Editor Lee Smith talks to us about the films that defined his career, how to navigate the post production process, and what key element that makes a film great.
Today’s guest is Editor Lee Smith, the editor for films like The Dark Knight, Dunkirk, 1917, and Empire of Light. We chat with Lee and find out more about this invisible art. He also describes what it was like working on Sam Mendes's recent film, Empire of Light, which is in theaters now.
In this episode, we talk about…
- Comparing Empire of Light to other films he has done in the past
- The difficulty in choosing takes when working with great actors
- Knowing how things will work in post production
- Solving Rubik's cube situations in the edit
- Trusting your own instincts
- What Lee thinks is the secret sauce to a good film
- The defining film of his career
- Pacing and rhythm of a film
Subscribe to the No Film School Podcast on:
Get your question answered on the podcast by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.