June 22, 2016

This Infographic Reveals the Truth About Millennial Moviegoing

We have some bad news for art-house and indie filmmakers hoping to get young people into the theater.

Despite mounting concerns that movie theaters are losing millennial audiences to streaming services, a new study from the theatrical analytics company Movio found that young people under 25 go to the theater 8.5% more frequently than those over the age of 30. That accounts for 29% of yearly box office spending—not insignificant by any means.

Of course, not all so-called millennials are cut from the same cloth. Moviegoers under 25 are twice as likely to see a horror film as those over 30. This under-25 audience is also 25% more likely to see a young adult comedy and 13% less likely to see an animated film.

Unfortunately for the indie and art-house creators among us, the younger millennials are 45% less inclined to see a drama and 52% less interested in an indie film.

Below, check out Movio's infographic of its findings.

Credit: Movio

Top photo credit:  / Shutterstock

Is it really fair to say "choose 3D over 2D" when most of the time the showings are 3D, except for that one showing at a really crappy time.

And sometimes when you do schedule your day around the 2D showing, you show up and it's in 3D anyway?

June 22, 2016 at 12:48PM

kyleclements
Artist / Photographer

I'm 37, while technically not a millennial but that lost generation no one ever talks about, I love 3D movies and choose them over 2D any chance I get. Even at home.

June 22, 2016 at 1:14PM

Mike Tesh
Director of Photography

Except... What real 3-D movies are there? Most of what's being peddled as "3-D" is post-processed, fake-3-D junk.

The studios, as usual, have ruined what could have been a great tool by pissing the public off with a fraud and making them think 3-D sucks.

Here's a handy site for avoiding the studios' frauds:

June 24, 2016 at 7:12PM, Edited June 24, 7:16PM

David Gurney
DP

I'm 32. And I fucking hate 3D movies. Such a cash grab, ruins movies. Can't wait to this stupid fad to go far far away.

June 22, 2016 at 2:03PM

Filmmagician
Writer/Director

33 here. I avoid 3d as well. Just not enjoyable.

June 22, 2016 at 6:04PM

Don Way
Writer/Director of Photography

28 here. I hate 3d in cinemas as it is mostly implemented in a very crappy manner. Not only in films but also in the cinema itself. I avoid it whenever I can, but everytime I want to go to the cinema I cannot choose a non-3d option. So, everytime I go to the cinema, I see 3d. Therefore I go to the cinema less.

June 23, 2016 at 9:12AM

Jeroen Rommelaars
Owner of Cropped Media Videoproductions Amersfoort, The Netherlands

Which 3-D movies have you seen?

You may not have seen any, at least not recently. Take a look and see if you've fallen victim to the studios' frauds:

June 24, 2016 at 7:16PM

David Gurney
DP

If you're an indie filmmaker and you're still stuck making movies for people to watch in a movie theatre, you've already lost anyways. Show me some Netflix stats about millennials.

June 22, 2016 at 12:54PM

Chris Foster
Writer/ Director

Yes! This ^^ well said

June 22, 2016 at 2:03PM

Filmmagician
Writer/Director

Perhaps when you're in the process of making your first film... you shouldn't talk about how those who have made a successful career of it have "lost"? Hopefully on set you show people a little more professional respect.

June 22, 2016 at 6:16PM

Austin Reeves
Cinematographer / DP

Okay. Obviously I'm not talking to the people who have "made a successful career of it" whatever that means. I'll come back and comment when I'm deemed worthy of sharing an opinion.

June 25, 2016 at 10:23PM

Chris Foster
Writer/ Director

Why are Arthouse and Indie films two different genres? Is there an important distinction that would matter when gathering this data?

June 23, 2016 at 3:12PM

Max Walker
Editor

The example that leaped immediately to my mind is horror movies. Lots of them are "indie", but very few are "arthouse". Genre films generally I would not count as "arthouse".

July 13, 2016 at 2:08AM, Edited July 13, 2:11AM

Minor Mogul
Dilettante

It's time to stop using these stupid labels.

"Millennials" is just dumb. What happens for the rest of the century, then? Do we now have the "no-names" for the next 80 years?

June 24, 2016 at 7:19PM

David Gurney
DP

These lables are useful when you're seeking an audience for your movie. Did you shoot in black and white? You're wasting your money advertising to Millennials; they won't watch it. Handy to know!

I don't share the worry of your second paragraph. I'm "Generation X". And I'm sure we'll come up with equally lame lables for newer generations.

February 4, 2017 at 6:47PM, Edited February 4, 6:49PM

Minor Mogul
Dilettante

Quick question: What means "cinema loyalty"? Thanks.

July 13, 2016 at 2:09AM