The company behind HitFilm has updated CamTrackAR, an app that allows you to capture video and 3D track the data simultaneously using Apple’s AR technology.
With version 2.0, the app has added new features, including the ability to import 3D models as virtual backgrounds, new chroma key filters for working in blue or green screens, and the ability to import still images to place into virtual scenes.
The mobile software uses the LiDAR scanner on the iPhone and iPad and debuted last year, becoming the first iOS app for content creators looking to simultaneously record footage while camera tracking data in real-time.
With any new software, there are going to be improvements and updates along the way. And while it's not perfect, CamTrackAR v2.0 does save a significant amount of time when creating virtual production previs scenes. The easy-to-use UI makes it simple for anyone to use without a VFX background, and it's a great solution for anyone looking for quick AR placement.
Here's what's new in CamTrackAR v2.0:
New User Interface
- CamTrackAR presents a new and more user-friendly interface providing more control to virtual production scenes
- Designed to be familiar to anyone who uses the default camera app on iPhone or iPad
- Virtual Production Features
- Import 3D models as virtual backgrounds or props, place them dynamically around a scene
- Professional chroma key filter for working with green or blue backgrounds, allowing users to easily select and isolate subjects before applying virtual backgrounds
- Professional de-spill filter to remove color cast from the background onto the subject
- Modify chroma keying properties in real-time to suit your needs and environment
- Real-time compositing and keying to place your actors within a virtual environment
- Camera Controls
- Enhanced camera controls for focus
- New controls for exposure and exposure bias
- New controls for color temperature
- Export camera data to Autodesk FBX format
- Playback and Transfer
The user can play back sessions within the CamTrackAR app on the device of an external monitor (this is still to be confirmed). This allows directors to view dailies or sign off on collaborative scenes on set, rather than delaying until post-production
The free version of CamTrackAR 2.0 is available in the Apple App Store. It allows users to export pre-tracked footage to platforms like Blender, HitFilm Express, and HitFilm Pro.
The paid version adds the ability to add multiple anchor points and exports for After Effects. The price is set at $4.99 per month or a one-time payment of $30.