February 3, 2016

New Sony a6300 APS-C Mirrorless Shoots 4K Internally & Externally for Just $1K

Sony a6300 Front No Lens
Sony's newest E-mount mirrorless, the a6300, packs a punch in a small package for just $1,000.

The a6300 continues Sony's march to ever cheaper cameras with better and better features. This 24 Megapixel APS-C cam has 4K UHD up to 30fps, 1080p to 120fps, S-Log2/S-Log3, and even has uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2 4K out of the HDMI for recording to something like the Odyssey 7Q+ or Atomos Shogun/Ninja Assassin. Though it technically uses a 6000 x 3376 recording area for the 4K videos, Sony says they aren't pixel binning, which means that the 6000 x 3376 is being scaled down to 4K, something that should actually help a bit with noise.

Here's a look at footage in 4K:

In addition, Sony claims 14 stops of dynamic range in S-Log3, and has a Gamma Display Assist mode to let you see a Rec.709 image while still recording log. The only thing that seems to be missing is a headphone port, but this camera looks to have pretty much all the specs on paper that you'd want in an E-Mount APS-C camera.

Sony a6300 Rear LCD Out

Here are the specs:

• 24.2MP APS-C Exmor CMOS Sensor with Max Res of  6000 x 4000
  • BIONZ X Image Processor
  • XGA Tru-Finder 2.36m-Dot OLED EVF
  • 3.0" 921.6k-Dot Tilting LCD Monitor
  • XAVC S: 3840 x 2160p / 30 fps (100 Mbps) / 30 fps (60 Mbps) / 25 fps (100 Mbps)
    / 25 fps (60 Mbps) / 24 fps (100 Mbps) / 24 fps (60 Mbps)
  • XAVC S: 1920 x 1080p / 120 fps (100 Mbps) / 120 fps (60 Mbps) / 100 fps (100 Mbps)
    / 100 fps (100 Mbps) / 60 fps (50 Mbps) / 50 fps (50 Mbps)
    / 30 fps (50 Mbps) / 25 fps (50 Mbps) / 24 fps (50 Mbps)
  • AVCHD: 1920 x 1080p / 60 fps (28 Mbps) / 50 fps (28 Mbps) / 25 fps (24 Mbps)
    / 25 fps (17 Mbps) / 24 fps (24 Mbps) / 24 fps (17 Mbps)
  • AVCHD: 1920 x 1080i / 60 fps (24 Mbps) / 60 fps (17 Mbps) / 50 fps (24 Mbps)
    / 50 fps (17 Mbps)
  • MP4: 1920 x 1080p / 60 fps (28 Mbps) / 50 fps (28 Mbps) / 30 fps (16 Mbps)
    / 25 fps (16 Mbps)
  • MP4: 1280 x 720p / 30 fps (6 Mbps) / 25 fps (6 Mbps)
  • S-Log3 Gamma and Display Assist Function
  • Built-In Wi-Fi with NFC
  • 4D FOCUS with 425 Phase-Detect Points
  • ISO 100-25600 (Extended Mode: 100-51200)
  • Up to 11 fps Shooting
  • Clip Length Max: 30 minutes
  • Built-in Mic: With Video, Stereo
  • Optional External Mic: With Video, Stereo
  • Weather-Sealed Magnesium Alloy Body
  • Availability: March 2016
  • Price: $1,000

Here's a look at the slow motion:

Apparently it also has impressive autofocus technology, for both photos and videos:

New G Master Lenses

Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

Sony also announced a new line of lenses they are calling G Master, or GM, which are said to combine high resolution and pleasing bokeh:

The first three lenses included in this series are the E-mount 85mm f/1.4 GM24-70mm f/2.8 GM, and 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS. There's no price on the 70-200mm (pictured above), but the 24-70mm will retail for $2,200:

Sony 24-70mm f/2.8 GM

And the 85mm will be $1,800:

Sony 85mm f/1.4 GM

Sony has introduced teleconverters as well for E-mount, a new 1.4x and a new 2.0x.

Sony E Mount 2.0x Teleconverter

You can find links to all of these new products below.

Anyone wanna buy my A7s Mk 1 on the cheap? ;)

February 3, 2016 at 1:39PM, Edited February 3, 1:39PM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

Possibly! How much??

February 3, 2016 at 4:30PM

HDMI out doesn't work, so I was thinking $700.

February 3, 2016 at 6:00PM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

Would throw in a metabones MK 3 adapter, batteries, etc. May as well give you all my rigging stuff, too. Ha. Hdmi could be fixed, probably a few hundred to do so.

February 3, 2016 at 6:01PM, Edited February 3, 6:03PM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

Where do you live, how'dyou wanna do this?

February 3, 2016 at 6:52PM

I live in Northern California, am happy to ship. If anyone's genuinely interested in my gear follow up here: stevenbaileyfilms@gmail.com I've got other stuff I'd like to sell also.

February 3, 2016 at 7:14PM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

is the A7S still for sale? I'm very interested in it

February 3, 2016 at 8:54PM

Nick Gregoris
DP, Colorist

That's a great deal! I'd buy it, if I didn't already have one. I'd gladly replace my GH4 with one of these though, if someone wanted to take it off my hands. Hard to keep up with how fast the gear is being developed and improved these days. What part of Northern CA you from? I'm in Sonoma County. Followed you on Vimeo. Loved your short Screen. Cheers.

February 3, 2016 at 8:03PM

Sean Pettis
Filmmaker

So far no one's followed up through e-mail. First come first serve!

Sean, I live in Napa! Heck, I'm driving through Sonoma county to Santa Rosa this evening to visit my girlfriend. Crazy. Thanks for the kind words!

February 3, 2016 at 9:09PM, Edited February 3, 9:10PM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

I spend a lot of time in Napa, mainly for the weddings. Keep me in mind if you ever need a second shooter!

February 4, 2016 at 3:31PM

Sean Pettis
Filmmaker

Camera sold, incidentally.

February 4, 2016 at 4:45PM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

Email sent

February 3, 2016 at 10:59PM

With the sole exception of lacking 60p at 4K....this camera has much better video specs than the Canon 1Dx mark II.

Well played Sony, well played...

February 3, 2016 at 1:45PM

seanmclennan
Story Teller

Better specs only on paper, but the jury is definitely out on performance and reliability, but they are for different markets anyway.

February 3, 2016 at 5:46PM

Saied M.

A dream for jello fans

February 3, 2016 at 11:21PM

Daniel Reed
Hat Collector

Canon ... why did you not made a 7D MarkII with this specs ...
This will be my birthday Present to myself

February 3, 2016 at 2:00PM, Edited February 3, 2:00PM

Lorenz Schuster
One-Man-Band

I love the colors that come off Canon but I got tired of holding my breath.

February 3, 2016 at 2:12PM

Derek Armitage
Vlogger

After a year and a half of shooting Sony, I'm back to thinking color and image are significantly more important than specs. I'm going back to Canon. I think I'll pick one or two of these up for smaller work, though. So cool all of this can be packed into such an affordable little unit.

February 3, 2016 at 4:06PM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

I've never been able to convince myself to invest in Sony or Panasonic (at this price range anyways) because I just don't like the look no matter how many nice features they have that I wish Canon had.

February 3, 2016 at 4:18PM

Sean Sims
Wannabe DOP

Speaking of color, and image.....

It's just a shame that Nikon never got into the video market big time. I LOVE their rich color. When I saw the rumor that Nikon bought Samsung's NX1 technology I had a sudden flash of hope. But it turned to be just a rumor. :-(

February 3, 2016 at 9:03PM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

In a documentary shot 2012-2015 I am working on, there is all sorts of footage: Nikon, Canon, Sony various cameras. One thing stands out though, that's the Canon C100 colour.

I made a decision to continue with only Canon. The specs of other Cameras (Sony ) look far better, but there colour technology is inferior to Canons Clog.

February 4, 2016 at 3:13AM

Richard, I had that same realization when I cut a reel of mine together recently. Putting all my A7s footage up against my old C100 footage made me realize how much I missed the strength of the Canon image.

February 4, 2016 at 9:53AM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

I have a C100 but would love a small backup camera. These comments actually kind of hold me back from making a decision.
But.
I use Filmconvert, which should technically give you very comparable colours between different camera brands.
In your experience, you haven't been able to match the two camera's? The A7s and the C100? or are you just not satisfied with results you get out of the A7s?

February 4, 2016 at 11:42AM

Gilles van Leeuwen
Filmmaker

I can match with care, which is fine. But it's just an overall lack of satisfaction with the results after using the A7s as my A camera for so long.

Don't get me wrong, I've really enjoyed my A7s. It's paid for itself ten times over. I'm probably going to pick up the A6300 (or 2) as my backup/little project cameras. But I'm going back to the C series for heavy lifting.

February 4, 2016 at 12:09PM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

HI. I use the Canon c100mk2 and the Sony a7S together on a near constant basis. What I found is that as long as you match the color temperature of each camera, you will get remarkably complementary results.

March 4, 2016 at 7:02PM

Great Specs for the price I think.
Another all around camera.

February 3, 2016 at 2:04PM, Edited February 3, 2:04PM

Keith Kim
Photographer

It's fascinating how Sony have no respect for thier products lines and users.
If you're like me and you are always waiting for the newest release to buy a product, now you can expect a new product with better specs and price every 6 months. Which makes you regret in some ways.

I'm sure anyone that owns an A7S MK1, MK2 are pretty pissed about this release.
Yep, it's only APS-C and specs wise, no IBIS, no 100000 iso but it has the same specs as an A7S MK2 for it's 1/3 of the price.

At least that's on paper for now, I can't hardly wait to try one.

February 3, 2016 at 2:10PM, Edited February 3, 2:22PM

Danny T
Photographer

You aren't wrong sir.

February 3, 2016 at 2:32PM

Michael Muench
DP, Editor

"If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will." Steve Jobs

As annoying as it is to have your camera devalued in a blink, it's simply the nature of technology. At least you're not losing $20k worth of value like the higher end Red owners are all too familiar with.

February 3, 2016 at 3:13PM

Derek Doublin
Director, Cinematographer, Large Scale Artist

Buy the camera you need, not the one you want. The one you need will remain productive for a lot longer than your changing desires for the latest/greatest.

Invest in glass.

February 3, 2016 at 3:24PM, Edited February 3, 3:24PM

seanmclennan
Story Teller

^ This a million times over.

February 3, 2016 at 4:07PM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

Invest in glass and a good good tripod

February 4, 2016 at 1:23AM

Chema Mumford
Filmmaker, Documentary, Cinematographer

Well said. Most people regret their purchase because they buy a better camera than they need and fail to make the money back.

February 4, 2016 at 12:13PM

Jan Becker
DP, Director, Producer

That's a nice quote. Sad but true.

February 3, 2016 at 4:15PM

Danny T
Photographer

I agree with some of your thoughts but I don't think ISO performance won't even come close to A7s series. I might be wrong. I still have the a7smk1 and it's still the smallest FF camera in the market.

This camera is tempting though, it's like a mini FS5 no?

February 3, 2016 at 4:19PM, Edited February 3, 4:19PM

Keith Kim
Photographer

It looks to me just like a mini FS5 yes!

February 3, 2016 at 9:11PM

Danny T
Photographer

The fault of always wanting new tech lies in the psychology of the buyer, not the manufacturer (even though they play on it).

February 3, 2016 at 4:29PM, Edited February 3, 4:29PM

Jonathon Sendall
Stories

You are an idiot.

February 3, 2016 at 4:36PM

Walter Wallace
Spokesperson/Entrepreneur

You are an idiot... you dont know anything about the camera. All you have is specs... how does it do in low light??!

February 3, 2016 at 4:38PM

Walter Wallace
Spokesperson/Entrepreneur

Woooow! You sir should learn what is respect. No need for insults here. Now to answer your question, with pixel binning, it should probably be clean enough at 6400/12800 iso which is way over most people needs.

February 3, 2016 at 9:17PM

Danny T
Photographer

I bet the rolling shutter is horrid.
Notice how the shots were all on sticks or a jib/dolly?

February 3, 2016 at 11:24PM, Edited February 3, 11:27PM

Daniel Reed
Hat Collector

There's some rolling shutter at the 1:10 mark on the first video.

February 4, 2016 at 10:24AM

Jeremy Pommier
Writer/Director/Editor/Photographer

Looking forward to testing this camera out, especially if I can get my hands on one of these, "Commlite Nikon F to Sony E NEX Camera AF Autofocus Electronic Lens Adapter." I have Nikon glass because my wife shoots photos with a Nikon but the video capabilities in this price range are horrible.

February 3, 2016 at 2:11PM, Edited February 3, 2:11PM

Derek Armitage
Vlogger

Literally just bought a sony lens, than I get this release. Dang it. This camera is super enticing, especially considering I'm on an a7s with no 4k. Hopefully external recorders can go down in price soon. So many freaking camera releases.

February 3, 2016 at 2:31PM, Edited February 3, 2:31PM

Michael Muench
DP, Editor

Sample videos are usually nothing great to go off of but that video was particularly bad. Doesn't show off the supposed 14 stops dynamic range in the least, everything looks way to contrasty.

Can't wait to see what this thing can do when good reviewers get their hands on it.

February 3, 2016 at 2:35PM

Alex Everingham
Video Editor

Thinking of getting one of these to compliment the a7sii.

February 3, 2016 at 3:29PM, Edited February 3, 3:29PM

Sean Conley
Cinematographer

Sexy, been looking to get an A6000. March seems the time now.

February 3, 2016 at 3:40PM

Chris Hackett
Director, Director of Photography, Writer

amazing specs for the dollar

anyone know if there a headphone port on the MIC attachment that is pictured in the beginning of the second video?

February 3, 2016 at 3:41PM, Edited February 3, 3:41PM

Andrew Kierans
Digital Cinema Technician

No headphone port I believe unfortunately.

February 3, 2016 at 4:08PM

Alex Everingham
Video Editor

Perfect drone camera, not to expensive, can just about live with the codec (on certain productions), light and small.

February 3, 2016 at 4:15PM, Edited February 3, 4:15PM

Jonathon Sendall
Stories

Great camera but it's really strange that you can attach the audio module XLR-K2M, via hot-shoe and still there is no headphones jack slot. Where will you hear the sound coming in from? Maybe somebody will do an HDMI to mini jack adapter. too bad everything was so perfect.

February 3, 2016 at 4:44PM, Edited February 3, 4:44PM

I was looking for an adapter for my A6000, I found a couple on amazon and ebay. Didn't buy since I figured out that I can monitor audio from mini jack output on my external hdmi monitor. But since it's more a b-camera sound rarely would records in it.

February 3, 2016 at 6:03PM

Yura Makarov
Cinematographer

"Max Resolution 24 MP: 6000 x 4000"

6K commonly available in video is not far off. It's speculated the Panasonic Varicam being introduced next Thursday, February 11, is going to be a 6K camera.

February 3, 2016 at 5:48PM, Edited February 3, 6:01PM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

...and everyone will still watch in 1080p on a tablet or phone.

February 3, 2016 at 6:14PM

Pat Heine
Camera Op/Grip/Adventurer

Rumors is that Panasonic gonna skip all the way 6K and jump into 8K directly

February 12, 2016 at 11:33AM

Next month: a6300 mk II...

February 3, 2016 at 6:07PM

K W

lol

February 3, 2016 at 7:38PM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

It took forever for the A6000 to get updated. I don't think this camera gets as many updates as the a7 series.

February 4, 2016 at 2:34PM

Isn't this the same sensor as the A6000? What would be the chances that you could shoot 4K on the A6000 with a firmware upgrade? Unlikely to happen now, but would be awesome.

February 3, 2016 at 6:39PM

David Prokopchuk
Photographer / Film Maker

New wiring system on this new sensor, so likely not

February 12, 2016 at 11:47AM

want. need.

February 3, 2016 at 7:03PM, Edited February 3, 7:03PM

I'm saving my money for 10k.

I'm just not sure audiences will appreciate my story as much until I've spent all my money on hardware.

February 3, 2016 at 7:58PM, Edited February 3, 7:58PM

Doug

I own the GH4 and I have no interest in picking this up. The $1k+ could budget my next short, a bunch of nice workshops & many many books where I can learn how to tell a story better, with any camera.

As much as I love the specs, I love story much much more.

February 3, 2016 at 8:48PM, Edited February 3, 8:48PM

Ciprian Dumitrascu
Director / DP / Editor

that autofocus look good, will be interesting to see how it really performs..

the a6000 had a lot of issues with overheating, and had a 15 min record limit. Hope that is fixed up in the a6300

in any case, I prefer my GH4 because it's got more buttons where I need them! Navigating around the a6000 took forever!

February 3, 2016 at 11:17PM, Edited February 3, 11:17PM

Brenton Potts
1 man band

The colour science of sony hasn´t changed in 30 years, everything looks from the 90´s.. Zero cinematic, You need luts or that sort of thing to push it, and then the codec is weak as hell.. I don´t like sony at this price range.. Even the FS5 has very weak codec and shows all the shit of the sensor.. But they offer amazing specs, that´s true..

February 4, 2016 at 1:32AM, Edited February 4, 1:32AM

Chema Mumford
Filmmaker, Documentary, Cinematographer

To sweeten the deal, Sony tosses in FREE JELLO!

What an amazing game changer!

February 4, 2016 at 5:35AM

Daniel Reed
Hat Collector

@daniel Dude why are you hating or care so much

February 4, 2016 at 11:31AM, Edited February 4, 11:31AM

It means this camera capable to record 6k in the future?

February 4, 2016 at 6:30AM

You mean in the next generation of this camera? I would put my money on yes to that. I think the reason 6000 X 4000 is clear in the specs is because it's a hint that that is what is coming.

Red has 8K now. It's still a race to get to the highest K out there. Everyone followed Red to 4K. Now they will follow to 8K. I don't think camera makers feel they have a choice but to do it---regardless of all the internet comment flak to the contrary.

It's not long until we see 8000 X 5000 in the specs of cameras.

