June 24, 2014

What if 'Blade Runner' Starred Bogart? Check Out These Great Imaginary Movie Posters

What if your favorite film had been made decades before it actually debuted -- which famous actors would star? Or if a summer blockbuster had been made way back in cinema history, who might have been the director? And what would the poster look like? Such is the theme around which artist Peter Stults' series "What If: Movies Re-Imagined" revolves, taking the form of movie posters from alternative-reality Hollywood. Complete with Golden Age stars and artwork to match the re-imagined time period, the results are truly stimulating to the imagination.

Thanks to Distractify for living up to its name and finding these pieces work. Included below are just a few examples from Stults' firstsecond, and third albums of the series, so be sure to check out the rest of his work (and say bye-bye to your lunch break :).

famous movie film poster actor director artist peter stults jean luc godard anthony hopkins trainspotting

famous movie film poster actor director artist peter stults william shatner natalie wood avatar

famous movie film poster actor director artist peter stults sean connery fifth element

famous movie film poster actor director artist peter stults humphrey bogart marilyn monroe marlon brando blade runner

famous movie film poster actor director artist peter stults james dean spring breakers

These posters certainly make for an exercise in nostalgia -- for bygone eras of another universe, perhaps -- but that 'What If' question also makes for a nicely creative thought experiment. It might not get that screenplay written any faster, but pondering Spring Breakers starring Jimmy Dean gets my imagination juiced up and running full-steam. (Seriously, what would that be like?) And again, what you see here is just the tip of the iceberg, so if you want more, definitely see the links below.

Links:

[via Distractify]

There's got to be a parallel universe where these movies exist. :P

June 24, 2014 at 6:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Coty

I wish I was old enough to appreciate these more. But beautiful work!

June 24, 2014 at 8:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Joey G

you don't have to be old to appreciate these more, if you're interested, just make it a habbit to watch classics every now and then. I love old movies, black and white and colour. I'm only 32 but I can still enjoy a good classic from just about any era. It may have something to do with the fact I was raised by my grandparents, and all that was ever on TV was old movies, I watched everything. I hated it at first because everybody I knew watched current things but not my grandparents, no, they watched TNT and then TCM every day of my life, The only other contemporary films I got to watch was at the cinema and VHS. In a way I'm actually grateful for that kind of upbringing because it made me have a decent attention span and patience,, often needed to watch many classics with the slow pace of most of them. It also made me appreciate cinema and have a taste for it now I love them. I suggest you pick a decent director from an era and watch most of their movies and keep doing that. Although their are some gems out there that may not be on most people's list.

June 25, 2014 at 11:04AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Shaun Fontaine

32! Your done. It's over. Hang up the camera. Jesus was on the cross by 33.

June 25, 2014 at 5:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Matthew

Shut up fool.

June 27, 2014 at 6:51AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Shaun Fontaine

superb as art pieces!

June 25, 2014 at 4:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

pask74

I heard The Bodyguard, made with Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston, was from an older project which was originally going to star Steve McQueen and Diana Ross, though I can't vouch for a motorbike chase.

June 25, 2014 at 6:23AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Saied

Wow, beautiful works of art. I enjoy these types of movie posters. Especially the Fifth Element and 2001. Classic styling. Also, who knows if these were real; these would probably be minor roles back then where they would be discovered.

June 25, 2014 at 7:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

TheDaboia

Jean Luc Goddard directing Trainspotting would pretty incredible. Or it's entirely likely it'd also be unwatchable.

At least Drive couldn't get any worse with James Dean in it.

June 25, 2014 at 11:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Chuck

I also believe John Huston's The Man Who Would Be King, eventually made in 1975 and starring Sean Connery and Michael Caine, was originally going to feature Humphrey Bogart and Clark Gable back in the Fifties, so the poster might have been very similar to what is shown here.

June 25, 2014 at 2:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Saied

The irony about the "Spring Breakers" one. The irony is that they have James Dean in the role that James Franco plays in the film. James Franco played James Dead in a movie.

June 25, 2014 at 9:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Daniel

And Harrison Ford has been copying Bogart anyway.

June 25, 2014 at 11:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

He wasn't copying Bogart, he was copying the typical film noir detective of the 40s, which is what Bogart often played. Blade Runner was an old school film noir done as a sci-fi movie. It's like you are saying every modern comedy actor is just copying Groucho Marx! Ridiculous.

August 10, 2014 at 11:56AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Bababooey

Bravo & nice work . Nvere thought of it ,but Bogey ? Oh Ya

June 29, 2014 at 11:39AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dheep'

Whoops ... Never

June 29, 2014 at 11:40AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dheep'

They need one for Orson Welles' Batman. That one almost existed.

August 10, 2014 at 11:51AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM