August 15, 2015

The Versatile Scorpion Light Arrives in the US: Get 2 Free Lights When You Buy a Set of 4

LED Scorpion Light Promotion
One of our favorite LED lighting solutions just arrived on B&H, and for a limited time, you can snag six lights for the price of four.

In case you need a refresher on the Scorpion lights, they're extremely versatile little LEDs that can be mounted just about anywhere with the included super clamps and 1/4-20 threading, and they can be powered from batteries for portability. We've also shared a number of lighting tutorials based around the Scorpions, including a look at how they can be used in interview setups and to supplement practical lighting.

Here's Billy from Blind Spot Gear with a walkthrough of the Scorpion lights.

And here's a cool review of the lights from filmmaker Andrew Gormley:

If you're interested in picking up a set of these lights, $1,000 will get you a combination of six lights in your choice of daylight and tungsten heads. The Scorpion kits are set to start shipping from B&H on September 15th, and the promotion will likely end in early September as well.

Ok they look great but what's their CRI? lol

August 15, 2015 at 5:09PM, Edited August 15, 5:09PM

These look great, but I had to do some digging to find out just how bright they are. The Blind Spot Gear website sates, "The Watts in terms of a traditional tungsten light is 75W, however our lens is 36 degrees @ 50% full angle. This means the light is directed and gives a punch, 1940 lux @ 3 foot."

I was wondering how accurate their 75W claim is. Using the Arri Photometric Calculator (http://calc.arri.de/calculator) and this footcandles to lux calculator (http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/light/fc-to-lux-calculator.htm) confirms that the Scorpion Lights output less light than your traditional Arri 150W Fresnel Tungsten lamp. However according to my rough calculations the Scorpion lights might output a little more than the claimed 75W equivalent:

Scorpion Light is 1940 lux @ 3ft (36 degree angle)
Arri 150 is 2100 lux (or 195 fc) @ 3ft (30 degree angle)

I could be wrong, if anyone else has time to waste feel free to weigh in. Either way, these don't seem to be bright enough to use as key light, unless maybe you're using a camera that excels in low light.

August 15, 2015 at 5:16PM

Ty
Cinematographer, Editor, Director

1940 lux at 3ft is ok... but that's putting the light really close to the subject. They are also a very small light source and if you wanted to diffuse these guys to make them bigger at 75w you would lose a ton of light. Even with the 1x1 panel that I own I feel like if I go past 7-8 feet from the subject the light is not doing very much anymore. Outside of an accent light I don't see much use beyond that.

In my opinion, the scenes and interviews that I've seen shot with these are always really dark and too contrasty.

August 17, 2015 at 6:42PM

Joseph Lindsay
Director of Photography/Motion Designer

I have one. A second on order. Highly recommended.

August 15, 2015 at 10:11PM

Comparison to Lowell 100 Watt Fresnel. Lens open on the Lowell.

Lowell 100W: http://i.imgur.com/U9p3wrG.jpg

Scorpion Tungsten: http://i.imgur.com/E973Cvd.jpg

I believe that 75W rated for the Scorpion is about right.

August 16, 2015 at 12:21PM

Don't IKEA make something like this?!?

August 17, 2015 at 6:12AM, Edited August 17, 6:12AM

Funny you mention that bc i was in Ikea today and saw those. I played around with them.
-they're way less bright
-no battery power
-no dimmer
-no barn doors for filters

August 17, 2015 at 7:26AM

I know they are not the same league, but hey they are only £10 each!! They could be adapted to run off portable power, because they have a wall wart included. Even you change the LED source, add in the 'Manfrotto' clamps, add in the battery power sleds etc and the case, I don't see the wholesale cost going beyond $500. Still someone has to make a profit.

August 19, 2015 at 8:22AM

I wish to know how much is it to produce them.

August 21, 2015 at 1:10PM

or these hung on magic arms

August 19, 2015 at 8:38AM

Ya those with friction arms and something like this:

Would be cheaper and probably better.

August 22, 2015 at 12:23AM, Edited August 22, 12:25AM

Jeremy
Director of Photography

75w is not a lot of light. Hard lights are versatile only if they are powerful enough to be defused. If you put anything in front of these lights than you are loosing too much light for anything useful! I'm curious what a window with daylight coming in looks like in the background when using these things for an interview. $1000 dollars is quite a bit for what looks like LED torches I can buy off Amazon for much less! Unless you already have a decent light kit I don't think I would recommend starting with these!

August 18, 2015 at 3:30PM, Edited August 18, 3:30PM

Just search Alibaba for LED, Spot, Flexible. In fact, what is wrong with say a high powered torch, clamps, magic arms?

August 19, 2015 at 8:32AM

I find them very useful as rim lights, or background coloring. Haven't even thought of using it as a key or fill. Still using Kinos. I suppose you could use it as a key in a low light scenario (in a car, etc).

August 19, 2015 at 4:18PM

For $1K set, I find it inexcusable to not at least include mains or batteries with battery adapters. This system will not work out of the box and Blind Spot would have you spend another $200 at a minimum (+$220 for battery adapters) to have lights that work.

Instead, as a "bonus" you get two additional fixtures. I wonder if they would offer to buy them back for $270 a pop in accessories credit?

August 27, 2015 at 3:29PM

After posting this morning, B&H Staff has confirmed that the promo kit comes with AC adapters. Disregard the above comment.

Battery adapters are an additional $55 each. Sony batteries and chargers are widely available, so if you were to go that route and don't have any laying around, I would recommend Amazon or eBay for better pricing.

August 27, 2015 at 6:33PM