We Put RED and ARRI Head to Head & What Makes a Film 'Indie,' Anyway? [PODCAST]
In this episode of Indie Film Weekly, we weigh in on how "independent film" should be defined and share results of our big shootout between the Alexa Mini and Epic-W Helium.
Co-hosts Jon Fusco, Emily Buder, and yours truly, Liz Nord discuss how the inaugural American Independent Film Awards are helping to redefine awards season, how indie cinemas are banding together nationwide for a cause, a surprising way to increase your film’s profitability, and SAG-AFTRA’s political turn. Tech writer Charles Haine joins us for gear news, including our epic (and contentious) shootout between recent two popular cameras and a new lens from Fujinon that marks the company’s venture into the world of indie film. In Ask No Film School, we advise on why your videos look so different on YouTube than in your editing system, and how to compensate.
As always, the show also brings news you can use about gear, upcoming grant and festival deadlines, this week’s indie film releases, our Ask No Film School segment, and other notable things you might have missed while you were busy making films.
Listen to the episode by streaming or downloading from the embedded player above, or find on iTunes here.
Show Links & Mentions
No Film School articles
- 'Krisha' Dominates the Inaugural American Independent Film Awards
- How SXSW Winner Trey Edward Shults Shot 'Krisha' with His Family in 9 Days
- 'My Life as a Zucchini': How to Bring Your Audience to Tears with Puppets
- Video: Explore the Final Scenes of 45 Oscar-Winning Films
- Download 9 of the 10 Screenplays Nominated for the 2017 Oscars Right Now
- Which Cameras Were Used on the Oscar-Nominated Films of 2017?
- REVIEW: Fujifilm MK 18-55 Zoom Lens
- Avid Goes 88 MPH 'Back to the Future' with Media Composer 8.8
- Shootout: ARRI Alexa Mini vs. RED Epic-W Helium
Upcoming Deadlines: Grants & Opportunities
- Visions Sud Est Fund - February 28
- Nickelodeon Writing Program - February 28
- Vision Maker - 2017 Public Media Content Fund - March 1
Upcoming Deadlines: Festivals
- Boston Short Film Festival - February 27
- Seattle Shorts Film Festival - February 28
- The Charlotte Film Festival - February 28
- Humboldt International Film Festival - February 28
- Lower East Side Film Festival - March 1
- Tickled- February 27
- Captain Fantastic - February 27
- I Don’t Feel At Home In This World Anymore - February 24
This episode of Indie Film Weekly was produced and edited by Jon Fusco.