Has Amazon Changed Self-Distribution For Good? [PODCAST]
In this episode of Indie Film Weekly, we ponder the impact of Amazon's new Video Direct service, and dip our toes into the French Riviera with some news from Cannes.
In a move that could be very significant to indie filmmakers, Amazon launched Video Direct, a streaming service that allows anyone to upload content and choose how to get paid for it. No Film School Producer Jon Fusco and I discuss the implications of this move, plus a federal investigation into gender discrimination in Hollywood, two awesome new female cinematographer collectives and Sundance's FilmTwo Initiative. We also bring updates from the 2016 Cannes Film Festival via our Managing Editor, Emily Buder, who is on the ground at the epicenter of international cinema, and who will join me on next week's show for a full report. As always, the show includes our Ask No Film School segment, plus grant and festival deadlines, gear news, upcoming indie film releases, and other notable things you might have missed while you were busy making films.
[Editor's Note: In the show, we express uncertainty as to whether Amazon Studios is still accepting submissions. Turns out, they are!]
Show Links & Mentions
No Film School articles
- Cannes 2016: Why Cannes is Buzzing About Andrea Arnold's Breathtaking 'American Honey'
- Cannes 2016: How Mohamed Hefzy Produced Revolutionary 'Clash' in the Back of a 20-Foot Truck
- Cannes 2016: Why Director Kirill Serebrennikov Was 'Not Afraid of Anything' in Daring Film 'The Student'
- Going Guerrilla: How to Successfully Shoot Documentary Abroad [PODCAST]
- Can't Cannes? Watch Andrea Arnold's Oscar-Winning Short 'WASP' Free On Le CiNéMa Club
- Great Cinematography Comes From Integrity’: Advice From Fierce Female DPs
- Inside the Directorial Manifesto of ‘Creative Control’ Director Benjamin Dickinson
- How 'Creative Control' DP Adam Newport-Berra Created an Augmented Future
- Will Amazon Video Direct Change the Streaming Game by Letting Creators Choose How to Get Paid?
- 'Messing with the Machine': Jacques Audiard on Palme d'or-Winning 'Dheepan'
- All of the Latest Filmmaking Tools From NAB 2016
- GoPro and Google's Odyssey VR Rig is Shipping, Accepting Applications
- REVIEW: The 14 Biggest Game-Changers in Resolve 12.5
Upcoming Deadlines: Grants & Opportunities
- San Francisco Film Society Documentary Film Fund - May 16
- NYWIFT Nancy Malone Marketing and Promotion Grant - May 27
- NYWIFT Loreen Arbus Grant - June 1
- POV Submission - June 15
Upcoming Deadlines: Festivals
- Austin Film Festival - May 20
- Brainwash Drive-In/Bike-In/Walk-In Movie Festival- May 21
- Tallgrass International Film Festival - May 25
- UNAFF (United Nations Association Film Festival) - May 26
Featured image: Scarlett Johansson in 'Under the Skin'