The rig can no longer be considered a "trend."
We talked with the inventor of the Steadicam, Garrett Brown, at NAB this year where he was marketing his latest product, a small stabilizer for your iPhone. His original invention, conceived back in 1975, has now sprouted into a filmmaking phenomenon. You can find a stabilizer for almost every single type of camera on the market these days. Not only did we see a ton of these products exhibited at NAB, but there were an enormous amount of attendees using them for their own personal coverage of the event as well.
Similarly, drone filmmaking really *ahem* took off this year, and with the ongoing legitimacy of the craft, stabilizers are now being built specially for aerial photography. DJI really seems to be separating itself from the pack in this regard. They continue to develop hardware and accessories for their drones that are really unmatched on the market. When will a competitive new player emerge?
Below is a list of all our drone, gimbal and dolly videos from NAB or, alternatively, just click play on the playlist up top and let it ride.
- Grip Gear's Smartphone Dolly Costs $99 and Fits in a Shoebox
- ThinkTankPhoto's New Bags Allow You to Transport Fully Assembled Camera Rigs
- New 10' Rails from Dana Dolly Screw Together, Making Them Much More Portable
- Shape Unveils a Bunch of Accessories for Canon, RED, and More
- Bright Tangerine Shows Off Fantastic New Alexa Accessories
- The Steadicam Volt Makes Smartphone & GoPro Stabilization Easier than Ever
- Optical Support's Rickshaw Gives You Smooth Shots in the Bumpiest of Circumstances
- Wooden Camera Rolls Out A Stellar Universal Follow Focus
- Easyrig Shows Off A Little Something For the Ladies
- SYRP Unveils the Time Lapse System You've Been Waiting For
- Freefly Reveals Movi Carbon, First Handheld Gimbal of its Kind
- The DJI Ronin 2 is the Gimbal of Your Dreams
- Swing From POV to Ground in One Fluid Motion with Glidecam's True Horizon
- DJI's FPV Goggles Place You Inside the Drone Cockpit
- Freefly Drops First Drone-Mountable 5-Axis Camera Stabilizer
- DJI Announces Next Generation Ronin 2 Stabilizer That Carries Up to 30lbs
More of No Film School's coverage from the NAB showroom floor: