February 24, 2012

CineSquid Lets You Attach Your DSLR to the Side of a Car or an Airplane

Cinetics, the folks behind the obscenely successful CineSkates, have come out with a new product - the CineSquid.  With three powerful suction cup feet it allows you to quickly attach your camera to any number of unlikely places - the side of a car, the outside of an elevator, or even an airplane.  Check out the demo video after the jump:

Now, with a weight limit of 5 pounds, it’s not likely you’ll be attaching a fully loaded rig.  The use that immediately comes to mind, beyond the cool exteriors, is that of shooting tight interiors.  Whether you’re shooting inside a car or an elevator, being able to attach a camera to the inside of a windshield or a ceiling corner is pretty darn useful (assuming the suction cups can grab onto all three surfaces).

I think what distinguishes it from other suction cup camera mounts on the market is the versatility.  In combination with the Gorillapod Focus tripod you can attach it to uneven surfaces and have more flexibility in adjusting the camera's position and angle than most single-purpose one suction cup setups.

You can get the full rig for $235, but if you already have CineSkates, all you need are the suction cups (which will run you $120).  They've already sold out their current stock, but you can pre-order for April here.

Link: CineSquid

[via Cinescopophilia and planet5d]

I just can't get behind the price of this or the cineskate. About $100 too much. Such a specialized shot... and for a suction-cup rig, I'd rather rent something a bit more trustworthy. Just me though... I did pay $50 for the $50 follow focus : ).

February 24, 2012 at 11:23AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Rev. Benjamin

I agree completely, they produce very very specialized products. This product seems a little more valid than the skates.

February 24, 2012 at 3:16PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Joe

Man I hate the price of DSLR equipment. well i guess its back to DIY for me on the CineSquid

March 1, 2012 at 4:30PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

tery

Hey Benjamin, thanks for the feedback. The CineSquid System includes three powerful suction cups, a GorillaPod Focus, and a BallHead X. The Focus and BallHead X add a bit to the cost, but the bright side is that they work with CineSkates also. We're building a modular system, and the cost per component gets lower as we add new components. Also, the triple redundancy of CineSquid makes it extremely trustworthy :) Thanks for checking it out, and I'm happy to answer any questions!
Thanks for the great write up nofilmschool!!!

February 24, 2012 at 11:36AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

I appreciate your coming out to answer questions in the film-blog community. And at any rate, continue innovating!

February 27, 2012 at 12:24AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Rev. Benjamin

Just read the title of this article again... to clarify: in the video we put a GoPro on the outside of the airplane, and we put a DSLR on cars and boats. I would be concerned that the wind resistance on a DSLR lens would make the shot less stable at high wind speeds. Hmm... a DSLR with an aerodynamic fisheye lens would be interesting :)
Justin @ Cinetics

February 24, 2012 at 1:12PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Yeah... that one might be worth using a lower-end DSLR (T3i) than something that runs 4 figures! Just in case...

February 24, 2012 at 1:29PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Depending on the aircraft, too bulky of a set-up can change the handling characteristics... fatally.

March 4, 2012 at 9:54PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Tom

Have been looking at getting the Cineskates for a while now so the skate+squid pack looks great to me!

February 24, 2012 at 2:20PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Adam S

I've been mounting cameras in strange places since the 1980's. Two years ago I used a 6" sucker to mount a video camera on the side of a file cabinet, due to lack of space in a small room.

Car interiors will become trivial with the 'squid and a Sony NEX 5n. I purchased a 5n for use as a Crash Cam, and couldn't be happier with the results.

February 24, 2012 at 2:29PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

c.d.embrey

Honestly, even as a new customer that considered the CineSkates, at that price-point (for the CineSquid alone) I would agree that a stable INT/EXT vehicle shot could be well worth that price. Provided the option of renting it to friends/fellows, professional sequences for music videos (or other projects), and from a DIY stand point, I personally doubt you could find a better solution with the professional look and design at such a deal. I'm sold.

Thanks NFS.

February 25, 2012 at 5:52AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

McBlakewich

What's really interesting ALL THE PARTS are off-the shelf and nothing to make!

Yet, they got a s-load of money here ($400K) : http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jj1/cineskates-camera-sliders?ref=ca...
You can put the whole thing together yourself for 1/3 of the price or less.
Man, is this business insane and people 'invest' in this kind of stuff with no Mfg involved?
None what so ever!

March 1, 2012 at 3:21PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Tang

I totally agree with this statement for example look at the tommy jib the stand and mount come for your local music store. Both pieces cost no more than $ 49.00 but the people at tommy jib charge you $89.00 for something you can pick up at Sam Ash music or Guitar Center.

March 1, 2012 at 3:55PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Marcus

Hi Tang, thanks for the comment. We actually manufacture several original parts for this product. Take a closer look: http://store.cinetics.com/cinesquid/ The amount of time and effort we have put into perfecting the product is far more than you may expect. I hope you like CineSquid, and I appreciate your feedback!!

March 3, 2012 at 11:25AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

the design might be super nice and the pro look. but personnaly i don't care that much. i just want the job done and from past experience i can tell that if you use an ugly "foldable" bick rack made to be fixed at the back of a car, people will be impressed. not because it looks nice but becuse will see that you are clever.

i wouldn't hold a dslr with such succion cut. i would be to affraid to wreck my gears... and the expensive cinesquid.

March 1, 2012 at 3:40PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

"...Lets You Attach Your DSLR to the Side of a Car or an Airplane"

An airplane? Seriously? I don't think so... (at least not with my DSLR)

March 1, 2012 at 5:32PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Heiko

I agree with you... Quite proud of (greedy for) this product. Novelty-use, at best! Drop the price to a fair amount, and I'll buy two! What IF it slips off of my airplane, are they going to accept ANY of the responsibility when the lawyers are knocking at my door? This is a serious question. They might want to reconsider THAT claim. Just trying to help.

From reading the previous posts, it appears they don't have much confidence on the outside of THEIR world. They should put themselves in the consumer's shoes for just a moment; would THEY pay THAT much for THIS & 'believe' the claim and trust THEIR equipment to this apparatus?

Regards...