Summer has sucked without being able to go to the movies. I wrote an article about visiting drive-in theaters, and Walmart obviously must have read it because they're making drive-ins part of their summer mission. And they're partnering with a real film force to make sure the experience is quality.
Tribeca Film Festival and Walmart are partnering to host the Walmart Drive-in, a series of free drive-in movie screenings across the country.
I love this so much, mostly because drive-in movies are amazing.
“We recognize the challenges our customers and their families have faced over the last few months and we wanted to create an experience where they could come together safely to create new memories,” said Janey Whiteside, Walmart’s chief customer officer. “The Walmart Drive-In is one small way we’re supporting the communities we serve.”
Not every Walmart will participate, but you can visit Walmart Drive-In's website to see if one of the stores near you will show films.
So what can you see?
According to Entertainment Weekly, "The offerings, curated by Tribeca, include Black Panther, The LEGO Batman Movie, E.T., and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Fans can also expect virtual or real-life visits from celebrities like Drew Barrymore, LeBron James, and Jennifer Garner."
What else can you watch?
- Sports stories like Friday Night Lights, The Karate Kid, and Space Jam
- Blockbuster franchises including Black Panther, Pokémon Detective Pikachu, The LEGO Batman Movie, Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse, Spy Kids, Teen Titans GO! To the Movies, and Wonder Woman
- Out-of-this-world stories like E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Ghostbusters, and Men in Black: International
- Classic tales including Back to the Future, Beetlejuice, The Goonies, and The Wizard of Oz
- Inspiring true stories from Dolphin Tale to Selena
- Family-friendly picks like Cars, The Iron Giant, The LEGO Movie, and Madagascar
Each movie will begin with a special intro from a celebrity. That means you'll either get a virtual visit or they might be there in person to chat with the audience and MC the event.
Starting today at 5:00 p.m. ET, families can visit the Walmart Drive-In website to see dates, locations, and the movies for each stop on the tour.
Try to find a way to enjoy yourself this summer!