Description image

Behold Our New nofilmschool Logo! Plus We're Partnering with FreshDV to Best Cover NAB

04.3.13 @ 4:34AM Tags : , , , , , ,

Behold our new logo! While our complete site redesign is still a ways off, we’re premiering this new logo, very cleanly designed by David Ceraso, right away on our present site. We are also no longer “NoFilmSchool” or “No Film School” — henceforth we are simply “nofilmschool,” which is how I wrote it when I originally launched the site anyway. We will thus save ourselves (and you) the trouble of hitting the space or shift keys. We hope you like the new logo (and if you’re lazy how could you not like the new capitalization, or lack thereof?). Read on for some further pontification, as well as some news on our coverage of this year’s installment of the world’s largest film/video tradeshow, NAB.

This may go without explaining, but the new logo picks up on this:

And this:

While also being recognizable and distinctive in its own right.

For posterity’s sake, here’s what the old “logo” looked like — when I was designing the site, I never got around to creating a proper logo and so we’ve been stuck without a real logo for years:

Good riddance!

FreshDV Partnership

Next week is the year’s biggest film/video tradeshow, NAB, and NFS editor Joe Marine and I will be there in person. Stop by and say “hi!” if you spot us. We’ll be partnering with our friends at FreshDV for video coverage of the show this year, as they have been doing a great job for many a NAB. Our latest coverage of this year’s show will always be available with this tag, which we’ll publicize more during the show (April 7-11). We’re excited to be bringing you this year’s coverage from the show floor — I think there will be some pretty significant stuff showing up for filmmakers this year.

Like our new logo? Hate the all-lowercase spelling? Let us know…

Oh, and now that we have an actual logo, you know what we have to figure out next… business cards!

Related Posts

1. James Cameron is Going to NAB -- and so is NoFilmSchool. What's the Best Way to Cover it?
  2. Couldn't Make It to Cine Gear 2012? FreshDV Has the Low Down on What's New
  3. How to Create a Logo Sequence in After Effects Inspired by the Movie 'Looper'

COMMENT POLICY

Description image 98 COMMENTS

• Anything’s better that the old logo.

• Colors feel drab.

• My first impression was that it’s a bit off but, I like ‘off’. I’m sure Mr. Ceraso experimented with countless colors before finalizing the color wheel but, I would have liked to see the northwest gray quadrant in a color other than gray. Maybe a purplish lavender hue. I don’t mind the placement of nofilmschool but, I feel the font size is too large. Reducing it by, maybe, 30% might make for better balance. Easy to make armchair criticisms, isn’t it?

• Now just get rid of that nasty banner-picture at the top of the page and align links color with cyan from the logo ;-)

• Hah yeah I’ll tweak the CSS when I get a chance, but remember…. the entire site design is being replaced. So I’m not going to overhaul ALL the colors, just a few accents and the link color.

• john jeffreys on 04.3.13 @ 2:12PM

that logo is so 2011

• Hah, we were actually going for more of a “late 2010″ retro feel.

I appreciate the responses, everyone, and I hear what you’re saying. You’re also looking at it in the context of our old site design which doesn’t help — the site will be changing as well and then the new identity will feel more at home.

More generally, in all of my time running a website and in all of my time as a Senior Designer at MTV, I have never seen a brand refresh that didn’t receive a lot of initial criticism. Many of the most distinctive logos out there were initially bashed or misunderstood. We are very intentionally playing off of — but not using exactly — the SMPTE color bars, and the fact that the logo “sits” on the upper half of the logo is also a distinctive differentiator. Most people do not consciously “get” the arrow in the FedEx logo or the fact that Amazon.com’s “smile” graphic points from A to Z, so if you didn’t get the color bars or counting leader reference initially, that’s fine. And there are other reasons the logo is what it is which will become apparent over time… one that I’ll mention now is that the logo is a very strong “0,” which is synonymous with zero, a lack, nothing… “no.”

Give it some time, once we have the new site up, it’ll grow on you. :)

• Better then the old one for sure. The only critique I have as a wannabe amateur designer is that it doesn’t work without color: see the following: http://wescoughlin.s3.amazonaws.com/nofilmschool-logo-bw.jpg

One solution might of been to add some negative space to the circle to keep it distinct looking.

