November 30, 2015

The Apple Box That Doubles As a Hi-Hat

You might be familiar with mounting a Hi Hat to an apple box, but what about mounting the tripod head directly to the apple? News Shooter was in Japan at this year's Inter Bee to check out a product that does exactly that, with 100mm and 150mm bowls built right in:

This may very well exist somewhere else and I just haven't seen it or heard of it, but part of me actually likes this idea. It's a neater way to store and transport the Hi Hat, as you don't have this weirdly shaped piece of wood and the metal mount that's difficult to stack anything on top of. I should probably reiterate that Hi Hats work perfectly fine as they are, and you can certainly attach one to an apple for easier stacking, but having it all in one is definitely an interesting concept. These will come with either 100mm, 150mm, or both on the same apple.

News Shooter says these will run from $250 up to around $450, so either "expensive" or "right where it should be" depending on which side of the filmmaking fence you happen to land on. Unfortunately, the company that makes these, Metal Toys, does not have a website, but you might at some point be able to get them from a distributor like System 5. Maybe we'll see a similar concept in the US (unless, again, someone already makes something like this).

Guy doesn't know how to where a ninja mask. He'll be dead soon...

November 30, 2015 at 11:51AM

Vidrazor

How to "where" it? Since "where" isn't a verb, I guess we'll ALL be dead soon.

December 4, 2015 at 5:39PM

David Gurney
DP

I would definitely use this. I think I'm going to make one now...

November 30, 2015 at 3:50PM

JP Summers
Director of Photography

I know he is a real Ninja because of the ninja star sewn into the left hand piece.

Only "real" ninjas have those.

Right?

November 30, 2015 at 4:40PM

treykaiza@gmail.com
Cat Herder

Not so convenient in my opinion. A lot of ACs use a camera cart with brackets under it to be able to store a hihat and a lowhat. I rather have a flat board than a box, it's easy to strap on anything (dollys, truck tailgate, etc) Interesting concept but I can't see a real need for this other than being a nice looking design for bowl head.

November 30, 2015 at 5:02PM, Edited November 30, 5:03PM

Danny T
Photographer

I don't see why I would bother buy one when it looks so easy and cheaper to make it myself.

December 1, 2015 at 6:43AM, Edited December 1, 6:43AM

AvdS

How about the pelican case that doubles as a hi-hat? Now that would be good. It would need a round hole where you could swap the bowl for a flat plastic cover.

December 2, 2015 at 10:15AM

Jonathan Gentry
DP Potomac Media

So, we are going to make one. Do you have tip where to buy bowl head like one that they use. I found this on ebay, but imho it´s still a lot of money for a piece of metal. Do you know about any blueprint or measure of bowl head? Thanks :)

December 2, 2015 at 12:33PM, Edited December 2, 12:44PM

Aleš Koutenský
Executive producer, DOP, Editor

What's the point of this? You still have to buy the bowl or bowls to mount in the box, and they're not cheap. So you might as well buy a proper hi-hat tripod like this, for (in all likelihood) less money: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/860081-REG/Induro_472_101_DR_Hi_Ha...

December 4, 2015 at 5:44PM