Join the discussion about work/life balance in relationships:

May 1, 2011

Canon-Technicolor 'CineStyle' DSLR Picture Profile Now Available as a Free Download

The previously announced Canon-Technicolor joint picture profile, "CineStyle," is now available for Canon DSLR shooters as a free download. We'd heard from Technicolor that the picture style would allow for greater control and latitude, but the question on everyone's mind is, how much can a picture setting do without changing the limited 4:2:0 h.264 codec? I haven't put it to the test myself, but crooked path films did:

The official CineStyle flat picture style looks better to my eye than some of the user-made files out there, but it's still constrained by the color space and codec. However, in over- and under-exposure tests, the Technicolor profile holds sharpness much better. Also see some tests from Vincent Laforet.

Check out the user guide (PDF link), and download the picture profile here:

Link: Technicolor CineStyle

[via Cinema5D]

this Technicolor thing is AMAZING

not because it gets more DR than every other picture style out there, which may be close but probably is not the case, but because it comes with a LUT file that MAKES WONDERS

as all the previous ultra-flat pictures styles, skin tones look awful; supposedly, through grading, I should get nice colors back for the final image, but my skills don't seem to be good enough: all I get is grey people that look like the're made of clay

that's why I stopped shooting flat a few months back, trying instead to get from the camera an image that is close to the final one but offers some limited room for tweaking

but this Technicolor stuff is completely different, because it comes with a LUT table: I downloaded the free Red Giant Magic Bullet LUT Buddy, used it to apply the Technicolor LUT to the image, and voila, beautiful skin tones recovered!

so now I can get a lot of DR on my original footage (that I can use by applying my color grading effects below the LUT layer), and can easily get nice skin tones in my final images (even with my very limited skills): IT'S NEARLY PERFECT (the only drawback being that the codec's 8 bits of color now have to be spread over a larger dynamic range, so there will be more noise in the final images, and codec and sharpening artifacts will be more visible)

here are my tests of this picture style, compared with my previous alternatives:

May 1, 2011

I tried this Picture Profile today and it is great, indeed !

However, I still wonder how the Lut Buddy and the .lut file provided by Technicolor could help here.
I read through all the doc that comes with Lut Buddy and it is clearly said that it is designed to help editors, colorists, CGI artists to have the same preview and render with the help of the generated LUT on different softwares. For example : Color Grading in After Effects and back to FCP.

Maybe I don't understand your tests but here is what I did :
I imported some footage I shot with Cinestyle and the recommended settings in Premiere Pro CS5, put Lut Buddy, imported the LUT file by Technicolor and used Apply LUT.
I then used the free version of Colorista (first time I used it, it's great !) _below_ LUT Buddy, tweaked the buttons.
I tried to see if it changed something by disabling the LUT Buddy filter... It did just nothing.

May 1, 2011

SvenL

a) this LUT is useless if you're a good colorist, but if your color grading skills are very limited, as is my case, this LUT is what makes the Technicolor picture style useful in the first place (without it, my final images wouldn't look good)

b) that's exactly how I intend to use LUT buddy; I didn't run my test on premiere, though; I see premiere has some issues with LUT buddy, the preview image is not updated until you hit play, if at all; and LUT buddy is not CUDA accelerated, so it may create a big performance hit (or maybe not, it's a very simple operation, which leads me to c)

c) I've looked into the .lut file, and I'm puzzled: it seems as if all it contains are 3 curves, for each one of RGB, and they're all the same!! so perhaps, unlike previous ultraflat picture styles, what Technicolor has created is an ultra flat picture style from which you can easily recover nice colors through a simple luma S curve (having the LUT for previous ultraflat picture styles would have helped me a lot; witht he Technicolor one, maybe I won't even need that! I'll have to test it, as it would get rid of all those LUT buddy preview and performance issues)

May 2, 2011

Same thing happened to me. I can't see a difference by applying the LUT with the Magic Bullet effect.

May 5, 2011

Carlos

Okay I got it to work. It may or may not be because I pressed convert on the LUT import box that pops up.

Whatever the case, is anybody seeing heavy render times?

May 6, 2011

Carlos

checked: the LUT table is just an S curve that you can apply yourself and will make the clay people on your flat pictures look alive again
this is completely different to what I have experienced with previous ultra flat picture profiles, and I think it is AMAZING

also, if you don't need the extra DR, it's better not to shoot so flat, as you don't want to spread your 8-bit color space so thin if it's not needed (check the histograms in the link above)

May 2, 2011

I did this no problems. In every form my User Def. 1 is Cinestyle but in video it is standard User Def. 1 with no style.

May 2, 2011

You know what bothers me is Technicolor puts this stuff out with very little instruction or any video 'how-to's' and you have to gleem information from other users and trial and error.
In this information era, what the hell is wrong with them?
Here it is, learn how to use it, we got better things to do.
F*** them.

May 10, 2011

Flochan

Am I the only person that cannot download the technicolor cinestyle profile ?
I've got the download page where it asks for personal details to register, agreed to the terms, but nothing happens.

I've tried using google chrome, firefox (Mac and windows) and internet explorer on windows.
Any help or an alternative download link would be appreciated.
P.s. If your reading this Koo im typing this on my recently build Hackintosh Pro from which your guide played a big part in making possible so cheers.

May 14, 2011

yakyak

I'm experiencing this too. Desperately want the profile for a shoot today...does anyone have a mirror of it?

I emailed technicolor...nothing.

May 14, 2011

Kyle

I also emailed technicolor too, didn't get a reply neither....

May 14, 2011

yakyak

Problem solved, turn off Java script in your browser.

May 14, 2011

Kyle

Thankyou :)

This is the second time this week turning off java script solved a problem lol

May 14, 2011

yakyak

We heard about this and chucked it on our 5D, used it on our next filming job and now I'm having to deal with more noise than ever in post... As soon as I push the greys into blacks and get the whites up I just get loads of noise and colour seperation. This thing is wack! Sure it's a corporate job so I'm using an FCP Colour corrector to grade but that shoudn't matter. It looks loads more noisy than just shooting in Neutral. And yes it was shot on an ISO of under 500.

August 1, 2011