April 22, 2016
NAB 2016

Glidecam's Ultra-Shot Hybrid is a Shoulder Pad, Stabilizer, Monopod & Hi-hat in One Device

The Glidecam Ultra-Shot Hybrid is a 5-in-1 support tool for $500.

For fun n' gun shooters, doc filmmakers or people who just want to be able to adapt quickly to the situation, this piece of kit is the epitome of versatility. There are a few different versions of the unit: a 4lb, a 6lb, a 5' 11' version and a 4'8" version. The Ultra-Shot Hybrid will be available later this year.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

More of No Film School's coverage from the NAB showroom floor:

LOVE IT. I've been in so many situations where I've needed something like this. I, like most shooters I'm sure, have usually just had to come up with creative solutions in the field. Excited to hear more about this product. I'm actually relieved that there wasn't 50 different camera announcements this year. Nice to see a variety in new solutions coming down the line.

April 22, 2016 at 1:03PM

Bryan Tosh
Director of Photography

This is the most practical product I've seen that's been reported. Most of the 'all-in-one' stuff seems really over the top and ridiculous. This is legit.

April 22, 2016 at 2:52PM

Nick Rowland
Street Bum

With the idea of doing everything, it does nothing well. I will never put a dime on this heavy piece of crap. As monopod it will be too shaky on the side, as a stabiliser it's blocked in front of you and you can hit the weight with your leg and as a shoulder rig, we'll for me the idea of the shoulder rig is putting accessories on it. Anyway as documentary shooter I look for something light and I can't afford to carry around a dead weight. 4 years of development for this...?! Come on! :-)

April 22, 2016 at 3:02PM

AvdS

You could mount the camera backwards on the plate, reverse it and the weight would be away from your legs. Voila.

April 23, 2016 at 1:26AM, Edited April 23, 1:26AM

I see the value in it but not $400 and 4 years to develop really! It's a better than most mono-pod and nothing else. I use something very very similar and it's great for hand held stuff that's supposed to be a little shaky and not perfectly stabilized but if you want a super pro look, this will disappoint. A good niche product that gives one good look.

April 23, 2016 at 1:40PM

John Stockton
Filmmaker, Editor.

I agree that it doesn't really do anything well, especially when he showed his "jib" shot, I had a chuckle. But I can see that this can be very valuable to some doc shooters who kind of wants one tool to do multiple decent things. The presenter seemed very passionate about the product, I'm sure this will sell

April 23, 2016 at 2:07PM

Jason Han
Cinematographer

Writing a product off because it doesn't fit your needs is extremely ignorant. I've seen countless products that I thought would be no use to me but I can see their value to other people. Maybe for what you do this wouldn't be useful, but there are limitless jobs out there where a tool like this would be awesome.
I wouldn't jump on it without trying it out first, but for what I do it seems incredibly valuable. Run and gun entertainment news for a community channel with a C100. The budgets are low - they pay well enough if you're not sinking a big investment into equipment, but definitely not enough to spend money on high end gear.
They're also fast environments with locations constantly on the move and the sooner you can be in and out of a shoot the better. If this rig is only half as effective as a dedicated rig in each category, it's already vastly better than nothing at all and would be totally worth it for $500.

April 26, 2016 at 10:59PM

Jeremy Abbott
Video Producer/Independent Filmmaker

Totally misguided. That "shoulder mount" isn't going to work at all, because it doesn't put THE WEIGHT on your shoulder. You're still holding almost all the weight of the camera out in front of you.

I've used the regular GlideCam "stabilizer" and hated it, for the same reason. It's impractical and mostly ineffective for the few minutes you can hold 20 pounds of gear in front of you with one arm as you swoop around.

April 25, 2016 at 3:09AM, Edited April 25, 3:09AM

David Gurney
DP

So many unexciting products this year. Worst...NAB...ever.

April 25, 2016 at 9:49AM