January 4, 2017
CES 2017

Full Specs and Price Have Been Revealed for the Panasonic Lumix GH5

Panasonic Gh5
After months of rumors and speculation, we finally get another piece to the Panasonic Lumix GH5 puzzle.

Back in September, Panasonic introduced us to the newest addition to their GH line of mirrorless micro 4/3 cameras, the GH5, but the intro left us with more questions than answers as we waited rapt and eager for more news to come in about.

Well, today's the day we've been waiting for. Panasonic held a press conference at this year's CES event and released a full list of specs, pricing, as well as a more solid time frame for release for the GH5.

Technical Specifications

• 20.3MP Digital Live MOS Sensor
  • Venus Engine Image Processor
  • UHD 4K 60p Video with No Crop
  • Internal 4:2:2 10-Bit 4K Video at 24/30p
  • 5-Axis Sensor Stabilization; Dual I.S. 2
  • 0.76x 3.68m-Dot OLED Viewfinder
  • 3.2" 1.62m-Dot Free-Angle Touchscreen
  • Advanced DFD AF System; 6K & 4K PHOTO
  • ISO 25600 and 12 fps Continuous Shooting
  • Dual UHS-II SD Slots; Wi-Fi & Bluetooth
  • Price: $1998

The GH5 definitely builds upon its predecessor, namely with its ability to shoot 4K at up to 60p. The brand new Venus Engine image processor, as well as the new sensor are to thank for giving the GH5 processing times that can handle shooting at that level, especially internally. And perhaps that's those are the biggest leaps forward that Panasonic has made with this camera: 4K slow motion and internal recording.

The GH4, though it was a powerful mirrorless micro 4/3s camera, required shooters to use an external recorder to capture 4K images, but Panasonic really listened to their base and beefed up the processing power of the GH5.

But the GH5 isn't just a better GH4. It's a pretty decent all-around camera. It has a high dynamic range with a max ISO of 25600, HDMI ports for high-quality output at 4:2:2 10-bit, 4K Anamorphic mode, optional V-Log L upgrade, and the ability to process Raw image files in-camera for faster post workflow.

Despite early reports of a possible January release date, Panasonic says that the GH5 will be released some time at the end of March of this year. However, you can pre-order the Panasonic Lumix GH5 on B&H right now for $1998.

but will it blend

January 4, 2017 at 2:08PM

Alex Mallis
Director / DP / Editor

That 5-axis is a huge perk. I sold my beloved GH4 about two months ago in case I wanted to pick up a GH5.

January 4, 2017 at 2:15PM

Sean Pettis
Filmmaker

Yes!!! Just wondering how the I.S. will affect the awesome battery life that the GH4 got.

January 4, 2017 at 2:29PM

What about 1080p slowmotion????

January 4, 2017 at 2:17PM

Square Contrast
Audiovisual Content Creator

One of their key feature was 1080 at up to 180, but better IQ compare to the 96 on GH4

January 4, 2017 at 6:39PM

Keith Kim
Photographer

"The GH4, though it was a powerful mirrorless micro 4/3s camera, required shooters to use an external recorder to capture 4K images" Ummmmm, no it didn't. It needed an external recorder to capture 10-bit.

January 4, 2017 at 2:28PM

Phil Spruner
Video Editor and Filmmaker

Pretty sloppy "reporting".

January 4, 2017 at 2:40PM

J Robbins

I agree Sean that comment is innacurate and damn near disrespectful. Not to mention this part: "And perhaps that's those are the biggest leaps forward that Panasonic has made with this camera: 4K slow motion and internal recording." First of all I know the site is No Film School but does that give a free pass to disregard grammar? Personally I think the brand new sensor, the move to 20+ megapixels, internal 10 bit 4:2:2, class leading IBIS, and 1080 slow motion up to 180 fps at a price point of $2K is pretty impressive. Oh and it's in the same size and form factor as the GH3 & GH4 so there's no need to go and replace your existing rig. But what do I know?

January 4, 2017 at 3:23PM, Edited January 4, 3:23PM

Ron Saunders Jr
Producer / Filmmaker

yeah...yikes. whoever wrote this seems to have no idea what they are talking about. I like no film school, i've enjoyed the articles, but this is a little disconcerting. to not know that the GH4 had internal 4k (which was a major competitive selling point to sony) is a problem.

January 4, 2017 at 3:27PM

Dude, chillax. You aren't paying for a subscription here or anything so stop hatin'. They're allowed to make mistakes too. Thanks for all the cool stuff No Film School!

January 4, 2017 at 4:23PM

Roger Paris
Filmmaker

Hmmmmm. Two grand, huh? ...I might spring for it IF....

—We'll see better dynamic range in their video.
—Better low light sensitivity
—A possible raw output...? Is that too much to ask? Why is it so hard for the big camera makers to offer this at a reasonable cost? BMD offers raw internally for cheap... almost like it's a given. But the big companies REALLY want you to invest big dollars for that option. So annoying. There's no reason in the world that we can't have internal raw video (even like a 2.5k) recorded to a fast SDHC on the GH5.

January 4, 2017 at 2:39PM

Dennis Nagelkirk
Write. Film. Edit. Draw. Paint.

I'm curious as to what you shoot with now? What camera offers what this camera does at $2,000 which is a mere middle to low end single day rate for a DP. Internal Raw to me means you should be working with a production cam, probably have a DIT to wrangle your data plus a colorist to make it worth while to be shooting in RAW. This all coming from someone who's never shot raw video so take it with a grain of salt. I use RAW for my stills only. But seriously, $2000 for this tiny beast! I'll take one!

January 4, 2017 at 10:19PM

I assume since he is talking about Blackmagic he has the Blackmagic cinema 2.5k which shoots raw internally. You can easily get it for under 2k as far as i know.

January 19, 2017 at 10:48AM

Since NFS didn't provide any links, here's the intro video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPxKZ2MWgdI plus:
video sample 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUgItk2J-bw
video sample 2 (60p): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoYbqSxPWrA
b and h interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eRbB6kLCE8
Article also failed to note GH5 will offer 6K anamorphic shooting firmware update this summer, plus 400 mbs internal 10 bit late this summer as well. That's right, you can buy your own 6K anamorphic camera for less than 2 grand and shoot your own Hateful 8/Lawrence of Arabia/The Master masterpiece:)

January 4, 2017 at 2:44PM, Edited January 4, 3:18PM

J Robbins

January 4, 2017 at 3:22PM

thanks!

January 4, 2017 at 3:27PM, Edited January 4, 3:28PM

Small rolling shutter, IBIS, better performance in low light, wider field of view in 4K, 4:2:2 10 bits... I think it has almost everything. Well, it only needs a lower price.
I have a GH4 and works very well, and I can't wait to have this one.

January 4, 2017 at 3:26PM

1080 at 180fps
Waveform & Vector Scope built in
1080 10bit 422 at 200Mb/s via firmware update weren't mention neither.
And the 4K seems to be an oversampled 5K.

That ~4M dot viewfinder should be the one used in the Leica SL.
No H.265 though. Anyway, awesome! Canon, do you listen?

January 4, 2017 at 3:28PM, Edited January 4, 3:40PM

4K50/60 used H.265

that's what they said in the Newshooter.com interview...

January 4, 2017 at 6:01PM

seanmclennan
Story Teller

Pretty sure it's only the 6k photo mode that uses the h.265

January 4, 2017 at 11:56PM

Think it's oversampled 6k

January 4, 2017 at 11:56PM

The GH5's sensor is 5188*3888 thats ~equivalent to a 6K image that is being produced in the photo mode.

In 4K video though It only uses 2160 pixels instead of 3888 but the whole 5188 pixels wide that rather makes it an oversampled 5K.

January 5, 2017 at 9:46AM, Edited January 5, 10:01AM

Will metabones speed booster work with this right of the bat or will mb need to make a specific one for it?

January 4, 2017 at 5:08PM

Jsfilmz

Get the Metabones Ultra .71 Speed Booster for micro 4/3 mounts. It will work and give you a 1.42x crop factor (close to Super35). Skip the XL unless you want vignetting on certain crop sensor lenses.

March 26, 2017 at 4:14PM

Yawn

January 4, 2017 at 5:14PM

"The GH4... required shooters to use an external recorder to capture 4K images"

First off, this is false. The GH4 records 4K internally, it just needs an external recorder to capture 10-bit color.
Second, I'm pretty excited for this. I adore my GH4 and the fact that the GH5 will have improved dynamic range, better color depth and richer slo-mo ALONG WITH 5-axis sensor stabilization is mouth-watering. I might need to start saving.

January 4, 2017 at 5:31PM

Daniel King
Videographer, Editor

Does anyone know if the GH5 can write files larger than 4GB? The GH4 split long clips into multiple 4GB files. The files could be seamlessly stitched together in post, but it was annoying, especially since I shoot a lot of long events with multiple cameras and would end up with hundreds of clips to sort through. I hope they fixed this issue with the GH5. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

January 4, 2017 at 5:51PM

The 4GB file segment limitation is caused by the SD card FAT32 formatting and not the camera. To create larger files cameras would have to support other media formats like NTFS or HFS+.

January 4, 2017 at 6:12PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Or ExFAT, which would be the best option as it can be written and on both PC and Mac like FAT32 but without the 4GB limitation.

January 5, 2017 at 3:14AM

Jamie LeJeune
Director of Photography

This is highly relevant because 400 Mbps = 50 MB/s would mean 80 second shots :D

It seems to support exFat: https://suggestionofmotion.com/blog/nab-2015-panasonic-gh5/

January 5, 2017 at 11:16AM, Edited January 5, 11:16AM

Daniel
just a filmmaker

You are correct - the issue is file system compatibility. Many newer cameras use the ExFAT file system instead of FAT32. ExFAT does not have a 4GB limit. Surprisingly the GH4 does not support ExFAT. However the DVX200 does. So there is a lot of hope that the GH5 will as well. But can anyone confirm it?

January 5, 2017 at 3:40PM

Update, if anyone is still reading this: supposedly the GH5 official information "leaflet" says that they will indeed be using ExFAT!

January 6, 2017 at 3:57PM

Shen

The GH5 uses ExFAT formatting and segments it's files at 96 GB, so if you used a 256 GB SDXC card and shot 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 ALL-I at 400 Mbps, you could shoot for 70 minutes and would have three file segments on the card.

January 6, 2017 at 10:02PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Thank you!

January 9, 2017 at 5:54PM, Edited January 9, 5:54PM

@Matthew Elton, sorry to say, but you're doing it wrong. Nothing to be embarrassed about - I did it wrong too for many years, even after I had been told about this. If you use software that properly understands the AVCHD metadata and file structure, and use the right procedures, the multiple 4GB files of a single shot should automatically import/transfer/ingest as a single, seamless long clip that is larger than 4GB.

If you stitch the .mts files manually in your NLE, many times it is not seamless as there is either a video or audio glitch at the junction points. It took me a long time to really take this lesson to heart, but try to get in the habit of not copying the .mts files directly. I finally learned after running into multiple issues from doing it the old way. Another advantage of doing it this way is that you end up with a footage archive of files that are properly named according to how the software names it, usually with the date and time as part of the file name, as opposed to multiple 0001.mts files in the same project, for example.

Search online for the exact procedure for your NLE of how to ingest AVCHD footage properly, or if for some reason your NLE doesn't do this right, there are free footage transfer/ingest utilities that can do this. One example of a free one is Sony Catalyst Browse, for Windows or Mac, and I'm sure there are more - in fact I would love to find others if anyone can recommend.

January 5, 2017 at 1:45PM, Edited January 5, 1:45PM

Shen

Shen, thanks for the advice, but I'm not talking about AVCHD. The GH4 (and presumably the GH5 as well) records 4K files in the H.264 codec with a QuickTime (MOV) wrapper, not MTS. These files split every 4GB due to the FAT32 file system of the SD card.

You are correct that if you shoot in AVCHD mode, you don't have this issue, because the NLE will automatically stitch them together when importing. However you cannot shoot 4K in AVCHD! The AVCHD codec is 1080p only. So your solution only works if you don't need 4K and can tolerate the low quality of the AVCHD codec, in which case you might as well shoot on the much cheaper GH2 or GH3 instead of the GH4/5 since you would be getting essentially the same results.

January 5, 2017 at 3:43PM, Edited January 5, 3:44PM

Matthew, my bad - sorry for my mistaken assumptions! I don't have a GH4 so didn't think about that possibility. I was trying to warn me about something that bit me a few times. Thanks for clarifying things for me!

January 5, 2017 at 4:10PM, Edited January 5, 4:11PM

Shen

GH5 low-light footage at 0:55

Panasonic details what's new with the GH5 camera

Panasonic rep interview with tons of details on the GH5

January 4, 2017 at 6:05PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

That low light! Its most peoples biggest issue with the GH4 and Panasonic seemed to have listened to the compaints! YAY!

January 4, 2017 at 7:11PM, Edited January 4, 7:11PM

John Haas
Cinematographer

Love how Panasonic push their camera, and how they listen to their customers.
I probably won't buy this since I already have a perfectly good camera but I applaud them for always making new cameras with passion for pushing technology and making the best camera for their customers.
Excited for this company always!

January 4, 2017 at 8:11PM

Keith Kim
Photographer

Here's one of the free GH5 camera V-log samples graded...

You can download the GH5 camera V-log samples yourself and try grading them from the video link below...

GH5 video with link to download ungraded V-log footage
( 5 camera files in a ZIP file download : link in the description )

January 4, 2017 at 9:42PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Another good example of grading the sample GH5 V-log footage...

January 4, 2017 at 11:52PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Thanks! Garbage can for that first shot though??, lol

January 4, 2017 at 11:59PM

The lighting was flat and horrible for most of the shots, but it gives you some idea of what the GH5 can do. Eventually better footage will be available.

January 5, 2017 at 6:47AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Video is 10-bit... LOL

January 5, 2017 at 12:35AM

I wish I didn't want this, but I kind of do. I think I'll wait to see what the (awaits attack) C100 Mark iii might look like though. I've worked with both C100's and GH4's and if you forget all numbers, the C100 always looks better.

January 5, 2017 at 5:51AM

Liam Martin
DP, editor, part time director

Interesting comment, Liam. Are you referring either to the C100 or the C100 mk ii specifically?

January 5, 2017 at 8:16AM

Jeroen Pool
Director, researcher, editor

I own the mkii but have worked with both.

I haven't got my own comparison but you can see the difference here: https://vimeo.com/100642275

Don't get me wrong, I'm still sorely tempted by the GH5 with those specs! Ha

January 5, 2017 at 2:24PM, Edited January 5, 2:24PM

Liam Martin
DP, editor, part time director

Liam;
Canon has a good color science, but one can get similar results with GH4 using a LUT or a proper grading. C100 has more DR, thought. This guy found a solution: https://youtu.be/Shp07Kveg-Q
However Sony has a worse color science. Another factor is the kind of image we get used to. If you work with Canon you like Canon colors.

Besides all of that, number are very important. If you forget all the numbers (price, size, weight, etc), Alexa gives you a better image than Canon. The point of GH5 is a camera so small that can give you 4K 4:2:2 with 10 bits and IBIS for $2000. You can be in the middle o nowhere and get high quality footage.

I was visiting Erta Ale volcano 2 years ago and I have nice footage of the lava take with my GH4 at 1 meter of the rim. The place is so remote that if you get sick or injure you die because several days are needed to reach a Hospital. A couple of years before some tourist were killed by bandits. The film team was only me. You can get better image with several heavier cameras. But it is not easy to climb a volcano under 45 Celsius by your self at night. If you work for National Geographic you have money, a better camera, a team, camels, etc. But that was not my situation.

Guys, we have not technical excuses anymore. We couldn't dream about something like GH5 five years ago (6K anamorphic, come on!). We just need to shot. To have ideas...

January 5, 2017 at 1:23PM

Yeah I would definitely admit that I am used to the image from the C100 and C300, so am bound to have a biased view on it.

Your reasons are exactly why I'm going to consider picking up a GH5. I don't do shoots anything like that normally, but I did do one on an island reserve once using a GH3, and you're right it would have been much harder with the C100. It's just that for my regular shoots I'd probably favour the form factor and image of the C100. Just another example of how not all cameras are meant for the same job.

Question is...do I need it?!!? Ha

January 5, 2017 at 2:27PM

Liam Martin
DP, editor, part time director

January 5, 2017 at 2:38PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

180fps Panasonic GH5 Film : "Bored" by Neumann Films
( with links to download GH5 camera footage )

January 10, 2017 at 9:17PM, Edited January 10, 9:17PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Luke Neumann's GH5 Metabones Speedbooster Test

Nice looking footage.

January 16, 2017 at 8:48PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

New hour long video where Panasonic rep Matt Frazer covers pretty much everything the GH5 can do : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXVBMBP3mis

January 25, 2017 at 8:35PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

LUMIX GH5 High ISO Grading Test ( up to 10,000 ISO )

January 29, 2017 at 10:57AM