This episode of Indie Film Weekly kicks off fall film fest season with the latest from Telluride and Venice, and previews new gear from Amsterdam’s IBC Expo.
Co-hosts Jon Fusco, Emily Buder, and yours truly, Liz Nord bring you to the mountains of Colorado and the canals of Venice for indie news and likely Oscar contenders from the influential Telluride and Biennale Film Festivals. We also venture to Amsterdam for new toys from the big IBC gear show, discuss Canon’s highly-anticipated release of the C700 cinema camera, and talk about what the iPhone 7’s updated camera features—including a 12 megapixel sensor and 4K shooting capabilities—might mean for filmmakers. As always, the show also includes our Ask No Film School segment (this week: how to plan your film’s festival rollout), plus grant and festival deadlines, gear news, upcoming indie film releases, and other notable things you might have missed while you were busy making films.
Show Links & Mentions
No Film School articles
- Here Are All the Official Specs for the New iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
- How DP Christian Sprenger Embraced Imperfections on FX's 'Atlanta'
- Why I Shot My Sundance Feature Doc with 16mm Film
- Defying Filmmaking Grammar in 16mm Experimental Sundance Film 'The Royal Road'
- The Film is Half the Project: 'Almost Sunrise' Filmmakers on Making an Impact
- A Massive List of Fall 2016 Grants All Filmmakers Should Know About
- Behind the Unusual Shooter-Editor Collaboration on a Sundance Award-Winning Doc [PODCAST]
- Canon Goes for Gold with New C700
- Cooke Optics Reimagines the Classic Speed Panchros
- Sigma Announces New Cine Lens Series, Complete with High Speed Zooms and Primes
Upcoming Deadlines: Grants & Opportunities
- International Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam: DocLab Academy - September 12
- Hot Docs CrossCurrents Doc Fund: Theatrical Stream - September 21
Upcoming Deadlines: Festivals
- The Center for Asian American Media Fest 2017 - September 12
- SXSW - September 22
- Sundance Film Festival - September 23 (final deadline, shorts), September 26 (final deadline, features)