No RAW over HMDI just yet.
Don't believe the hype. After announcing the Panasonic LUMIX DC-S1H would support Apple ProRes RAW, then setting a firmware release date only to pull it back, Panasonic has gone ahead and rolled out version 2.0 for the Netflix approved full-frame mirrorless camera.
While it's unfortunate RAW over HDMI is not available yet, the firmware does enhance its video functions and improves the camera in other areas.
- Downconverted output over HDMI during [6K]/[5.9K]/[5.4K] video recording is available
- In Creative Video mode, you can disable the operation of starting/stopping video recording by pressing a shutter button
- In Creative Video mode, it's possible to set [Rec Quality(My List)] from the control panel
- The value of noise reduction in [V-Log] in Photo Style has been expanded to [-1]
- It's possible to prevent the enlarged view window of MF Assist to be output over HDMI
- The color banding but in 4:2:0/10-bit video recording has been minimized
- REC RUN timecode will now count up while recording to SD or to an external device over HDMI
- Touch-control is disabled for [Delete All] operation in playback mode
- You can now set [AF+MF] in AFC mode
- Can assign functions to the lens’ Fn buttons when the Panasonic LUMIX S PRO 70-200mm F2.8 O.I.S
- Can assign function to the Fn buttons of Sigma L-Mount interchangeable lenses
- When using the Sigma MC-21 mount converter and [Image Stabilizer] > [Lens] is set to ON , Body I.S.(Image Stabilizer) suppresses roll movement
- Backlight Illumination Period has been added to the menu of Status LCD. [ON1] prevents the LCD backlight to be turned off
- It is possible to select the card slot to save the JPEG images developed by in-camera RAW processing
- [0.5 SEC] has been added for an option of [Duration Time (photo)] in [Auto Review]
- [Off (Disable Press and Hold)] can be assigned to the Fn button
- Fn button can be used for checking aperture effect while the button is pressed
Panasonic and Atomos released a statement saying they "cannot provide the function in the firmware version 2.0 due to some technical issues yet to be resolved." No new date has been set, but the companies are aiming for a quick turnaround.
When it does come to fruition, S1H shooters will be able to capture ProRes RAW via the Atomos Ninja V. Options for full-frame 5.9K, 4K DCI, and 3.5K Super 35 anamorphic will be made available. The Ninja V is capable of 12-bit RAW over HDMI, so it will be interesting to find out exactly what the technical issue was. No Film School will keep you posted.
Firmware version 2.0 for the LUMIX DC-S1H is available here.
Check-Out: Pro Video, Pro Audio, Lighting – Great Deals on Gear you made need !!
With any & every B&H purchase You will automatically be entered into the Monthly Gift Card Raffle.