February 22, 2017

Watch: In David Lynch's Dark and Twisted 'La La Land,' Nothing is What it Seems

This hilarious spoof trailer for a David Lynch-helmed 'La La Land' reveals the power of editing.

Ah, La La Land—the dark, surrealist story of a menacing stalker (Ryan Gosling) and his unwitting prey (Emma Stone) set against the backdrop of Los Angeles, city of nightmares.

At least, that's what La La Land would be if David Lynch directed it. The latest Trailer Mix from Mashable imagines the sprightly 14-time Oscar-nominated film in Lynch's signature cinematic style, complete with ominous music (that theme from Twin Peaks), unnerving sounds, strange and manipulative narrative turns, and the threatening use of dance. It's the stuff of a bad dream

Or, as Gosling puts it in the trailer, "Maedra hte si siht." ("This is the dream," backwards.)

How do you define that very particular Lynchian style? David Foster Wallace put it perfectly: "Lynchian: a particular kind of irony where the very macabre and the very mundane combine in such a way as to reveal the former's perpetual containment within the latter."

Slightly off topic but.. I have not seen La La Land or Arrival yet (Too many projects I'm working on, saving them as a treat for finishing) but my friend who has seen Arrival says it will take the Oscar for Cinematography. I told him I think La La Land will take it from the behind the scenes and clips I've seen.

Between Arrival and La La Land, who do you guys think would take the Oscar for Cinematography? (Maybe neither of them but lets say they were the only 2 contenders)

February 23, 2017 at 1:12AM

Frogy
Director / Shooter / Cutter

Forgot to mention, my friend who has seen Arrival did not know about La La Land until about an hour ago so the trailer is the most he's seen

February 23, 2017 at 1:13AM

Frogy
Director / Shooter / Cutter

Depends on what the Academy is interested in. For me it's between the technical mastery and creativity in La La Land (the cinematography really is something else), and the subtle poetry of Moonlight, both are which are better than anything Arrival did.

February 23, 2017 at 7:28PM, Edited February 23, 7:28PM

Marcelo Teson
Filmmaking Instructor/Sound Editor

My two top picks for 2016....such a hard call.

I feel like they are going to give it to 'La La Land' cause there is so much variety and its purely stunning...as for Arrival being beautiful and cinematic, but not as "daring" as 'La La Land' was.

February 23, 2017 at 11:02PM

Christopher Evans
Video Artist

I thought the original first teaser trailer with City of Stars was fairly Lynchian as it was. My wife almost didn't want to see the movie because she thought it felt creepy.

February 23, 2017 at 7:29PM

Marcelo Teson
Filmmaking Instructor/Sound Editor

Want to play @ClashRoyale ? Want to have more gems?
Here you can find more

February 23, 2017 at 8:48PM

i think u missed the important part about http://www.multyhack.com/soul-hunters-hack/

July 24, 2017 at 8:44AM