• Caroline Carrigan on 04.3.13 @ 3:16PM

Hey, stop by the ARRI booth and say hi! Long-time follower…

• As a fellow graphic designer, I feel ashamed that such “things” are considered to be usable. It looks like something that a businessman with no marketing sense would create, and think that it would work. Sorry to say this, but this wouldn’t even qualify as a concept. It’s horrible, boring, colors are bland, the font is not clean, suffers from bad text placement and the emblem doesn’t make any sense, even with the explanation. Not to mention logos shouldn’t even need an explanation, as they ARE the explanation and representation for themselves, that should work even as a stand alone graphic. This is just bad work, sorry.

• Well that doesn’t leave much room for me to respond, so I will just apologize for the offense you feel every time you visit our site in the future.

• hahaha you have passionate readers Ryan. I like the new feel, its welcoming and it says you guys don’t take yourselfs too seriously, pretty accurate representation if you ask me.

• And as a graphic designer *I* will say – I fucking love it. Real nice Ryan! Clean, simple, unique and reads well. And Julian was just rude man. There was no need for that whether he likes it or not. Even Milton Glaser doesn’t have the right to speak to people like that about their work (and almost definitely wouldn’t) – especially if it’s regarding something as personal as a brand or logo.

• Every dork who has played around for 2 hours in photoshop calls himself ‘graphic designer’ and the way you argument tells me you’re just another one of these guys.

• Really? Name calling? I suppose professionalism was not a part of your degree program. That said, dork is probably more accurate than not. 2 hours? More like 40 minutes for the both of them. Of course they’re not spectacular. I wasn’t commissioned to do them, I just had the time to putz around to help make my point. They were for illustrative purposes only. However, I do take a minor exception to your characterizations of my arguments (assuming you were including me in your comment). I’d be surprised if anything I said didn’t come up during the design process, even if in passing.

Don’t forget, Ryan ASKED for feedback. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have said anything. You don’t know the first thing about me or what I’m capable of. I stand by the logos I’ve designed that I’m most fond of and I think they’ve held up extremely well. I’ve also made my share of crap. That’s the nature of the beast. Maybe I’m wrong but something tells me the nofilmschool gang will want the logo to change in 3-5 years. You don’t need to be a chef to know when something could use a little salt. I think the logo needs a little salt. And that’s not just the “designer” in me talking. It’s also the fan and admirer of great logos talking.

• Joe Marine on 04.3.13 @ 8:00PM

All right, let’s settle down everyone.

• I’m good. I even tried to throw in a little self deprecation to help soften my response. At any rate, I’ll give it a rest.

• Brian, why you think I meant you, I didn’t ?!?

• My apologies. Since I was one of the few to give examples, I assumed I was included. We’re good either way. I wasn’t as perturbed as my response may have led some to believe.

• I just re-read your post. I TOTALLY misunderstood your meaning. You meant the guy who made the comment has only spent 2 hours in Photoshop and thinks he’s a designer. I thought you meant the people who submitted examples but maybe only spent two hours doing so were the so-called designers. Damn, I FEEL STUPID NOW., mainly because my reading comprehension skills took a major dive. I don’t know how I messed that up.

• as a fellow.. yea, graphic designer… might we take a moment to remember that any form of art or design is entirely preferential and subjective. There is absolutely no right or wrong way to do something in art. There are “preferred” methods and expectations, but it’s entirely in the eye of the beholder. Any self-inflated ego to be associated with “design” or “art” is as irrational as the presumption that your career is more valuable to society over that of a construction worker – regardless of how much attention or credibility to you have attained. If you’re going to offer criticism, do so effectively, and back your reasons by either offering solutions that you feel would be personally more adaptable, or by defining explanations for why you feel the way you do.

I find it to be very fitting and tasteful, personally.

• I have to disagree on the part that ‘any form of art or design is entirely preferential and subjective.’
        It may be true for art, but usually design has to fulfil a task and communicate certain content.
        In art you can say ‘I chose red because I like it’, in design you cannot.

• Raoni Franco on 04.3.13 @ 4:39PM

Wow here they come with a bag full of stones in their hands! But I have to say I didn’t like it too. I’m not a designer but what bugs me the most is the spherical thingy. For me it seems kinda useless. Just get rid of it and keep it simple, just the text.

• Ben Prater on 04.3.13 @ 6:12PM

Ryan, grats on starting a site redesign. (My big suggestion: make the homepage load fast, I love this site and it always feel like a slug to use especially on my tablet or phone.)

Logo: I have to say — there is something “abrasive” about the gray color in the image part of the logo. It feels dark and dreary — and this site is anything but! Here’s a variation I threw together that feels more light and upbeat: http://i.imgur.com/84EXtvX.png

• This is a great logo, it’s superb branding. I sincerely hope that most of the people here don’t do their own graphics after reading a lot of the reasoning for the dislike of the new logo.

There are plenty of good things about this logo. The color scheme is great, it could use some tweaking, but essentially you’ve already created a great color scheme that I’ll assume will also correlate to sections or articles in the site. There’s at least 4 major sections that could be made from the color scheme. Secondly, it’s simple. Easier to print, to identify, more universal, more easily recognizable. I don’t know what it looks like BOW or WOB, but still, from a distance or in passing I’d get it. Third, it’s relevant. That’s great. It pays homage to film and it’s mantra without being cheesy or over the top, or blatantly obvious. And before people go “oh, it has nothing to do with film”, Apple’s logo doesn’t harken a computer and BMW doesn’t exactly explain itself as propellers.

But hey, what do I care. I just don’t think it’s deserves the vitriol it’s getting. It’s a great brand in the design schema, colors and overall feel. And in today’s world branding > logo.

• Right, Love you site. Love it! The overall design is good. Works on the web and mobile device. Good:) Your banner: never liked it, but this new logo, sorry Ryan, but i don’t like it. Not sure of the concept. I love discovering the detail about the amazon logo, thank you. For me a concept is good, but you gotta have that.. as we say in french «coup de coeur».. hard to translate, but « love at first site». its got to fit when we first see it and your new logo just doesn’t do it for me.. it will grow one me, but its not a branding that attracts me.. its.. awkward. But awkward is cool these days, so i dunno.. but thought i would share my opinion as i love your site and negative feedback is often more important then positive feedback in the world. Thank you for your site, my favorite, check it everyday, no matter what the design.

• Sorry, but it doesn’t cut it for me. Specially that font. But doesn’t mean I wont be coming here anymore! Hope the content stays good and the focus of this. After a few years, NoFilmSchool is one of the only blogs I’ve actually stick with!

• Looks boring. Too google/windows/every other logo with red green blue yellow in a circle.

• I will be vote #14 for logo = lame.

Love the site, but keep working on the logo.

Why didn’t you “crowd source” the logo design here? You post and post and post about crowd sourcing and then this is the best logo you can make?

• WOW never mind. There are 2 pages of people that don’t like the logo. Didn’t know it was disliked so much. Sorry to add to the mess. All that being said you should have ran a contest for fun. Bummer!

• I’m getting childhood nostalgia with the new logo.
    Trivial Pursuit, Uno, Simon…. Look them up on google images.

• Looking fresh. Out with the old, in with the new! Stoked about the new website. Keep up the good work.

• Fresno Bob on 04.4.13 @ 7:45AM

To preface: I actually am a graphic designer by trade working for a very big international company in a branding-heavy role. Have been in the business for 10 years now.

My response? No, it doesn’t work. Why have you highlighted ‘film’? Surely ‘no’ is the key part here.
    You’ve done it so you can separate the words without using space – that’s a mistake.

Too many colours also. Logos should only be 2 colour – a pantone and black.
    Yes I know this is the web age, but a logo should be timeless.

The alignment is off also.
    Grey and blue work well together, so I’d remove all other colours.

• Some of these comments are way out of line here and just plain rude. You should consider a “real name” policy.

• I like the muted colors, folks are saying pastel, I wouldn’t call them pastel. Looks more like aged film, retro, maybe even like a “cinestyle” flat look before grading, nice!
    Also, I like the fact that “no” and “School” standout. That’s how it reads to me.

• I like the fact that you guys got a new logo, but I think it could be better. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like it’s going to prevent me from visiting your site, but I feel like you guys deserve a better logo.

• no offense to the designer, but no me gusta el logo.

• Fredrick Dent on 04.6.13 @ 11:30AM

Nice logo. Clean. Says what it means.

• somehow too much ‘google chrome’ for me.

Comments pages: 1 [2]