Sony E-mount Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8 is Finally Here
This is a good day for full-frame Sony shooters.
Tamron has finally announced price and availability for their upcoming 17-28mm f/2.8 Di III RXD lens for Sony full-frame E-mount mirrorless cameras. Tamron, which has been a personal go-to for many years, has proven to be a reliable lens option, making some solid strides with not only their lightweight, reliable lenses but also its AF system and updated coating and construction for run-and-gun videography.
I know many Sony a7 series full frame camera owners will be pretty stoked about this as the 17-28mm brings some more competitive balance to their lens purchase and rental options.
Let’s take a look at this new flexible 17-28mm wide-angle lens from Tamron.
Similar to Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD Lens, the Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8 is designed for full frame Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras as an ultra-wide zoom option for wide focal lengths. As one of the most lightweight lenses in its class (it is a Tamron), it should offer some beautiful and shallow depth of field and work well with a low minimum object distance.
If used on APS-C models you’re looking at an equivalent focal length around 24.5-42mm, which could make a suitable mid-range coverage as well.
You can read the full press release from Tamron here, but highlights include:
- Companion model to the compact, popular Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A036) zoom
- Superb high-resolution performance
- Extreme close-up capability enables versatile creative expression with ultra-wide-angle zoom
- The RXD stepping motor unit is exceptionally quiet
- Moisture-Resistant Construction and Fluorine Coating
- Consistent design and operation throughout all Tamron lenses for full-frame mirrorless cameras
- Versatile, exciting combination when paired with the 28-75mm F/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A036)
- Compatible with main camera-specific features and functions