December 2, 2016

Watch: Kristen Stewart's Wild Rolling Stones Music Video Proves 2016 is Hers

Kristen Stewart stars 'Ride 'Em On Down,' a new music video for the Rolling Stones.

She starred in Woody Allen's Cafe Society, Kelly Reichardt's Certain Women, Olivier Assayas' Personal Shopper, Drake Doremus' Equals, and Ang Lee's Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk. So, what didn't Kirsten Stewart do this year?

With the release of a new Rolling Stones music video today, it's undeniable: 2016 is the year of Kristen Stewart. In a Los Angeles which appears to have been abandoned after 1960, Stewart puts the pedal to the medal in a blue Ford Mustang, stopping only to dance like crazy at a gas station. Amid canted angles, Stewart evokes the Stones tongue symbology; she licks a blue lollipop and cruises past skyscrapers, one of which boasts the tongue on its roof.

Also in the music video, Stones lyrics appear in the streets, a zebra makes a special guest appearance, and Stewart gets a chance to showcase her signature lip-biting performance after she gets pulled over by an unlikely cop. The piece was directed by François Rousselet, who has recently helmed videos for Snoop Dogg and Iggy Azalea.

"Ride 'Em On Down," which the Stones originally recorded in 1955, is the band’s first single in more than a decade. It also marks their 25th studio album.

No, I didn't decide to be mean today but, sorry... I don't think this is great. Quite forgettable, actually. She's driving a blue mustang around recklessly and acting punk-ish. She gets pulled over by the cliched rough-styled character I have seen in countless other videos. 'Cool' I guess but, what's the attraction?

And, as far as attraction goes, I've never really understood that which Kristen Stewart seems to have with folks. Maybe I haven't watched enough of her but, is she that remarkable?

December 2, 2016 at 3:15PM, Edited December 2, 3:17PM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

Totally agree.

December 2, 2016 at 3:38PM, Edited December 2, 3:38PM

Nazia Nusrat Adnin
Director /Writer

Agreed.

December 2, 2016 at 5:22PM

Thales Banzai
Director; Screenwriter

I kind of agree? That's kind of how I feel about jennifer lawrence. I personally think she over acts in her movies. But going back to Kristen Stewart, I like her personally but not all of her movies.

Anyhow, I thought the color was beautifully done here.

December 2, 2016 at 6:18PM, Edited December 2, 6:19PM

Keith Kim
Photographer

Have you seen Clouds of Sils Maria? Cafe Society? Certain Women? Personal Shopper?

December 2, 2016 at 6:49PM

aron

agreed... artsy? yes. stand apart? nope. innovative? nope. experimental? nope. Post apocalyptic? yes. Everyone and their dog has to have a post apocalyptic content on the webs. Originality? Big Nope. So it is a visual titillation for men who are mustang fans. Any chevy lover would rather see any number of classic trucks, cars, etc. Ford has only the movie Bullet to stand on after all these years. Surprised it wasn't painted Bullet green. The blue is Shebly-ish. That is all I got from it. Was it shot well? yes. Was it her driving? probably not since you never clearly see her while a stunt is being performed other than the stunt of putting beer in car and lolly pop in mouth. Or I could be wrong ;)

December 3, 2016 at 3:50PM

Gilly

I thank that she and Robert really need to do that twilight movie together and he shouldn't let his so called gf try to stop him doing it to save his job that's bs if he wants to do a new movie with Kristen that's up to him he should do whatever makes him happy

December 2, 2016 at 4:15PM

Jackie

Nothing special here...

December 2, 2016 at 5:04PM, Edited December 2, 5:04PM

nice camera and coloring

December 2, 2016 at 8:32PM, Edited December 2, 8:32PM

Andrew Kierans
Digital Cinema Technician

I thought it was pretty cool in the beginning. But I don't like seeing the L.A. bridge or the river anymore. I had hopes it would go a different route.. any other route.

December 2, 2016 at 11:50PM

Vincent Gortho
none

I don't get the hate, for real.

It's a music video, stereotypical music video, who hasn't done/enjoyed one of those? So one of these chicks make a video crawling and singing about haters, or moving butt-cheeks or dancing against a background like any other thousand is ok, or MIA flips the finger and is adored instantly, K.S can't?

It's not an Oscar, but has some value:
Looks shot on film, and some 70's aesthetic; It was planned carefully to show vintage L.A, and the story/idea was selected to showcase actress' features (or vice-versa).

I liked it; it's not going to be a classic, but who cares. The ones shooting it I bet had a lot of fun, in front or behind the camera.

December 3, 2016 at 12:59AM

Carlos Luis Pujol
Director of Photography

No hate. We're just expressing opinion.

December 3, 2016 at 10:08AM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

"No, I didn't decide to be mean today but, sorry..."
That's not how you start an opinion.
Also, is like the actress get all the heat for what you don't like in the video. She didn't do the directing, the cinematography, the art and the production. She is the actress.
Just sayin'

December 4, 2016 at 7:14AM

Carlos Luis Pujol
Director of Photography

Is it fact or your opinion that I started my opinion poorly?

December 4, 2016 at 8:55PM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

0_o

...It is my perception that you wanted to offer some criticism but at the same time you couldn't contain yourself hating the video -and expressing it in a mean way... so kinda "hate".

Criticism shouldn't be an attack (that's my opinion), especially when all the failures (in your opinion) you are pointing out are not the fault of only one person, K. Stewart (fact).

But all the above was toooo nazi, sorry. It's all subjective anyways ;)

Truce? :D

December 5, 2016 at 11:48PM

Carlos Luis Pujol
Director of Photography

Why do I get the sensed that she's being PR pushed really hard right now --and not a whole lot of the praises I'm seeing about her in the media are earnest?

And I like her as an actress... just feel the machine whirring is all.

December 3, 2016 at 1:09AM, Edited December 3, 1:14AM

Maybe it's a natural side effect of her being really good and working really hard?

December 3, 2016 at 2:59PM

aron

Not happy to see smoking at a gas station encouraged by the Rolling Stones at this point. These jokers are senior citizens and they didn't get to 65 by lighting up at the gas pump. And you can count on hundreds if not thousands of copycat crimes, some of which will result in gas stations blown sky high and deaths.

Idiots.

PS. Kristen Stewart has more trash appeal than sex appeal as far as I can tell. Which is surprising as she was caught shagging at the side of the road. Alicia Vikander would be an example of a young actress with real, smouldering sex appeal.

December 10, 2016 at 6:36PM, Edited December 10, 6:37PM

Alec Kinnear
Creative Director

amazing 25th studio, "Ride 'Em On Down," which the Stones originally recorded in 1955, is the band’s first single in more than a decade. It also marks their 25th studio album. http://www.suzukiphoquang.org/suzuki-ertiga

September 20, 2017 at 10:19AM