Sony's newest firmware has arrived for the FS7, and with it comes a bunch of new features and support for additional functions.
As part of the 3.0 firmware, Sony has improved focus magnification by giving you more options for positioning, and they've also added a 2K crop mode for shooting with Super 16mm or other broadcast lenses that don't cover the full Super 35mm frame. One of the big changes is that they've fixed some issues with RAW recording that cinema5D helped find. Here they are on this problem:
The issues we saw prior to today’s firmware update were:
Frame drops when shooting at 200fps (PAL) and lower than expected bit depth, affecting the dynamic range of external recordings. Read all about these issues HERE.
We had a chance to test a version of the firmware in early January, and we can confirm that the issues are no longer present. The frame drops are fixed, and processing has been improved so the RAW images look more natural and we could see a higher bit depth.
However, we also found that the bit depth is still lower at high frame rates (e.g.: 240fps RAW). This is due to the limited data rate that can be put through a single 3G-SDI cable. Thus dynamic range on internal recordings (XAVC) remains slightly higher.
As for the other features, they've also added some noise reduction options for the Cine EI mode, and have added interval recording to the camera. Here's a look at everything in this update:
- 1.) Focus Magnification function is improved.
- Support for magnification area position adjustment
- Magnification resolution improvement
- 2.) Support for “2K Full”, “2K Center” setting in Image Scan Mode
- 3.) Support for Interval Recording function
- 4.) Expand lowest value of Zebra level to 0%
- 5.) Support for Noise Suppression setting in Cine EI mode
- 6.) Video Signal Monitor usability is improved.
- 7.) The operability of “Iris setting” using the “Iris dial” and the “assignable dial” is improved.
- 8.) FS-RAW image quality and operation stability improvement
- 9.) Overall stability and operability of the camera is improved
To download the update for your camera, head on over to the links below.