Doc Alliance Streaming 17 Agnès Varda Documentaries for Free Until February 17th
Doc Alliance, a documentary distribution platform which is the result of a partnership between seven European documentary film festivals, frequently runs retrospectives of great documentary filmmakers. This month, and until February 17th, they are streaming 17 films from the legendary French filmmaker Agnès Varda. Click through for more details on her and the films they are showing.
Here is what Doc Alliance had to say about Varda:
Agnès Varda created a stir by participating in the creation of the script for the erotic film Last Tango in Paris. Her creative film Cléo from 5 to 7 is considered one of the gems of the French New Wave. Some French critics perceived Varda as a director who parodies the New Wave. With a smile she responded that this statement is not precise because at that time she was still only in her thirties. Varda herself is against categorising. In her films, she focuses on topics such as sex, ageing, death and breaking social taboos.
A clip from one of her most famous films (that is currently available for streaming), La Pointe Courte:
There are two parts to this film: sequences of life in the fishing village of La Pointe Courte (a government inspector's visit, the death of a child) alternate with others following a couple - He is from La Pointe Courte, she is Parisian - coming to terms with their changing relationship.
A list of all of the films available until the 17th:
- Quelques Veuves de Noirmoutier / 2006 / France / 70 min
- Ydessa, The Bears and Etc. / 2004 / France / 44 min
- Women Reply: Our Bodies, Our Sex / 1975 / France / 8 min
- Black Panthers / 1968 / France / 30 min
- Salut Les Cubains / 1963 / France / 30 min
- Uncle Yanco / 1967 / France / 22 min
- Elsa La Rose / 1965 / France / 20 min
- Diary of a Pregnant Woman / 1958 / France / 17 min
- The Beaches of Agnès / 2008 / France / 110 min
- Two Years Later / 2001 / France / 64 min
- The Gleaners and I / 1999 / France / 82 min
- L’Univers de Jacques Demy / 1993 / France / 90 min
- Documenteur / 1981 / France / 63 min
- Mur Murs / 81 / France / 80 min
- Daguerrèotypes / 75 / France / 75 min
- La Pointe Courte / 1954 / France / 80 min
- The So-Called Caryatids / 1984 / France / 13 min
So what are you waiting for? Head on over to the site to watch some work from one of the greatest documentary filmmakers of all time!