January 14, 2016

2016 Academy Award Nominations

2016 Academy Award Oscar Nominations Logo

It's been another interesting year for nominations, with some of the same folks returning from the Golden Globes, along with a bunch of surprises (as usual). Scroll down for the complete list of nominations, and be sure to check out the show live on Sunday February 28th, at 7PM EST/4PM PST (on ABC).

Here's the complete video of the nominations being announced:

Best Picture

• The Big Short — Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner
  • Bridge of Spies — Steven Spielberg, Marc Platt and Kristie Macosko Krieger
  • Brooklyn — Finola Dwyer and Amanda Posey
  • Mad Max: Fury Road — Doug Mitchell and George Miller
  • The Martian — Simon Kinberg, Ridley Scott, Michael Schaefer and Mark Huffam
  • The Revenant — Arnon Milchan, Steve Golin, Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Mary Parent and Keith Redmon
  • Room — Ed Guiney

• The Revenant — Jacqueline West

Documentary Feature

• Amy — Asif Kapadia and James Gay-Rees
  • Cartel Land — Matthew Heineman and Tom Yellin
  • The Look of Silence — Joshua Oppenheimer and Signe Byrge Sørensen
  • What Happened, Miss Simone — Liz Garbus, Amy Hobby and Justin Wilkes
  • Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom — Evgeny Afineevsky and Den Tolmor

Documentary Short Subject

• A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness — Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy
  • Body Team 12 – David Darg and Bryn Mooser
  • Chau, Beyond the Lines — Courtney Marsh and Jerry Franck
  • Claude Lanzmann: Spectres of the Shoah — Adam Benzine
  • Last Day of Freedom — Dee Hibbert-Jones and Nomi Talisman

Makeup & Hairstyling

• Mad Max: Fury Road — Lesley Vanderwalt, Elka Wardega, Damian Martin
  • The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared — Love Larson, Eva von Bahr
  • The Revenant — Sian Grigg, Duncan Jarman, Robert Pandini

• Star Wars: The Force Awakens — Matthew Wood and David Acord

Sound Mixing

• Bridge of Spies — Andy Nelson, Gary Rydstrom and Drew Kunin
  • Mad Max: Fury Road — Chris Jenkins, Gregg Rudloff and Ben Osmo
  • The Martian — Paul Massey, Mark Taylor and Mac Ruth
  • The Revenant — Jon Taylor, Frank A. Montaño, Randy Thom and Chris Duesterdiek
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens — Andy Nelson, Christopher Scarabosio and Stuart Wilson

Best Actor

• Bridge of Spies — Thomas Newman
  • Carol — Carter Burwell
  • The Hateful Eight — Ennio Morricone
  • Sicario — Jóhann Jóhannsson
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens — John Williams

Production Design

• Bridge of Spies — Adam Stockhausen (Production Design); Rena DeAngelo and Bernhard Henrich (Set Decoration)
  • The Danish Girl — Eve Stewart (Production Design); Michael Standish (Set Decoration)
  • Mad Max: Fury Road — Colin Gibson (Production Design); Lisa Thompson (Set Decoration)
  • The Martian — Arthur Max (Production Design); Celia Bobak (Set Decoration)
  • The Revenant — Jack Fisk (Production Design); Hamish Purdy (Set Decoration)

Visual Effects

• Ex Machina — Andrew Whitehurst, Paul Norris, Mark Ardington and Sara Bennett
  • Mad Max: Fury Road — Andrew Jackson, Tom Wood, Dan Oliver and Andy Williams
  • The Martian — Richard Stammers, Anders Langlands, Chris Lawrence and Steven Warner
  • The Revenant — Rich McBride, Matthew Shumway, Jason Smith and Cameron Waldbauer
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens — Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Neal Scanlan and Chris Corbould

