Nikon Announces Commemorative Gear for 100th Anniversary
In celebration of its 100th birthday, Nikon has released stylish new gear.
Nikon is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year and has just announced special commemorative products, including specially branded camera and lens kits.
Most notably for filmmakers, Nikon will be offering individual D5, D500, NIKKOR 70-200E, and NIKKOR triple F2.8 zoom lens 100th Anniversary Edition kits. Both the D5 and D500 editions feature exclusive centennial design elements on the cameras and come with commemorative accessories.
The entire package for the D5 and D500 includes:
- Special metallic gray finish on the camera body with 100th-anniversary logo
- Commemorative leather strap embossed with 100th-anniversary logo
- Body cap imprinted with 100th-anniversary logo
- Metal case with a plate engraved with 100th-anniversary logo and serial number
Technically, the cameras themselves appear to be conventional models rebranded with the anniversary design elements.
The swag gets much more interesting with the NIKKOR 70-200E Anniversary Edition lens kit. In addition to a special metallic finish on the lens body and a matching metallic gray lens hood, the anniversary edition comes with a special kit containing the 17 glass elements that are used in the lens, with a display stand. (We have to admit that this causes a bit of excitement here for the lens nerds at NFS.) If you do spring for the kit, remember to handle those elements with gloves only.
The other notable product is a NIKKOR triple matching f2.8 zoom lens set. This kit includes:
- A set of three Nikon FX-format lenses: AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR, and AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
- Metallic gray finish
- 100th-anniversary logo imprinted on the lens barrel
- 100th-anniversary metal case
- The same commemorative serial number imprinted for all three lenses
- Metallic gray coated lens hood
The products are scheduled to be released in June. Though there's no word on pricing yet, the Nikon 100th Anniversary site has the rest of the details. The site also serves as a celebration of the history of the brand; in a nod to the fanboys, it features special interviews with Nikon superfans.