July 19, 2014

The Price of the Sony FS100 Has Dropped to Just $2,500

Price cuts seem to be in the air this month. First it was the Canon C300 dropping to $12,000, then it was the 7D hitting a grand, followed by a big cut on the DJI Ronin gimbal, and then a pretty insane 50% reduction for the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. Now we've got another significant cut on Sony's budget large sensor video camera, the FS100, which is currently running body-only for just $2,500.

Here are the two major deals:

Not only do you get the camera, but a promotion with Sony through September 30th allows you to get a Metabones EF to NEX adapter so you can mount and control Canon lenses on the FS100. While this isn't a Speed Booster (or even the newest version of the adapter), free is free, and it's also available if you purchase a new FS700.

This camera might be three years old now, but it's still capable of some great images, and $2,500 finally puts it within range of people who might normally be looking at getting a DSLR or mirrorless camera for video.

Links:

Can someone please let us budding filmmakers sleep :(
GH4 or A7s or FS100.. Add the BMPC or Stick with the same cam and get a Ronin...
Gosh!

July 19, 2014 at 8:21AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Archie

The GH4 is definitely the best bang for your buck. The BMPCC is an over complicated little camera that is just a waste of time and energy. It'll soon be replaced by something (hopefully) better shortly. The FS-100 is great, but still, you can't beat the price point of the GH4 that gives you 4k or 1080 at 96 fps.

I'm personally rolling with some MKIII's a GH4 and I've pre-ordered my Ronin.

But hey, to each their own.

July 19, 2014 at 12:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Josiah

footage from the Pocket looks better. Lazy filmmakers these days. So entitled.

July 19, 2014 at 3:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

VinceGortho

Exactly. God forbid he had to shoot film.

July 19, 2014 at 3:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Agreed! Some digital filmmakers these days, "give me convenience, or give me death!"

July 19, 2014 at 5:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

VinceGortho

The fs100 was an awesome looking camera when it came out but the bmpc for the price point is a great deal. Shoots RAW yeah you might need to rig it up a bit burt any serious filmmaker either has a rig or should get one anyways.

July 19, 2014 at 6:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jacob

I love my pocket. Never felt so good shooting with anyhting.

July 20, 2014 at 12:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Any rig or accessories you recommend? Do you have a battery pack?

July 20, 2014 at 2:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

MovieFan

"waste of time and energy"

god what a lazy ass prosumer comment hahaha panasonic must love you and your money

July 19, 2014 at 3:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

john jeffries

Yeah, and it doesn't even automatically edit your movies in-camera.
I'll just wait until the GH5000 which comes with built in robotic camera operator and virtual director for my super awesome life changing epic sci-fi triology that will be released next millennium

July 25, 2014 at 11:21AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

JuMo

great spent 7k on mine fuck you very much Sony, now I cant even resell it now, arseholes!!!!!

July 19, 2014 at 9:19AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

This is the FS100, not the FS700 which is still over $7,000.

July 19, 2014 at 9:36AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

Makes me wonder what kind of person spends $7k on a FS700 yet doesn't even know the difference between a FS700 & FS100!! Speechless...

July 19, 2014 at 10:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

When the FS100 first came out, it was $6500 so with tax, it would have been a little more than $7k assuming he bought it when it was first released

July 19, 2014 at 12:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

BL

^ This ^

When this camera came out it was pretty damn expensive.

July 19, 2014 at 2:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tom

when the fs100 came out, the camera one better than it, the sony f3 went for 18k.
welcome to the new world. owning gear can be crazy. so just buy what you need, don't buy to make a buck.

July 19, 2014 at 4:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

If he has had it since it was first released, what has he got to complain about?? He should have made back the purchase price many times over in the years since then!

July 19, 2014 at 9:59PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

You still look dumb with your knee-jerk response either way.

July 20, 2014 at 11:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ArchiCine

In Australia it still sells over $6500+ online, $7000 in shops

July 21, 2014 at 10:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Did you or the camera stop working? If you spent $7k, you bought it early and had plenty of time to pay it off through work. Did you really expect it to never drop in value?

July 19, 2014 at 4:46PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Charlie

Ho ho Richard. Far worse things in the world.

July 19, 2014 at 9:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gilles

Yes like cynical sods like you.

July 19, 2014 at 10:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Rodge

Just because a cameras price is lowered doesn't make it any less valuable if you're making money with it.

July 19, 2014 at 10:47AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Anthony Marino

Interesting!

We're in the steepest, fastest moving curve on video camera tech at the moment. RED shook up the high end. Black Magic shook up the low end. The GH4 makes everything else look hopelessly out of date in the dSLR sector except for speciality cameras like the A7s.

HD cameras are going to be extinct in 12 months.

You just can't beat 4K acquisition for 1080p delivery.

July 19, 2014 at 11:19AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Hywel Phillips

Please stop with this gh4 nonsense. It looks sharp yes but the image is far from filmic. Its a small sensor and crappy codec/bit rate. Do you think the GH4 looks better than an Alexa? No. But the Alexa isn't 4k. Resolution has little to do with color depth and overall image quality. The gh4 is fine for your wedding videos and backyard "test shots" but from a filmmaking standpoint you'd be better off with this fs100, black magic, or 5d raw.

July 19, 2014 at 5:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

stephen

Stephen you make a great point. The Gh4 is not as big a deal as everyone is making it to be. Codec means a lot on a camera in my humble opinion and the gh4 has a pretty inflexible codec.

July 19, 2014 at 6:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jacob

The GH4 certainly isn't an Alexa but the codec is more flexible than the AVCHD in an FS100.

July 20, 2014 at 1:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ryan

Really? You're comparing a GH4 to and Alexa? Apples and oranges bro. And any of the new generation of cameras can look filmic if you know what you're doing. Codec is far from the worst either. Sorry I just disagree with you on every aspect here. Check out Andrew's stuff on EOSHD. I've used one myself and was very impressed by it. Yeah it isn't an Alexa, but how many cameras under 2grand are?

July 19, 2014 at 9:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Migs

@Migs.
Then, you are easily impressed.

July 20, 2014 at 9:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I remember when the GH2 (not a typo, yes the GH2) beat an Alexa in a camera test:
Goes to show its more about the operator/DP than the camera

July 23, 2014 at 3:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kurt

Just look at the many short films and feature films made with a GH1, GH2, and GH3. I'm sure GH4 will be more than "filmic" enough!

July 19, 2014 at 10:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

What features have used a GH3, you make is sound like plenty but my guess its almost none, link?

July 20, 2014 at 2:41AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

M

@David Peterson.
Name one feature.

July 20, 2014 at 9:22AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Check out Upstream Color. Plot flew over my head the first time, but it's a beautiful film.

July 20, 2014 at 1:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Benjamin

yeah, that's the only GH_ feature I know of

July 20, 2014 at 5:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

alex

Price reductions are good. The door to entry is opened a little wider allowing more filmmakers to squeeze through. We should celebrate inclusion. For those of us chasing new camera dreams it also means new technology is coming down the pipe. So everybody wins right?

The first priority is to keep making compelling images and telling stories that matter...a good filmmaker makes that happen not a camera.

July 19, 2014 at 11:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I wonder if this is all going in the right direction. There can´t be too many people really needing a professional video camera. The BMPCC is cheaper now than any DSLR (yes you need some accessories, but still) that could be used for filmmaking.
There always was the aged model that went on sale.
But this now looks, as if the ware houses are so full, that they don´t know if they can sell off stock fast enough, until they need the space for the new models.
This means the companies will loose more money as they expected from discounting.
And this will lead to - I don`t know.
But nothing good, I fear.

July 19, 2014 at 11:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

BearWithMe

What accessories do you need or recommend?
I keep reading about the annoying battery-change issue. Any solutions to this problem?

July 20, 2014 at 2:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

MovieFan

Just when you THINK you've seen the the best deal possible, another comes and knocks the socks off it. I have to make a choice soon. Sitting around waiting on "The MEGA DEAL" isn't helping at all. I have to pick one and live with it without hindsight.......

July 19, 2014 at 11:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Terry_Mickie

Sony and Convergent Design are also running a FS-700 + Q7 + licenses + accessories special ($14K and you get 4K Raw recording and, presumably, ProRes whenever that becomes available on Q7). Canon is offering C100 with a 24-105 F4 lens ($1,150 retail) and Edius editing suit for $6K. There are also a bunch of gray market D800's and 5D MK III's out there that are about a grand off their respective MSRP's. Plus, there are a bunch of consumer/prosumer cameras from all manufacturers that are offering discounts, closeouts and/or combo deals.

July 19, 2014 at 1:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

Yeah GH4 is the deal. Amazing quality for the price tag. Hard to be tempted on a FS100 deal...