Adapted Screenplay

• Brooklyn — Nick Hornby
  • The Big Short — Adam McKay and Charles Randolph
  • Carol — Phyllis Nagy
  • The Martian — Drew Goddard
  • Room — Emma Donoghue

Original Screenplay

• Bridge of Spies — Matt Charman, Joel & Ethan Coen
  • Ex Machina — Alex Garland
  • Inside Out — Pete Docter, Meg LeFauve, Josh Cooley, Ronnie del Carmin
  • Spotlight — Josh Singer and Tom McCarthy
  • Straight Outta Compton — Andrea Berloff, Jonathan Herman, S. Leigh Savidge, Alan Wenkus, Andrea Berloff

Who were your favorites and who do you think should have been nominated? Feel free to share below.

I did not expect Mad Max to get that many nominations, but that's pretty awesome. I have a feeling that the Revenant will win a good amount of the awards it was nominated for though.

January 14, 2016 at 8:49AM

Alex Everingham
Video Editor

This is already pretty embarrassing. The Martian is nominated for Best Picture instead of The Hateful Eight, Son of Saul, or Anomalisa? Come on.

January 14, 2016 at 9:00AM

Jacob Floyd
Writer / Videographer

And straight outta compton got nominated, rather than the hateful eight for best original screenplay. This is why I stopped watching the award years ago

January 14, 2016 at 9:35AM

And I just assumed that Ex Machina would be nominated for Best Picture.

January 14, 2016 at 1:50PM

The Martian should have got Directing, if anything, but the movie was a popcorn flick. I didn't like Hateful Eight, but you're so right about Anomalisa. I think Inside Out should have been nominated in this category as well. But at least Star Wars wasn't nominated.

January 14, 2016 at 5:22PM, Edited January 14, 5:22PM

Andrew packer
Screen writer

Why directing? He shouldn't get anything. Directing is just average/good...Ridley Scott was never a great director. His movies were always amazing visually with interesting story, but he is not good at showing emotions.

January 15, 2016 at 2:53AM

Andy Tokarski
Director, Editor, Colorist

Really surprised that Sicario didn't get a nod for anything except cinematography. One of the best films of the year...

January 14, 2016 at 9:19AM, Edited January 14, 9:19AM

Terrell Lamont
Director, Director of Photography

Doesn't fit the Academy Awards profile. American History X was nominated for one academy award. Edward Norton lost to Cuba Gooding Jr. It's one of the best films ever. The awards are treated like high school "most likely to..." awards. It's about who's friends with who and who likes who unfortunately

January 14, 2016 at 9:42AM

Apparently, too many are friends with Quentin Tarantino at the Oscars.

January 14, 2016 at 10:37PM

Not the right friends I guess ;P

January 15, 2016 at 11:03AM

You don't believe hateful eight deserve the nominations it got?

January 15, 2016 at 11:50PM

You voted '-1'.
Alex Ashman
Student

Why did it deserve Cinematography nomination?

Were any other movies more beautifully and interestingly shot? None? 90% of the movie was in the cabin. Nothing of note in the cinematography happened there. It just looked average. There was a couple of beautiful shots outside. But there wasn't enough for it to be deserve to be among the top 5 cinematography works. Seriously.

January 16, 2016 at 1:42AM

Sicario was also nominated for Score and Sound Editing, so three altogether. But I agree, I would have loved to have seen it nominated for Best Picture.

January 14, 2016 at 10:32AM, Edited January 14, 10:32AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

I thought they would win the Cinematography.

January 14, 2016 at 12:31PM

Keith Kim
Photographer

I am disappointed that End of the Tour got nothing. Granted there are more than a few of the top movies that I have not seen yet, but that was my favorite of 2015. It is dialogue heavy but it's great dialogue and - thanks to excellent performances by Eisenburg and Segal - there is always something else going on below the surface. I suppose the filmmakers did not campaign enough... or at all.

I am also surprised that Mad Max has so many nominations. I really enjoyed the movie but I never thought it would win awards.

January 14, 2016 at 10:38AM, Edited January 14, 10:38AM

I still can't believe Sicario didn't win Cinematography.....
I saw Revenant but I still this Sicario was better. Just my opinion.

January 14, 2016 at 12:30PM, Edited January 14, 12:30PM

Keith Kim
Photographer

And your telling me benecio didn't deserve a supporting actor nom? Sicario not being included over Mad Max is ridiculous and shows how corrupt/buddy buddy the Oscars have become.

They didn't even nominate "going clear" because the oscars is run by scientologists.

Mad Max getting so many nominations shows how downhill our industry is going. Terrible unwatchable film with no story, bad acting, but looks so pretty with all the fake looking VFX. I had to walk out after twenty minutes, it was terrible.

It doesn't belong anywhere beside special effects, and should lose because they look too fake.

This is the first year I won't be watching the Oscar, also can't bear to see Leo lose to Mad Mad.

January 15, 2016 at 7:02AM, Edited January 15, 7:02AM

What are you on about? Mad Max is a great action movie. Lots of good action going on, good cinematography. And besides, the visual effects are not lots of cgi but actual explosions etcetera, so I don't really understand how you can call them fake.

January 15, 2016 at 11:55PM

Alex Ashman
Student

A lot of my favorites of the year did not do well. "Steve Jobs," "Suffragette." Pretty shocked that "Hateful Eight" was largely shut out, though it was not one of my favorites.

January 14, 2016 at 1:00PM, Edited January 14, 1:00PM

Maybe it was not favorite of many.

January 15, 2016 at 5:46AM

Film Editing Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Original Score Star Wars: The Force Awakens— John Williams

Production Design Mad Max: Fury Road

Visual Effects: Ex Machina

Original Screenplay: Ex Machina

January 14, 2016 at 1:19PM

SICARIO was easily the best film I saw in 2015 and it's nominated for only sound editing?! Totally lame. Great, tight, thought-inspiring script. great actors, AMAZING cinematography (would we expect anything less with Deakins lensing it?) and not even a mention of it for best picture, cinematography or script.

The Revenant, for all it's 2 1/2 plus hours was, frankly, kind of boring and left me thinking "Why the hell would you make a film about this?" Don't get me wrong. Innaritu is my favorite director these days and filming it was a technical feat, but it is not that great a film and is almost an homage to wanky Terence Malick flics (I loved The Thin Red line, but everything since has been terribly self-indulgent and boring)
Spotlight: so much potential, but poorly executed and pretty boring.

Mad Max: Come on......REALLY?? a teenage wank-fest with almost no dialogue??

The Martian....lame and pandering to a seemingly "thick" audience as always

The Big Short: interesting look at our big banks and the thieves they are, but not terribly compelling.

The Danish Girl: Had to shut it off 10 minutes in, it was so bloody precious and cutesy. Two great actors and one lame director. I felt sorry for the actors.

This year's Oscars consists of too many "I'll scratch your back if you'll scratch mine" films. It appears that the accountants have their hooks ever-deeper into the creative process and continue to ruin films and dumb-down audiences. The only thing I agree with is Kate Winslet for best supporting actress in "Steve Jobs" She was almost unrecognizable. Amazingly subtle eastern-european accent. Great work.

January 14, 2016 at 4:48PM

Drew Staniland
Actor/Videographer/Writer/Director

Sicario was nominated for Best Cinematography.

January 14, 2016 at 5:34PM

Alexandra
Videographer / Documentary Filmmaker

Dude, I totally agree. Glad other people feel the same as me.

January 15, 2016 at 7:04AM

Mad Max: Fury Road was the only cinematic picture of the bunch and pretty much the only film worth a damn in 2015. I'm surprised by the lack of love for The Hateful Eight though.

January 14, 2016 at 6:44PM, Edited January 14, 6:45PM

Hateful 8 had a pitifully shallow script, and journeyman acting and directing. It had many disgusting scenes, needless explosions of blood, and shock for the sake of shock. It was not good storytelling.

The only thing good about it was how the stagecoach looked.

January 14, 2016 at 10:32PM, Edited January 14, 10:32PM

We get it man, you hate hateful eight. holy shit, do something else for the sake of your health

January 18, 2016 at 9:53AM

I don't hate it.

And I'm feeling great. :-)

January 20, 2016 at 7:28PM

Precisely. I dont why all the hate with Mad Max, its a masterpiece and one of the best movies of the year, most of us tend to think best picture, directing, cinematography etc should go to drama movies with that dark feeling to it, which is not true, and George Miller showed us that he is a master at his craft and here is the result.
I think it definitely should win best editing!

I haven't watched the Hateful Eight but normally Tarantino does good with his screenplays so I can't argue with that.

I would like to see Deakins get is long awaited oscar with Sicario, I would really love to see that but unfortunately the revenant is something else, Chivo has been os steroids for the last 3 years.

And please its also about time DiCaprio gets an oscar!!!!! :D

January 15, 2016 at 5:26AM, Edited January 15, 5:28AM

Kelvin Nhantumbo
Director, Screenwriter

Mad max is terrible, The only film of the year I couldn't get passed 20 minutes. Even the shitty point break remake is better.

January 15, 2016 at 7:07AM

I respect your point of view!

January 15, 2016 at 8:02AM

Kelvin Nhantumbo
Director, Screenwriter

Happy to see all the Sicario love here. I'm agreed that it deserved more nominations. Emily Blunt's performance was so good! The direction was so intense. I'm rooting for Deakin's long-deserved Oscar, but I feel like a flashier film will take it.

Hateful Eight - I understand people disliking the film, but it's difficult for me to understand anyone attempting to objectively slate it as anything but an excellently made one. Am surprised (and sad) it didn't get a best picture nom.

Inside Out deserved a nomination in the best picture category, too.

January 14, 2016 at 8:50PM, Edited January 14, 8:50PM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

Sicario not nominated for best picture shows Hollywood's left political bent. But then, I knew it wouldn't be nominated right after I saw it. The scene of Benicio Del Toro with the big bottle of water assured it would never get nominated for best picture.

Sicario was the best movie of the year. Oscars be damned.

Hateful 8 best cinematography? LOL. There was NOTHING noteworthy about that movie.

Huh, funny, I found the water bottle scene on the internet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj3or4iEcFA

January 14, 2016 at 10:26PM, Edited January 14, 10:54PM

I LOVED SICARIO.. watched it twice in a row, but I knew there's no way in hell it would get best picture or best directing. It had no happy ending and was too dark of a film for the academy awards. However I am really happy it got nominated for Cinematography because it was actually UNBELIEVABLE

January 14, 2016 at 11:38PM

Frogy
Director / Shooter / Cutter

Really no nomination for Spielberg? No nomination for Sicario (best picture)? Zero nominations for Macbeth? So many nominations for average Martian (I wouldn't give it even one nomination besides VFX & Sound)?! How brain damaged can you be to nominate Martian for the best picture?

January 15, 2016 at 2:49AM

Andy Tokarski
Director, Editor, Colorist

Best Director and Supporting Actor Nomination for Sicario??

January 15, 2016 at 7:55AM, Edited January 15, 7:55AM

Best actor...Jake Gyllenhaal in Southpaw. Not even a split decision. He should have been nominated...at least.

January 15, 2016 at 2:16PM

List of films I would like to win :

Best picture - Big Short
Directing - Inaritu
Cinematography - Lubezki
Best actor - Di Caprio
Best supporting actor - Rylance
Best adapted screenplay - Big Short
Best original screenplay - Bridge of Spies
Best editing - Big Short
VFX - Star Wars

I don't care about other categories.

January 16, 2016 at 12:57PM