July 27, 2015

Blackmagic's DaVinci Resolve 12 is Finally Here. Download the Public Beta Now

The newest version of Blackmagic's color app, Davinci Resolve 12, has arrived.

Though it started its life strictly doing color, Resolve has become so much more over the last few years, and in version 12, it's now a full-fledged non-linear editor. One of the first big changes you'll notice is that the free version is no longer referred to as Lite. Instead, the non-paid and paid versions are now known as DaVinci Resolve 12 and DaVinci Resolve 12 Studio, respectively.

They are essentially still the same products, and the free version still has the same limitations. With the nearly $1,000 Resolve 12 Studio (which is a free upgrade for previous owners of Resolve), you'll get support for multiple GPUs, 4K output, motion blur effects, temporal and spatial noise reduction, 3D tools, and remote and multi user collaboration tools. It's also worth noting that the full version of Resolve comes free with Blackmagic's higher-end digital cinema cameras, so if you've bought a BMCC 2.5K, BMPC4K, or URSA, you're good to go with Resolve 12 Studio.

Here's a new video Blackmagic posted today with the release of the Beta:

We also talked with Blackmagic at NAB 2015 to get a quick overview of some of the exciting new features:

Just some of what's new in 12:

New Editing Tools

• Slick New Interface that's Cleaner, Easier on the Eyes
  • Multicam Editing with a Host of Sync Options
  • Improved Trimming including Advanced Simultaneous Multi-Track Trimming
  • Nesting Timelines for Working on Large Projects with Multiple Complex Timelines
  • On-Screen Controls for Manipulating and Animating Motion paths of Graphics
  • Highly Customizable Transitions Using Curves Editor with Bezier Handles
  • Real Time Audio Mixing by Recording Fader Moves
  • VST and Audio Unit Plugins for Full Control of Audio
  • Export to Avid Pro Tools for Professional Audio Mix
  • Improved Media Management and Bins

New Color Correction Tools

• Enhanced 3D Tracker
  • Brand New 3D Keyer for Color Correction and Compositing

You can download the Public Betas for both Resolve 12 and Resolve 12 Studio here. Resolve 12 is compatible with Mac and PC while Resolve 12 Studio works on Mac, PC, and Linux. Resolve 11 came out of Beta a little over a month after it was released, so if you're not a fan of using Beta software, you won't have to wait long before the full release version is out (though Blackmagic's Betas are usually pretty far along in terms of being stable).

Finally :) Thanks for keeping us posted!

July 27, 2015 at 4:48AM

I hope there will eventually be an OpenFX Three-way colour Corrector filter to apply in the edit page as switching to the Color page all the time to make adjustments is a time waste. As well as hundreds of other FX filters instead of creating numerous nodes to make the same effect. If we had that option to either apply effects in the EditPage as well as Color Page I then would consider using it as my one and only NLE.

July 27, 2015 at 5:37AM

Kark Karlsson
Camera Guy

For somebody looking into spending around 3000 bucks to buy a camera and hesitating between a black magic 4k, either production or Ursa mini and the Sony A7r2 this is becoming a no brainer. The black magic comes with an amazing editing suite for free that is also the best color grading software available.

July 27, 2015 at 11:13AM, Edited July 27, 11:13AM

I tried Resolve 11, seemed overwhelmingly memory hungry to me, everything was slow (compared to Premiere Pro CC 2014). I now have a faster machine so I might take 12 for a spin.

July 27, 2015 at 12:30PM

Kayode

I will definitely be testing it out. The editing/organization tools are absolutely a FCP X/Premiere love child. It'll be interesting to see where this one goes. Now to see what they do with Fusion 8.

July 27, 2015 at 4:10PM

Braden Storrs
Post Production Manager, Photographer

So its cheaper to buy a BMPCC which comes with it than to buy the full version? Seems really wierd to me.

July 28, 2015 at 12:32PM

I have a 2013 Mac Pro and attempting to even lightly grade UHD footage on the new Resolve 12 is still mind-bogglingly slow compared to Premiere Pro--and the renders are still riddled with green and red lines. 1080p works fine. Unless you have a $10,000-$15,000 set-up I think Resolve 12 is for 1080p and below.

July 28, 2015 at 12:46PM

J Robbins

u prob need a better GPU

July 29, 2015 at 4:54AM

Gary Tyler
Director

I aint got a $10K machine but a $700 which runs BMC 2,5K RAW in real-time.
You might need SSD disk though.

July 30, 2015 at 4:17PM, Edited July 30, 4:17PM

d h

Is anyone else having constant crashes? I had to go back to Resolve 11 because the crashes were restarting my computer abruptly.

July 29, 2015 at 3:29PM

Does anyone know if there's some tool (like "automatic speed" in fcpx) to do slow motion out of 60fps in Davinci Resolve 12? Thank you so much!

July 31, 2015 at 10:16PM

Thiago Pereira
Editor

Having just had a quick play, I was quite impressed. The thought of 1000 pages of pdf documentation was quite daunting but I think that I will try and sneak through and use just the bits I want and not worry about the rest. I tried out some EOS-M footage and the LUTs, specifically the film ones and found that one of the Kodaks looked really really nice, although some of the others looked awful. It's a bit of a blow because I paid actual real money for Powerdirector (although discounted) and then discovered that it would cost twice as much again to have decent colour correction with it.
I would have liked help bubbles over buttons to tell me what they actually do if I press them. Most of you guys won't need that, I suppose but I would find it useful.
The multicam editing looks good but I haven't got as far as seeing how they can be synched. An autosync using all the audio tracks would be useful to avoid frustration.

August 2, 2015 at 1:33PM, Edited August 2, 1:34PM