From Werner Herzog to Barry Jenkins: Best Advice from Over 50 Filmmaker Interviews [PODCAST]
This episode of Indie Film Weekly gets a jump on the fall festival season and divulges the most useful filmmaking tips we've collected in the past two years.
Jon Fusco, Emily Buder, and yours truly, Liz Nord jump into fall festival season with reports from Venice, Telluride, and TIFF. We also share some positive financial news for indies against the backdrop of the summer blockbuster fail. For her very last episode ever, Emily shares a compendium of all the best filmmaking advice she's received from dozens of interviews with groundbreaking filmmakers.
Charles Haine joins us for gear news, including the world's highest capacity microSD card, and answers a pressing Ask No Film School question about lens adapters and flange focal distance.
As always, the show also brings news you can use about gear, upcoming grant and festival deadlines, this week’s indie film releases, industry wisdom, and other notable things you might have missed while you were busy making films.
Listen to the episode by streaming or downloading from the embedded player above, or find on iTunes here.
Show Links & Mentions
No Film School articles
- Become a Workflow Master, Part 1: Before the Edit
- Become a Workflow Master, Part 2: Edit to Final Delivery
- 6 Stps to Mastering the Organization of Your Equipment
- 'Expect Everything Will Go Wrong': How to Ensure Your First Short Film is the Best it Can Be
- The Courageous Email that Saved 'BoJack Horseman' Episode of the Year Candidate
- Why Did TIFF 2016 Open With a Blockbuster?
Emily's Words of Wisdom interviews
- Charlie McDowell
- Bojan Bazelli
- Garrett Brown
- Morgan Spurlock
- Michal Marczak
- Frankie DeMarco
- Richard Kelly
- Todd Solondz
- Barry Jenkins
- Werner Herzog
- Vitec Attempts to Reinvent the Tripod with the Sachtler and Vinten Flowtech 75
- Canon Adds 3 New Lenses to Its Tilt-Shift Arsenal
- The World's Highest-Capacity microSD Card Can Now Be Yours
- GH5 Firmware 2.0 Offers ALL-Intra Format and 6K Anamorphic Mode
Upcoming Deadlines: Grants & Opportunities
Upcoming Deadlines: Festivals
- Portland Film Festival - September 9
- The Omaha Film Festival - September 11
- World Cinema Milan - September 10
- The Magnificent Seven - September 9
- BoJack Horseman: Season 4 - September 8
- Hidden Figures - September 9
And don't forget! this is your last week to support Jon's Kickstarter campaign for THE GUY.