July 31, 2013

You Could Have Faster, Wider, & Sharper Canon Lenses By August with New Micro 4/3 Speed Booster

This is good news for all of you who've got Panasonic cameras like the GH2 and GH3, or you've been looking at the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. If you haven't heard of the Metabones Speed Booster, well it's darn near close to magic with its capabilities, but its principles have been used in lens design for quite some time. This adapter makes lenses faster, wider, and sharper by using lenses made for a larger sensor (like full-frame or APS-C) and shrinking down their output (which is similar to bringing a projector closer to a wall). Check out a review of the original for Sony cameras:

Here is the news from 4/3 Rumors:

Dicahub reports that the EF-M43 Speed Booster will be released in August. EF-M43 will have electronic contacts. This is good news because MFT will get access to the largest lens range of the world. Now Canon gear owners can use their Full Frame lenses on MFT cameras gaining 1 stop of speed!

Check out the lens coverage to understand exactly what's going on:

metabones Speed-Booster-FX-DX

While there are already Speed Boosters for almost every major lens out there for both NEX and MFT, including Nikon, it was unclear if Metabones was going to be able to work out the electronics for Canon lenses to MFT anytime soon. The big breakthrough for this particular development is that the Canon lenses should now be able to be controlled by the camera with the MFT mount. We'll have to wait and see if this turns out to be true, but if you've been disappointed by the lack of Canon lens support with MFT cameras, you might have a fantastic solution very soon.

Link: Metabones Speed Booster

[via 4/3 Rumors & Dicahub]

Does that include IS?

July 31, 2013 at 2:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Chris Lambert

Took it from my mouth. How about IS?

July 31, 2013 at 2:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Rodrigo Molinsky

If they've worked out the electronics, it could mean Autofocus and Image Stabilization for a bunch of lenses.

July 31, 2013 at 2:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

What happens when you put this on a 10mm wideangle?

July 31, 2013 at 2:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Cal

You get around a 7mm lens that translates into a 14mm lens in full frame FOV terms in your Micro Four Thirds camera of choice.
The math changes if you'll be using that lens on a BMCC or a BMPCC, though.

July 31, 2013 at 2:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

depending on the lens maybe a bit of a weird fisheye effect as well

July 31, 2013 at 3:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Chris Lambert

Just as I was getting over wanting a GH3...

July 31, 2013 at 2:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

should make the MFT Pocket Cam crop factor down to a much more manageable x1.7 as to FF

July 31, 2013 at 2:46PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

So as it is for M43, it could also work with non FF lense, right? Meaning stuff like the Tokina 11-16 or the EF-S 10-22mm...? Which would be great for the BMPCC...!

July 31, 2013 at 2:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Lukas

I was wondering that too, I was hearing in other forums that the Tokina would vignette at the wider focal lengths but 15-16 would be fine. That was on a gh2 though and the BMPCC has more of a crop so maybe it would be fine...?

July 31, 2013 at 2:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Aaron

That Tokina is kinda useable in full frame and designed for APS-C so I don't see why it couldn't be used on a GH2, where it'd perform just like it does on any APS-C camera. On the BMCC or the BMPCC it would be even safer to assume it'll work just fine!

July 31, 2013 at 3:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I dont quite get why it would vignette... I mean it covers APSC, so 1.6. So when adding it to a M43 (like the GH2) it would be arounf 1.7 crop, so should work out...?

July 31, 2013 at 3:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Lukas

I know the thread you're talking about. What they were talking about was using the Tokina on a full-frame camera. In that situation, it is usable at the end of its range, 16mm, but vignettes below that. For m4/3 or the BMPC, that won't be a problem.

July 31, 2013 at 3:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Tim

Metabones had said previously that the MFT-to-EF Speed Booster wouldn't support EF-S mount lenses.
Now, not all lenses with APS-C image circles made for Canon cameras have EF-S mounts, but those that do -- meaning all of Canon's EF-S line -- will not work (or, they might damage the adapter).
Most third-party lenses for Canon cameras, whether designed with image circles for full frame or APS-C, use the regular EF mount, so using them shouldn't be an issue.

July 31, 2013 at 6:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Blah

The tokina 11-16 covers the 5D at 16mm, so It should at least cover that much for the GH3, for the BMCC I would say that it would cover the wide end too.

August 3, 2013 at 4:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Luke

I would absolutely buy this, in part because I was dumb when getting into cameras and have a whole bunch of Canon glass that is not very useful with my new (old) GH2, or the BMCC pocket that I will likely buy. So I truly hope this rumour is true.

July 31, 2013 at 3:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

ew is that fcpx in the background? ew

July 31, 2013 at 3:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe

I think you misspelt awesome :-)

July 31, 2013 at 3:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Baconandeggs

Are you so insecure you have to insult software? If you don't like it don't use it. No need ot post useless and angry comments you turd.

July 31, 2013 at 3:52PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

S

sadly the crop factor on the pocket camera will be more than that, something like 2 or so since its super 16mm and not M4/3 (although the mount is M4/3)

July 31, 2013 at 4:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Kevin

yep im not sure why the reply went here...my bad fellas...lets also keep the turd calling to a minimum. S used up 1 turd call so id say 2 more would be a good cut off point. Ive also used it twice in this post i guess that about does it.

July 31, 2013 at 4:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Kevin

2.09 I think.

July 31, 2013 at 7:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

vinceGortho

Knob

July 31, 2013 at 8:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

John Drake

If you believe it or not, a lot of professional editors pretty much like FCPX now that it's a finished product (that it wasn't when it was released)

I am not yet working with it, but I am going to at least for some projects, and as far as I am told by friends who already use it, it is quite a capable editing program. And a fast one, too!

August 3, 2013 at 9:15PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Heiko

What about EF-S lenses like 17-55/2.8?

July 31, 2013 at 3:20PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

P

I think Canon APS-C lenses won't work, just third party APS-C lenses. I read that has to do with the fact that Canon branded APS-C lenses have some sort of protuberance and different electronics that prevent switching from a full frame camera to a crop sensor camera and vice-versa.
Third party lenses, on the other hand, are just like full frame Canon lenses except they cover a smaller area.

July 31, 2013 at 3:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Good thing I bought the Sigma 17-50 rather than the Canon 17-55. If I can use my Canon lenses on the GH3 and retain quick AF speed, stabilization then I will buy this for sure. How much does this speedbooster cost anyways? Hope its not like $500.

July 31, 2013 at 3:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

S

The EF to NEX adapter costs $599. I believe the EF to MFT will cost the same...

July 31, 2013 at 4:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

not sure what ernesto is talking about. This device is MADE for canon lenses, and the the 17-55 EF-S f2.8 will be a VERY common lens used with this setup.

look at the graphic above, the crop lenses "DX" still cover the entirety of the m43 chip with the speed booster. no vignetting.

from Joe... "This adapter makes lenses faster, wider, and sharper by using lenses made for a larger sensor (like full-frame or APS-C)..."

Key word: APS-C

July 31, 2013 at 4:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

dv

The key terminology you're missing, though, is "EF-S mount".
APS-C glass will only work with this adapter if it uses the standard Canon EF mount. The EF-S mount, which is what's used on the Canon 17-55 f/2.8, extends the lens element closer to the mirror than does the regular EF mount; lenses with an EF-S mount might scratch the glass element of the Speed Booster. Metabones has said this.

The graphic above only shows image circles (and uses Nikon lens terminology) -- it doesn't mention lens mount compatibility.

What all this means is that all Canon-brand lenses that use the EF-S mount, meaning all their APS-C glass, won't work with the adapter. On the other hand, since most third-party lenses use the regular EF mount regardless of imaging format, most of them should be compatible.

The Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 isn't compatible, but, as "S" mentioned, the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 is.

July 31, 2013 at 7:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Blah

Got it. Well I hope metabones is VERY clear about that if that is indeed the case, come launch. its confusing. and bound to be a $600 mistake for some people.

July 31, 2013 at 8:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

dv

If true, this will be perfect for me.

July 31, 2013 at 3:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Xiong

Remember guys, the official word is that ef-s lenses won't be supported (likely because of the flange distance issue). Off brand lenses like the 11-16 won't be a problem, but might just give a little vignetting.
Makes me so glad I bought the Tokina instead of the 10-22...

July 31, 2013 at 3:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Casey

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I want one that works with m42 mount lenses to use on the gh2/gh3/gx7 etc
All this modern canon glass lacks character in my eyes.

July 31, 2013 at 4:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

lukio

July 31, 2013 at 5:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Kenneth Merrill

Would love to have a Canon FD version for the same reason.

July 31, 2013 at 5:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gabe

You can adapt M42 to EF (I've done it on my Blackmagic EF) so this adapter, plus a $10 eBay M42-EF ring, would suit you.

August 1, 2013 at 6:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

With E-M5/E-P5 that means all those canon primes and zooms like 24-70 F2.8 will have IS

Tolkina 11-18mm F2.8 will be more interesting now with speed booster, UW with IS and now F2 with speedbooster since the native M43 lens only have F4 and no IS.

July 31, 2013 at 7:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Nelson

Oops there is no IS for tolkina and it is 11-16mm

July 31, 2013 at 7:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Nelson

i'd be most interested to find out what the autofocus performance is like in video. that and IS would be the holy grail

July 31, 2013 at 8:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Anyone know if the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 will work? It should, since it's not ef-s mount?

August 2, 2013 at 2:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Criles

I am very interested in this as well. Can I use the BMCC M4/3 camera with the speed booster and the Sigma 18-35?

Will there be vignetting because the lens is APS-C sized? Or will it still cover the BMCC sensor?

August 3, 2013 at 2:11AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Taylor C

If has 'electronic contacts' i.e. its powered by the body like the ef to nex then it won't work with the bmcc being that its passive, though i wish it did !

August 11, 2013 at 6:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

David M

Thanks for the vid,
I ended up getting one and it is awesome.
BTW, where did you find the Daft Punk Lego men?

October 26, 2013 at 10:17AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Blanche

So do you still need the other lens mount adapter in addition to this or is it already built in? I'm not familiar with the speedbooster.

November 9, 2013 at 12:17AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

JP

AUGUST??? MY ARSE!!! Load of lies. Better to buy the cheaper chinese version!

January 26, 2014 at 6:50AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Hendrick

Is now March and still no word for this? THis would be essential for people wanting to us a GH4 with EF lenses. An update would be nice, at least?

March 20, 2014 at 2:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

same here!

March 20, 2014 at 2:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Anyone know if we are going to get more info on this at NAB? Not being able to use my canon glass on the GH4 is currently the main deal breaker for me.

April 2, 2014 at 5:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Scott

Hey there! What do you people think about stacking an m42-to-EOS adapter over this, should work right?

I understand that the metal of the ring can shorten de circuits of the device but well I'll stick some scotch over the contacts or something... just wonder if I can use my M42 old-and-still-beautiful lenses on a GH4 with this adapter ad I was used to adapt them to my Canon EOS.

June 30, 2014 at 10:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM