We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

January 23, 2011

Scenechronize is a Web-Based Tool for Production Professionals

Scenechronize is a browser-based production tool that breaks down scripts, prints sides, helps with scheduling, and does a number of other production tasks that I don't have experience with myself. It looks similar to Movie Magic Budgeting, except Scenechronize is a web-based, and instead of a flat price of $500 it's modular and is priced anywhere from free to $2,800. In the works since 2006, the program's creators claim Warner Bros. and Columbia Pictures are already using it. An example screen:

This isn't exactly my area of expertise, as I've not (yet) worked with large enough budgets or crew sizes to necessitate full breakdowns. And when I do -- which should be sometime this year -- I hope to be able to turn this over to qualified professionals. Nevertheless, browser-based production software is certainly feasible, as I use Google Docs far more than the Microsoft Office suite these days, because of the convenience of being able to access documents from anywhere. It's worth noting, however, that Scenechronize does offer PDF and Excel export formats for those times when you're not connected to the cloud.

Anyone out there have any experience with Scenechronize or similar production tools?

Link: Scenechronize - Production Tools for Production Professionals

Have you checked out www.celtx.com ? Same thing as the above program, except its 100% free. Of course, you can upgrade, but not a must. I've used it and it seems to have all of the same features, including budget stuff. Nice write up, but I think celtx is the way to go for us filmmakers on a tight budget.

January 23, 2011

Yeah, I use celtx, but as Koo said " I’ve not (yet) worked with large enough budgets or crew sizes to necessitate full breakdowns" so I use Celtx for scriptwritting only. But it's really cool how you can manage the characters, locations, notes etc. It's a really great app, free, open source and cross platform.

January 23, 2011

maghoxfr

Scenechronize is a great tool. It is very user friendly and organized. It has its problems though. It is unable to be accessed if there is no wifi. Although it does have the PDF it is a pain to not be able to consistently update it. I really wish there was an offline mode that could update when you do get to a wifi source.

January 24, 2011

I'm right in the middle of trying to learn Celtx and now found this. Put on the breaks till I can compare them and make a decision. Thanks for the heads up about this alternative. So much technology, so little time...

January 28, 2011

Ed

Scenechronize is pretty powerful. Its strength lies in the fact that it is whole-production software--every department on the project can use it in different ways that make sense to them, and everyone else can access the info they need. Im not that familiar with Celtx, but I'm guessing that it does not have the ability to assign different levels of access to different people working on a show. For example, a line producer can have access to the budget, but the prop master would only have access to the prop budget. Everyone can access the schedule (including finding out exactly which day and scene each prop or wardrobe item works, etc) but only the ADs or UPM can change the schedule. Script management, scheduling, budgeting, casting, all production paperwork, etc can all be managed through Scenchronize. I'm an experienced user of EP Scheduling (aka Movie Magic Scheduling) and I'm sure that Scenechronize is poised to grab a large market share of that market, due to the fact that it is "cloud" based. And no, you don't need wi-fi to access it--I did an entire TV series using it on an island using a cellular connection. From what I hear, they are working at a purely "off-line" way to work on the program as well. They also just demoed an iPad version at Sundance, which will make it even more powerful. I may be wrong, but I believe it is free to use for one person, and the cost adjusts upward depending on the size of the show & how many people need to access the data. Disclosure: I don't work for scenchronize, but I was a beta-tester a couple of years ago.

January 28, 2011

Mike

Thanks Mike for the valuable info. I can definitely see how cloud-based production software could make team-based production management easier...

January 28, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

I would also recommend Setkick (http://setkick.com). It is cleaner, and a much nicer design than scenechronize - plus it works on an iPad. Any Movie magic alternative is better than movie magic - but personally I have been using Setkick and are very happy with it.

May 22, 2012

I just wanted to say that your article is wrong - Scenechronize looks nothing like Movie Magic Budgeting. Sorry. It's not even the same idea of application.

February 9, 2014

Stephen

I started out on Celtex, then I've been a long time Scenechronize user until I recently discovered Production Minds (https://www.productionminds.com). If you're meticulous enough to do your storyboards and blocking before drafting a schedule, it feels a lot easier. I think their PDF reports look better too, but it's a question of taste I guess. I spent a lot of time cleaning up my call sheets in Scenchronize, which I no longer have to do. Judging from their blog, they made quite a progress since beta, and it already feels like a one-stop tool, but I'm curious to see what else is coming.

Nice website BTW. Kudos to Ryan!

June 22, 2014

Jeremy Taylor

I am developing something very similar myself called: IndieBoogie (http://www.indieboogie.com). It far from complete, and while other platforms focus mostly on having their industry standards implemented and outputted, we focus mostly on indie-filmmakers, making the tools make sense for them, instead of being massively convoluted.

Also, we've integrated the crowd as an option to source your production requirements like cast, crew, location, and props.

Our platform is being developed heavily each day, with new features released on an hourly basis almost. It's very usable at the moment, and I would love it if you guys had a look :)

Danny