July 19, 2014 at 2:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

alex mand

Still wouldn't get one over a C100, though. I would consider it over a Mk III just for video, though, definitely.

July 19, 2014 at 2:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Swissted

The lack of a built in ND has always been a serious setback for this camera.

July 19, 2014 at 2:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

moebius22

Really? So every camera without ND must suck.... Interesting.

July 19, 2014 at 3:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tom

Depends on the job you're doing frankly and whether you want to fiddle with grad NDs. I do a lot of outdoor event work, so I don't.

July 19, 2014 at 4:40PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

moebius22

I meant to say variable ND, instead of grad.

July 19, 2014 at 4:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

moebius22

Not such a big deal, there are adapters for Sony E mount which have built in ND filters.

July 19, 2014 at 10:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Thought this might be of interest to you and your network.

We're sort of like PeaceCorps for filmmakers. We send filmmakers/educators overseas to teach filmmaking to underserved kids in Honduras, Cambodia, Nepal, Kenya, and more!

Good luck with your project!

- The FWB Team

July 19, 2014 at 2:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Oh no, affordable high quality cameras, what am I going to blame my lack of motivation on now!

July 19, 2014 at 3:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

William

July 19, 2014 at 4:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

terry_mickie

With camera prices dropping like crazy, and tech moving at the fastest pace ever, I'm seriously considering not buying another camera. It's just too risky of an investment knowing how quickly it will be left in the dust.

Renting on an as-needed basis is starting to look much more attractive, as I can always be sure I'm using the right gear for the job and I don't have to worry about recouping my investment on a camera.

I feel like my money would be far better spent on things like lighting and support gear that I know will stay relevant as camera tech continues to evolve.

July 19, 2014 at 4:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Agree. Rentals make a lot of sense and if someone wants to purchase then lightning is the best bet.

July 19, 2014 at 4:59PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene Wolfe

Yup. And lenses. Though, with lenses, you buy into a system.

The real trick is having paying clients. They'll be happy with your gear recommendations, maybe not even ask about gear.

And, of course, you need to treat your gear as rental gear. Multiply paid shooting days per year by what your clients expect to pay for camera package rental. There's a camera package budget for the year. Type of client and number of shooting days determine what you can spend.

July 19, 2014 at 5:20PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Charlie

You should be able to purchase a camera like a GH4 or anything really, and pay it off in like 1-2 gigs. If not, assess your day-rate. I don't base my day-rate off of the cost of my gear, I base it on the quality of my cinematography. If you are half way decent, you should have $1000-1500 day-rates.

July 19, 2014 at 7:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tom

halfway decent = $1000-$1500/day? so you're saying if you work less than half the year, 180 days, you're taking in $180k-$270k per year? man, I gotta go back to freelancing.

July 20, 2014 at 12:19AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

John Morse

What market are you in? Because that's going to play a huge factor in your potential day rate. I really wish I could get away with $1500/day in the midwest, but it's just not the case.

July 20, 2014 at 12:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I think I just admitted that I'm not halfway decent. Ha!

July 20, 2014 at 12:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

According to Tom, you're not.

July 21, 2014 at 12:40AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

The GH4 has been blown totally out of proportion. On it's own with default settings it won't produce the 'cinematic' images people here are obsessed with.

But it's still without a doubt the best deal currently available and most likely represents the best entryway into cinematography for students or hobbyists.

Having said that, in the hands of a professional, the GH4 can output brilliant images. Add a cage, speedbooster and atomos recorder and you've got a very nice piece of equipment.

July 19, 2014 at 8:40PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ON

+ Decent primes of course.

July 19, 2014 at 8:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ON

+Camera support, stabilizer, matte box, filters, follow focus, grip and electric and package, sound recordist, location, production design, set dressing, props, special effects, costume, hair, make-up, performers, transport, crew, decent script, director, editor, visual effects, colorist, sound editor, publicist, and that's it. You got one nice-looking movie because of the GH4.

July 20, 2014 at 12:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

James

Hehehe +10

July 20, 2014 at 12:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

nice one very real observation ..and also in this set up nearly any of the cameras being flaunted here will do it!

July 21, 2014 at 3:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Also, the comments about the risks of investing into a system are a little ridiculous. There are WORKHORSE cameras like the Sony F55 that are expensive (gasp!) but have all the features necessary to remain a viable piece of professional equipment for the next 10 years.

On the lower end, the URSA signifies a very interesting development that could pick up steam soon. Interchangeable sensors could truly revolutionise the gear cycle that's been ramping up recently.

And let's get something straight: 4K will not be a broadcast delivery format for many, many years.

July 19, 2014 at 8:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ON

But then the "broadcast" delivery will lose its "broad" status. Everything will be streamed or played off the 4K Blu-ray discs.
PS. There have been some inklings about redoing the OTA broadcast from its old MPEG-2 compression to H.265/HEVC. At the very worst, it'll provide close to one hundred 720p/1080i OTA channels. Then a 4K signal compressed down to 2.5K can be enough of a sweet spot.

July 20, 2014 at 1:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

I bougt my FS100 used a month ago for less than $2000 dollars with a Metabones adapter and a bunch of Zacuto accessories. I wonder what the used prices will drop to know. This might soon be the best bang for buck camera out there.
BTW I shoot it against some 4K and the BMCC, yes its not as sharp and detailed but it still looked better and it ot way more usable shoots due to its ease of use.
Still love my Blackmagics but the FS100 is my swiz army camera.

July 20, 2014 at 2:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

M

I agree M, the FS100 is my workhorse camera also. I bought the FMU with it also which allows you to record 10 hours continuous nonstop which has been very practical filming all day long events where you need to be able to continuously record and not fiddle with changing out cards. With the Rokinon lenses this camera produces a wonderful image.

Here is a nice example:

July 20, 2014 at 3:51AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Satva

nobody hires you for all the gear you have in the closet

July 20, 2014 at 6:15AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

eduardo

FWIW, Panasonic has commenced shipping FZ 1000 in Japan - 4K for $900. Smaller sensor than GH4 (the same as Sony RX 100) but the same codec and the recording bitrate. Early videos look ... handheld.

July 20, 2014 at 10:37AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

Another great attribute of the FS-100 is it's low light ability. Coupled with a speedbooster, it's one of the best performing low light cameras out there.

July 20, 2014 at 6:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dimitri

Its a great camera, and that's a terrific price.
Even I'm slightly tempted. Put that new small Atomos recorder on top - that's a decent broadcast doco machine/indie feature cam for not much, and would work well with a Pocket.

/the GH4 propaganda has completely overrun this site. I barely bother coming anymore. How's that revamp going? Love the A7s "specialty cam" nonsense - does a PR company come up with these lines?

/the Blackmagic roadshows should be fun over the next month. Might see some of you there!

/new CION footage hitting the web shortly. Its all on folks.

July 20, 2014 at 11:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

marklondon

If you want to help an aspiring filmmaker change the world, follow this link!

July 21, 2014 at 7:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

KT

is there a difference between the fs100u and the fs100uk?

July 27, 2014 at 1:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

daniel

the GH4's camera has a sharp but not a great picture. DR is similar to my iPhone and small sensors will always disappoint in that regard. So panasonic fans, please stop kidding yourselves. Sony's A7s would've been the killer cam if it wasn't for the rolling shutter issues. But if moving around like crazy isn't what you normally do, that's your F65 right there, in FX mind you. Sony FS100 for $2500 is awesome, also good for the next 2-3 years until delivering 4k will be what the client wants. My clients only get 720p now and they love it. The only issue I would have with the FS700 is ND filters. For what I do, setting up around 300 shots per day, level, tilt shift, crazy change in exposure, I can't use anything but a Canon C100. The C100 is great for setting up a shot super quickly. The image from the 4k sensor is sharp, clean, low in noise, good highlight retention to a degree.. it works in any situation. I'm assuming that sensor will be the bases of their new 4k camera, hopefully next year. Blackmagic on the other hand, hmmm.. i own one and I think the dynamic range isn't where it matters. I simply do not care about 8 stops below the mid point. i will crush it in the end to create contrast in post. it's the ones above midpoint that matter and Blackmagic creates some of the ugliest highlights you will ever see, even comparing it to an iPhone. I regret investing in speed boosters, rigs etc. it has been disappointing and that is from personal experience. oh how badly i wanted not to feel this way...

Anyway, good times nonetheless. The FS700 Q7 combo is also cool, but if you're spending that much, might as well get a red dragon. almost all problems solved.

July 30, 2014 at 5:41AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

marko sydney

If only the FS100 worked well with the Sony 18-105mm f/4 G!! :-/

I hope Sony updates this lens for the FS100 like they did for the FS700.

August 30, 2014 at 4:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM