September 13, 2015

'Star Wars' Poetry: How Shots & Scenes in the Prequels Refer Back to the Original Films

Star Wars Poetry Prequels Original Trilogy
Plenty of you aren't fans of the most recent Star Wars trilogy, commonly known as the prequels.

While Episodes I, II, and III certainly had their share of issues, and I'm a huge fan of the whole series, I think they're better in a lot of ways than people give them credit for, and the original films have so much nostalgia surrounding them that it's hard to see the flaws (the Ewoks are kind of silly, and it's unlikely a bunch of living teddy bears could be any use against the Empire). Though George Lucas wrote and directed Star Wars: Episode IV, he actually didn't direct, and wasn't the only writer, on Episodes V and VI. Contrast that with his total and complete control writing and directing all three prequels, and you can see where problems might arise.

Either way, one thing he's not given much credit for is the cyclical nature of the series, and the way Episodes I, II, and III refer back to the films in the original trilogy. Some of them were inevitable nods, and not necessarily intentionally done, but many others are a way of tying the series together. In this video from Pablo Fernández Eyre, here is a look at the Star Wars films in a way you may never have seen:

Certainly the music is a little dramatic, but the point is definitely made. A few of these might have been obvious if you're a big fan of the films, but others are insignificant moments outside of the fact that they have complements in both trilogies.

Even though Lucas isn't directly involved in making The Force Awakens, since a bunch of the same characters are returning, and we know J.J. Abrams has a lot of respect for Episodes IV, V and VI, I would expect that we are going to see more of these nods to scenes in the original films. Now that we have six films in the series, there will likely be many more opportunities to make the cyclical nature of this universe more apparent, and show how everything is connected.

For more of Pablo's terrific videos, check out his Vimeo page

Amazing. One of my favourite series of all time

September 13, 2015 at 5:23PM, Edited September 13, 5:23PM

Kenny Rehmeier
Co-Founder of Visualize You

People harp on the prequels as bad movies, but they have a lot of redeeming qualities.

September 13, 2015 at 6:01PM, Edited September 13, 6:01PM

Zachary Will
Cinematographer

Ugh!!! I've always hated the terrible prequels, and am so happy that JJ Abrams is going to pretend that they never happened.

This is the ONLY version of the Star Wars Prequels that I absolutely love...

September 13, 2015 at 7:42PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Not gonna lie. Hated the computer game look of episode 2 and 3. But I thought 3 was a kick-ass well scripted more mature and quite emotional film. But even as a kid episode 1 was a supreme disappointment. Agree with Zachary Will though, episode 1 and 2 both have redeeming qualities and in episode 2 they probably outweigh the bad, not sure anything can outweigh what so obviously went wrong with episode one though. Thanks for sharing this video, gives me more appreciation for the thought that's gone into binding the whole story together.

September 13, 2015 at 11:29PM

Dean Butler
Writer Director Shooter Editor

I agree 3 was the strongest by far. I like it a lot. I actually rank Ep. 1 above Ep. 2 though. The "video game" feel plus the horrible dialogue in Ep. 2 killed it for me. It just felt awkward through most of it. At least Ep. 1 felt more real, most of it was still practical sets/props and I forgive a small child for not being the best actor ever. That, and Darth Maul was awesome. Should have had him through episode 2 or 3 and forgot about Dooku period.

September 14, 2015 at 3:00PM

Braden Storrs
Post Production Manager, Photographer

Yeah that is true about sets/practicals in ep 1. The kid didn't kill it for me.... that was JarJar. But you are right on about Darth Maul. If he'd survived and played a more personal role throughout the trilogy (fighting Obi Wan after killing Liam Neeson, that'd have been awesome).

This video is a good breakdown of what the prequel trilogy could have been:

September 20, 2015 at 10:09PM

Dean Butler
Writer Director Shooter Editor

Pretty sure the guy got the idea for this video from this:

An excellent article that not only shows the comparisons between the films but also goes into great detail in explaining the comparisons.

I recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the Saga and especially those who dislike the prequels.

I have a love hate relationship with the PT but this article definitely gave me a new perspective of what Lucas was trying to achieve. Yea they're not perfect but there's a lot to like about them and they don't deserve anywhere near the amount of hate they get.

September 13, 2015 at 11:31PM, Edited September 13, 11:31PM

I can't believe this was made un-ironically. I remember when we all laughed when George Lucas said, "It's like poetry, it rhymes."

This is ridiculous, and doesn't take into account that these similarities in the prequels weren't put there because of some supreme artistic decision, but rather to cheaply evoke people's nostalgia from scenes they remember loving, while stripping out all the emotion and context. I honestly can't believe JJ Abrams is getting away with the same thing right now, just cramming in things we recognize and hope we get excited about that and ignore his mediocre storytelling. By giving Lucas so much credit for these decisions, you cheapen the original films you compare them to, as well as the good and original decisions he actually has made.

September 14, 2015 at 5:43PM

Jacob Floyd
Writer / Videographer

Also, while I appreciate having some of this content linked to me (despite my disagreements with it, the video is fairly well made), I think it would be cool if the NFS worked on original content like this. I'm sure they have the capability, and it might restore some of the cred to the site for people to see that the people behind it still have the chops to create, rather than just redistribute.

September 14, 2015 at 5:43PM

Jacob Floyd
Writer / Videographer

Very well done video but rhyming alone isn't poetry. Poetry is what happens between the lines of great verse. The prequels aren't even competent verse. Repetition is found in the highest art but it's also found in the laziest. See also: call backs, club comics.

September 14, 2015 at 10:09PM, Edited September 14, 10:11PM

J Robbins

All of the "poetry" in the world doesn't change the fact that there were people willing to cut off their arms just to see the prequels a week early; who, after finally seeing them, walked out ready to cut off George Lucas's arms so that he could no longer ruin the series. It's not that they didn't get this amazing poetry of form, it's that it doesn't really matter. In retrospect we can say, "Very clever George." But most of us will still laugh at the sudden bandwagon of apologists clamoring.

September 15, 2015 at 6:30PM

Ryq

Awesome post! Mike Klimo's essay on Ring Theory is a nice read and also interesting perspective of all six Star Wars films. My production group and I are working on documentary, The Prequels Strike Back, that includes Ring Theory and further discussion by Klimo himself. Check out our posts on twitter: @ministrycinema to see some production stills of a few of the interviews we've shot http://unlearntheprequels.com

September 21, 2015 at 10:53PM