February 4, 2016 at 10:07AM, Edited February 4, 10:12AM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

There’s been 8K camera in Japan from many year back, they even shoot and/or transmit 8K content in Japan.

February 12, 2016 at 11:52AM

Sony is really trying to get this revenue.

February 4, 2016 at 9:09AM

SH Media Pro guy
Letherman operator

well glad i din't buy an a7rii and a7sii, but NAB is coming around the corner who knows what will be announced next

February 4, 2016 at 11:33AM

You will still never get to the point that a camera has it all... cause they will not, but also tech change everyday so you can keep holding yourself to buy a new gadget with the last tech which will never happens. Before a gadget is release, the company already has a new one already on the test, which mean that the latest gadget is already outdated.

February 12, 2016 at 11:59AM

Sony kick as$

February 4, 2016 at 1:11PM, Edited February 4, 1:11PM

Edgar More
All

does it have clear image zoom? love that feature on my a7sii

February 4, 2016 at 1:55PM, Edited February 4, 1:55PM

So we have Sony putting awesome video specs into crappy camera designs and Canon putting crappy video specs into great camera designs. Can we get them together already?

February 4, 2016 at 2:40PM, Edited February 4, 2:40PM

Cute but unless it has similar low light capabilities to the A7S, I don't see why folks should be upset about their previous 4k purchasing choices. The a6300's demo video didn't show anything about ISO 1600. I mean it seems fine as a handy little 4K shooter, but there seems to be other options like this available. I fail to see the big deal.

February 4, 2016 at 4:55PM

Heath Blair
Film maker and composer

Yeah, no doubt. Full frame and low light are not being taken over here.

February 5, 2016 at 2:22PM

David Prokopchuk
Photographer / Film Maker

I would like to see some low light tests.

February 4, 2016 at 5:03PM

I think that without internal stabilization it doesn't get my purchase. It is almost there but not quite for me. I would have gladly traded off the 4k for I.S.

February 5, 2016 at 3:19PM, Edited February 5, 3:20PM

"all the specs on paper that you'd want in an E-Mount APS-C camera."

Oh, except: You wouldn't want an E-mount.

And WTF, why can you record 100 Mbps for UHD, but in HD you only get 1/4 that? This is IDIOTIC. Dear camera manufacturers: STOP REDUCING BITRATE with any other rate. Bitrate and resolution and frame rate should be INDEPENDENT.

Morons.

February 6, 2016 at 6:11AM

David Gurney
DP

Does it charge while recording? For me, that was the biggest limitation of the previous generation of Sony's.

February 13, 2016 at 6:57AM, Edited February 13, 6:57AM

Jesse Yules
Director

Would anyone be kind enough recommend a camera for approximately £1000 that would be good for shooting films and music videos? (I'm new to film making) but want a good camera that I can learn with and that will last me. I was all set to buy a gh4 with speed booster etc but then I saw the Sony a6300 but I understand the codec is weak... Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

February 16, 2016 at 6:13AM

I own the GH4 and the BMPCC, am tempted with this Sony A6300 paired with one of their new lenses but it seems that an external recorder will be needed to improve the codec and make it shine. The 10 bit, ProRes HQ on the $1000 Blackmagic pocket has spoiled me - has a certain organic, filmic look without even trying, of course requiring proper LUTs etc. yet I use the GH4 more often for it's convenience especially for nature/landscapes where 4K detail is desired. I'd be interested in comparisons/opinions between of the Canon color space vs nicely graded Blackmagic film and in particular with regards to skin tones and is that where Sony falls short?

February 17, 2016 at 7:48AM, Edited February 17, 7:55AM

Something that I do a lot while shooting UHD is use touch-to-focus to select focus between two (or sometimes more) faces. This can require split-second decisions when the scene is a conversation (vs a scripted interview which I don't do as often).

Samsung NX1 does this well. Panasonic DVX200 does this well. Old Canon 70D does this well but is soft HD at best. Canon C300 mkII - NO TOUCH SCREEN.

Sony FS7 - NO TOUCH SCREEN. Sony A6300 - NO TOUCH SCREEN. Sony A7R mkii - NO TOUCH SCREEN. No thanks.

For people who claim to prefer buttons please remember cameras with touch screens aren't lacking buttons. They just offer additional interface for those who prefer touch screens.

If the Sony cameras had touch screens I think I would sell everything else and buy-in. The quick focusing G Master lenses are particularly interesting with their higher resolving capability making them somewhat future proof.

I really hope Sony finally breaks down and pays to license the touch screen tech that they evidently don't own. Really hard to believe at this point in time Sony doesn't have touch screens. How many devices are there out in the world with touch screens? Billions??

March 4, 2016 at 9:57PM