 max), populate each with features you wish to use such as scopes, looks or focus assists then switch back and forth with a left-or-right flick of the joystick.

For $1,500, you could do a lot worse than the 702 with all of these image and cross-convert features. By having 1080p, pulling focus is likely going to be a bit easier than with the 500 series, especially with the larger viewing area. The battery solution also makes this much more versatile than some other options out there, letting you use multiple batteries on set or wherever you are.

The 702 is going to be available in October but can be pre-ordered right now from SmallHD

With the Ninja Assassin (also 7", full HD) coming in just under $1300 and being a 4k 10-bit recorder who would pay $1500 for the 702 and why? I'm sure it's a bit easier to see in daylight but I just don't see how this can be a $1500 item in today's market.

September 9, 2015 at 11:02PM

John Morse
Producer + Director

My thoughts exactly, John. Not sure how SmallHD can justify pricing with the emerging competition. I'm already feeling buyers remorse on the 502.

September 10, 2015 at 12:28AM

Arvin Abadilla
Video Producer

Well there is the actual functionality to consider. If I'm putting this on an FS7 that can already record 10 bit 4k internally, what do I need the Atomos for? The use of pages and tools on this new generation of SmallHD monitors is a major leap forward in terms of user interface, in my opinion. I always found the interface for all previous SmallHD products to be terrible. I've also used TV Logic. Nothing I have seen is as easy to use in the field as the 502, so I am one of those people looking forward to this. And the price is shockingly lower than I would expect considering the prices for the DP7s.

September 10, 2015 at 3:41AM

Spot on. The 500 series destroys the Atomos' screens. If you don't need an external recorder then this is worth the extra cost for the quality IMO.

September 10, 2015 at 11:54AM

Too little, too late SmallHD, too little.... Too late.

September 10, 2015 at 2:18AM

Terrence Klaverweide
Art Director

$1500.........for a 7" monitor? Are they serious?

September 10, 2015 at 5:59AM

Jerry Roe
Indie filmmaker

$1500 is actually still a competitive price for a 7" screen that is FullHD and also have SDI. The Ninja Assassin at $1300 is HDMI only, and most of the other screens below $1500 are not even FullHD.

As a focus puller, that extra resolution makes a difference. That being said, I really wish TVLogic has a 6" or 7" screen. Love their screen!

September 10, 2015 at 8:39AM

Joe Gunawan
DP/Camera Op/1st&2ndAC/Commercial Photographer

Have you tried the 502? I don't ever want to see a TVLogic again after having used it. The interface and screen quality is on a whole different level!

September 11, 2015 at 1:27PM

Oscar Stegland
DP/Steadicam

The Video Assist from BMD coming out in a month is only 5" but is 1080p, has SDI/HDMI and records Prores HQ. Small HD is a little nuts here.

September 10, 2015 at 10:19AM

Josh.R
Motion Designer/Predator

For $1600 Video Devices will soon sell a 7 inch 1080p touch-screen monitor with a 2K / 4K recorder with both HDMI and SDI input and output, and can record ProRes at 4:2:2 or 4:4:4. Brightness is only 500 nits, but given that it's also a 2K / 4K recorder that's not a huge drawback.

September 10, 2015 at 1:12PM, Edited September 10, 1:17PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

That's the one I'm waiting for!

September 11, 2015 at 6:55AM

Jerry Roe
Indie filmmaker

I've used the PIX E5 on a feature. It's better built and easier to use than Atomos. But it's only 400 NITs. Which is bright by most small monitors but not bright enough for gimbal, steadicam or use outside without a hood. So yes, the low NIT rating for many operators is a deal breaker.

December 14, 2015 at 1:16AM

Tim Naylor - DP
Director of Photography

So there's no point of buying DP7 anymore?

September 10, 2015 at 2:36PM

John Mark
DP

I'd say the DP7 OLED is a bit more accurate in terms of color. But not by much. I find the IU on the 702 light years ahead. I never liked the fiddly touch screen on the DP7. Annoyed the f&$* out of me. Problem with OLED's is they never get bright enough for outdoor use without a hood. 702 crushes it outdoors.

December 14, 2015 at 1:13AM, Edited December 14, 1:13AM

Tim Naylor - DP
Director of Photography

I love their monitors but I've always been a fan of assignable hot-keys. I wish this had about 5 simple buttons on the right side that you could assign functions to. Also, since hdmi transmits audio, how hard or expensive would it be to place a tiny speaker inside of these monitors for people who want to hea audio playback along with picture? I use my ac7 with my dslr and have wished I could hear audio on playback many times.

September 10, 2015 at 4:02PM

Dantly Wyatt
Musical Comedy & Content Creator.

I hear you about the buttons but the truth is the interface is so quick and well thought out that you won't need em. I accomplish my various functions much quicker with the joystick than any other monitor's buttons.

September 11, 2015 at 1:32PM

Oscar Stegland
DP/Steadicam

This monitor will be a pro standard in the coming months. I've used Atomos and the Pix Monitor / 4k recorders extensively. In terms of IQ, features, useability and OS, they don't come close to the 702. Anyone who does this day in and day out, knows that a bright monitor with an accurate image that runs on NP/LP batteries, just doesn't exist right now, until the 702. When you shoot outside on sunny days, do steadicam or gimbal work, a monitor over 900 NITs is an absolute necessity. The problem is most hi bright monitors have lousy contrast and can't be relied on for monitoring IQ. The 702 is the first to truly solve that at a reasonable price.

The OS is incredible for setting up different aspect ratios, markers, scopes and looks for different spec'd gigs. I have one page with several LUTs so I can audition them quickly. The first page is always the unadulterated camera feed. It is the fastest, easiest and most powerful UI I've used on a monitor. The IQ is excellent. I do wish it could record H 264 so directors could review dailies on their own. I don't need 4k recording as most cameras already do that. From someone who's owned or used Small HD, Flanders, Panasonic, Sony, Atomos and Pix, I say, try it out. I guarantee you'll be blown away.

December 14, 2015 at 1:09AM

Tim Naylor - DP
Director of Photography

Thanks for adding your comment Tim. I'm currently debating between the 502 & 702 and your comments really helped me out.

March 4, 2016 at 6:11PM, Edited March 4, 6:11PM