October 27, 2017

Music Track Not Long Enough for Your Video? This Is One of the Fastest Ways to Extend It

You might as well call this technique a magic trick.

This is one of the most frustrating situations to be in when working in post: You've got your video—it's beautiful, it's gorgeous, and it's longer than the duration of your music track. Damnit. But no worries, there's a solution. You just have to figure out a way to extend it. So you go in, find somewhere in the song that can not only be easily looped but can also give you enough playtime to make all of the effort worth it. Then you do this again, and again, and again until your music track is as long as your video, finishing it off with a little crossfade to hide the cut. Boom! Five million hours later you've got a pretty decent loop of your desired music and all it cost you was a little bit of your soul.

Back when I was editing videos on the regular, I did this exact process constantly, not knowing that there was a better way. But there is, and it's super simple and super fast and Peter McKinnon demonstrates it in the tutorial below.

If you've been using this technique already, that's awesome, but for those of you who may not be familiar with Audition or have just begun your journey as an editor, this is one way to really save time and energy solving a problem that commonly comes up in post.

If you use a different method of looping audio tracks that is fast and easy, share it down in the comments below.

I never knew about this feature. It's great. When will it be in Premiere Pro. No one uses Audition, do they?

October 28, 2017 at 5:06PM

John Stockton
Filmmaker, Editor.

freakin cool audio manipulation! Def utilizing that. I picked the two of hearts, yet I may know how the card trick was done. Well played Shakespeare. I use Audition as it has the wonderful "noise reduction" effect.

October 28, 2017 at 6:41PM, Edited October 28, 6:40PM

Adam R. Taylor
Director/DP

Woww... This is something that I always needed... Coz am probably the worst editor of music... lol.

Thanks.

October 29, 2017 at 2:20AM

Sameir Ali
Director of Photography

This is very cool. That said, it's not always a good idea to have music play constantly, don't you think? Choosing moments without music, and choosing multiple music cues to reflect a change in thought/location/idea, is very helpful, I think. You signal to the audience that there's a new thought or moment when a new cue starts, or the music stops/starts, and you give the audience a kind of sonic break by not having wall-to-wall music. That said, this is a fascinating feature -- I'm curious to try it out!

November 1, 2017 at 7:56AM

Benjamin Reichman
Post Supervisor/AE/Editor

Now is there an option for FCPX or Logic X to do this as it would save me loads of time in post for weddings when I need to loop a section or even in my travel blogs and I dont want to use Adobe products as its way to pricey for my blood

November 3, 2017 at 7:55AM

Adam Mann
All rounders, Camera, DOP, Editor

Nice Black Cherries! Nice trick (I thought I saw the 2S but that was probably just my bad eyesight)! And something about Premiere Pro...?

November 30, 2017 at 3:25AM

Mike Hutchinson
Sound Designer/Translator (Dutch to English)

Online sound editing tools for phones, computers RingTone Cutter Online