July 15, 2014

Check Out the New Features in Adobe Audition 2014, Including Advanced Dolby Encoding

For the past month, we've been covering the latest release of Adobe's CC video applications extensively -- from the exciting new titling features in Premiere, to the two new keying effects inside of After Effects, to the full gamut of new features in SpeedGrade. Those aren't the only apps that received a few new welcome additions to their feature-sets, however. Audition, Adobe's audio post-production program, also got a few new usability and interface updates that make multi-track mixing sessions easier to navigate. In an excerpt from one of his many post production courses, Larry Jordan breaks down these new features in Audition and provides a few helpful tips and tricks.

This excerpt comes from one of  Jordan's most recent webinars, which explores all of the new features in Premiere CC and Audition CC (the 2014 versions) in as much detail as you could possibly want. Here's the excerpt, which provides an overview of everything that's new inside of this latest release of Audition, plus a few helpful tricks for encoding and navigating multitrack sessions.

Perhaps the most significant feature in this release is the ability to import and export Dolby Digital (AC-3) and Dolby Digital Plus (EC-3) files, which are the industry standard mix-down formats for multitrack audio sessions. This addition makes Audition a far more valuable tool for standalone audio post production work outside of the Adobe ecosystem. In the video, Jordan also walks you through the process of determining correct levels for the "Dialogue Normalization" setting in the Dolby Digital export dialogue. This setting should be set to the average loudness of your dialogue tracks, a number which can be found in the Amplitude Statistics window.

The other major feature in this recent update is very much centered around aesthetics and making the interface as easy as possible to navigate during complex multitrack mixing sessions. At first, the implementation of the color-coded vertical navigation bar seems like a lackluster feature, but for those of us who like to organize projects with color, navigating complex timelines with multiple tracks of dialogue, SFX, music, etc. just got a whole lot easier.

If you're interested in checking out the other new features in Audition CC 2014 (and Premiere CC 2014 as well) be sure to check out the rest of the Larry Jordan seminar.

Link: 126: New Features in Adobe Premiere & Audition -- Larry Jordan

[via Wolfcrow]

Adobe is letting me down, I have a new macP and premiere is so bad, so many bug, so man lines and problems. What happened between adobe and apple to make adobe on a mac so incredibly terrible with the new os. 9.3 and 9.4. Is it a secret battle apple is waging to get all adobe users back on to final cut. Im seriously think of leaving. Anybody else having issues?

July 16, 2014 at 1:14AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

dang

There is definitely something wrong with the latest release - both Premiere and Audition CC 2014 crash for no apparent reason (I'm also on a Mac). I don't even know what to specify in the crash report, because for ex. Audition dies when I hit play in a very simple session (one wav file imported and placed in the multitrack view).

July 17, 2014 at 6:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Andrew

wowow @dang is adobe premiere cc 2014 that bad???

July 16, 2014 at 5:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Unfortunately I am experiencing some delays as well on my brand new iMac after upgrading to 2014. Hope they will solve these bugs soon.

July 16, 2014 at 6:04AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kasper

So happy I've stayed with CS6. I still just don't feel the need to *rent* my software.

July 17, 2014 at 4:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

CC

I guess I've been lucky so far, most of the glitches are pretty minor for me. The Mac OS update stabilized me pretty well. But man: CC2014 is rending my projects in half the time it took CC, (which is half of what it took CS6 to render)

July 18, 2014 at 2:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

David

I don't have any major problems. But some advice could be is to be more like some businesses they don't upgrade until 6 months into the product to give them time to work the major bugs out. All product launches have bugs.

July 16, 2014 at 7:22AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

david

Yup. I have more crashes and issues, but at the same time there's a lot of new features and I think it runs smoother. It's essentially a point-zero product, so give it a couple updates if you want it to run flawlessly.

Enjoying it a lot more over Avid whose sole new feature is how they sell it to us.

July 16, 2014 at 9:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Helpful tips--thanks to Larry for the video. I am confused on a technical point though: Larry explained what normalization settings to use for Dolby export (average loudness), updating his advice from not using normalization--however, he made a point of saying don't use compression, because you don't want your audio work altered. Isn't normalization altering the audio too? Why change the stance at all on normalization during export? I'm probably missing a nuance, but it seemed contradictory.

July 16, 2014 at 11:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I think "CC" in the name comes from Continuously Crashing - at least that's the case for me

July 17, 2014 at 6:25AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Andrew

Ha! Adobe Audition!

A joke of an application when used on a Mac. Crash city. Corruption city.

I was forced to use this appalling program to edit, mix and master dialogue and music soundtrack for a documentary. 3 hellish weeks I will never get back.

Advice - under no circumstances should Adobe Audition be used for a professional job on a deadline. You have been warned.

July 17, 2014 at 7:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

james

I haven't had any issues with adobe on apple... and the current OS is like 10.4...

July 18, 2014 at 6:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM