Your Guide to the 2016 Spirit Awards
The Film Independent Spirit Awards are back to celebrate yet another year of contributions indie filmmakers have made to the cinematic community, and we're here to get you up-to-date.
2016 Spirit Awards Winners
Find out which films and filmmakers went home with awards here.
Below is our coverage of films that are up for an award. First, our exclusive interviews with the nominees:
- How the Filmmakers Behind Sundance Hit 'Tangerine' Shot on an iPhone & Got Cinematic Results
- Reed Morano on Taking Risks and Giving Actors Freedom for 'Meadowland'
- Using Character to Create a Future World in RED EPIC-Shot Indie Sci-Fi 'Advantageous'
- 'When We Weren't Filming We Were Selling Trees': An Interview with 'Christmas, Again' Filmmakers
- Filming at 21,000 Feet in Jimmy Chin & Chai Vasarhelyi's Sundance-Winning Doc 'Meru'
- Unpacking 'The Look of Silence' with Oscar-Nominated Director Joshua Oppenheimer
- Everyone is Spying on Everyone in (T)ERROR, the Sundance Film the FBI Doesn't Want You to See
- Finding Story, Creating Tension, & Defying Expectations with the 'H.' Filmmakers
- How An Organized Workflow Can Help You Be A More Creative Editor [Advantageous, Best of Enemies]
- What Is the Ideal Relationship Between an Editor & Director? Sundance 2015 Editors Weigh In [Advantageous, Best of Enemies]
(Best Feature, Best Director, Best Screenplay)
- Charlie Kaufman's Sundance Cinema Cafe: 'Animators Are Actors in Their Own Right'
- How a Stop Motion Animated Film is Brought to Life: Charlie Kaufman's 'Anomalisa'
(Best Feature, Best Cinematography, Best Director, Best Screenplay)
- 5 Essential Tips From Oscar-Nominated Screenwriters of 'Carol' and 'Room'
- Oscar-Worthy Cinematography: A Look at the 2016 Academy Award-Nominated Films
- 'Anatomy of a Scene' is a Treasure Trove of Director Narrated Scene Breakdowns
- Understanding the Value of Shooting on Celluloid with 'Carol' DP Ed Lachman
(Best Feature, Best Director)
- Watch the Red Band Trailer for 'Tangerine', the Sundance Hit Filmed on an iPhone 5s
- The Feature Film That Blew Everyone Away at Sundance Was Shot on an iPhone 5s
- How Sean Baker's 'Tangerine' Shines a Light on Hollywood's Diversity Problems
(Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Editing)
Here are links to the screenplays for the films nominated for either Best Screenplay or Best First Screenplay, available for free, legal download:
And here are a couple of spoofs from the show for kicks:
You can check out the Spirit Awards live on IFC today at 2pm PST/5pm EST, and if you're a cable subscriber, you can stream the show live on IFC.com.