John Waters Picks the 10 Best Movies of 2017
This should be interesting.
John Waters has always been a director on the edge. His counter-culture films are responsible for pushing the boundaries of the public's cinematic taste buds. So when it comes to the onslaught of end of the year lists we'll see spouting forth over the course of the next month, perhaps Waters' should be noted for featuring some of 2017's freshest voices.
If anything, it certainly is one of the more diverse groups of films you'll come across. Many awards season contenders are notably absent from the list including The Florida Project, Lady Bird, and perhaps most surprisingly from a man who loves his horror flicks, Get Out.
Instead, Edgar Wright's self-proclaimed "car-chase musical" and first true blockbuster smash Baby Driver sits at number one. The number two spot goes to a film many of us have never even heard of before, the Czech true crime drama I, Olga Hepnarová. We were glad to see a choice from debut feature filmmakers Christopher Radcliff and Lauren Wolkstein of The Strange Ones. Perhaps the most surprising choice, however, belongs to Woody Allen's Wonder Wheel at number nine.
You can check out the whole list, along with their trailers and links to our coverage, below.
1. Baby Driver (Edgar Wright)
2. I, Olga Hepnarová (Tomáš Weinreb and Petr Kazda)
3. The Strange Ones (Christopher Radcliff and Lauren Wolkstein)
4. Nocturama (Bertrand Bonello)
5. Wonderstruck (Todd Haynes)
7. The Wizard Of Lies (Barry Levinson)
8. Lady Macbeth (William Oldroyd)
9. Wonder Wheel (Woody Allen)
10. Tom Of Finland (Dome Karukoski)