If your work is uncompromising and original, apply to the BitTorrent Discovery Fund for cash and promotional grants.
"We don’t buy content," reads the description for the new BitTorrent Discovery Fund. "Because f*ck content. Because music and film is more than that. Because outside voices need to be heard."
In keeping with BitTorrent's devil-may-care brand, the company is seeking "uncompromising and original" work from filmmakers, artists, and musicians alike to apply to its new fund. The company will award 25 creators up to $100,000 total in cash grants and promotional resources in an effort to "help artists unlock new fans and build impactful releases."
Antithetical to its previous reputation as a piracy mecca, the new face of BitTorrent aims to empower creators. In June, the company launched Bundle, a streaming service that promises filmmakers 70% of ad revenue and 90% of all direct sales revenue for transactional purchases of their content—well above the industry standard. Winners of the BitTorrent Discovery Fund will retain rights to their content after a 30-day exclusivity window with the company.
Because BitTorrent is a distribution platform, it will prioritize applicants with projects that are already in progress. "It’s really about getting [the project] over the line, in collaboration with the creator," said Straith Schreder, VP of Creative Initiatives at the company.
The first winner, SXSW sensation collective: unconscious, has already been announced and is streaming for free on the BitTorrent Now platform.
- Project description (3 pages or less): Tell us about what you are working on.
- Team description (3 pages or less): Introduce yourself, your team, and any similar work you’ve done.
- Release description (3 pages or less): Lay out a clear, specific timeline with your goals and budget.
- Sample references: Provide sample work from the team and/or similar references to your project.
- Acceptance of terms: Download Terms & Conditions and include a signed copy with the rest of your application.
To apply, email a PDF of your application, along with a signed copy of the Terms & Conditions, to firstname.lastname@example.org.