RØDE has proven itself time and time again to be a filmmaker-friendly company with its generous My RØDE Reel short film competition prize packages and continual improvements on affordable filmmaking tools. The VideoMic Pro+, announced today, looks to be a continuation of this trend, adding some useful features to its already popular VideoMic Pro.
Like its predecessor, the VideoMic Pro Plus is a supercardioid condenser shotgun microphone with an integrated Rycote Lyre shockmount, but RØDE claims that it has both an improved RF-immunity and response (20 Hz to 20 kHz). There are also some marked design improvements, like easily accessible digital switching, including a dual high pass filter (75 Hz and 150 Hz) to reduce low frequencies, and a very handy auto-power function that turns the mic on and and off in concert with your camera.
Another handy feature, particularly for run-and-gun shooting, is the ability to power the mic in three separate ways: an included lithium-ion rechargeable battery with a proclaimed 100-hour life, Micro USB charge, and standard AA batteries.
The company has released a detailed overview of the new features below:
Available for pre-order at $299, with expected ship dates in August.
- Dimensions: 6.7 x 4.4 x 2.6" / 170.0 x 111.0 x 66.0 mm
- Weight: 4.3 oz / 122 g
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz to approximately 20 kHz
- High-Pass Filter: Selectable at 75 Hz, 150 Hz
- Sensitivity: -33.6 dB re 1 V/Pa (21.2 mV at 94 dB SPL) ±2dB at 1 kHz
- Dynamic Range: 118.8 dB
- Maximum SPL: 133 dB SPL
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 79.8 dB
- Battery Life: LB-1 Battery Life: Over 100 hours
- Output Connection: Dual mono unbalanced on stereo 3.5 mm jack