April 16, 2014

Libec Demonstrates the ALLEX Tripod System, Which Lets You Pan, Tilt, & Slide with One Rig

A few days before the kickoff of NAB, Libec announced their new integrated tripod system, ALLEX, which allows users to use pan, tilt and slide camera movements with a 3-part setup made up of a tripod, ball head, and slider. We were able to stop by their booth to talk a little bit about the ALLEX system, so check out our latest NAB video to see it in action, as well as get more information about their video contest that will award 5 winners with ALLEX gear.

If you're interested in learning more about the ALLEX system (as well as their video contest), check out their website here. Here are a few key specs:

Tripod

• Newly modified leg stoppers for more rigidity
  • Lightweight (8.4 lbs.)

Head

• LED bubble level
  • One touch attachment and release
  • Lightweight (about 3 lbs.)
  • Supports up to 9 lbs.

Slider

• 30″ in length
  • Legs open and close to 180˚
  • Tripod mount adapter and bowl clamp included

Here's Libec's promo video for the ALLEX system, which demonstrates the different kinds of moves you can achieve.

Link: ALLEX tripod system -- Libec

...

NFS's coverage of NAB 2014 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel and Limelite. Subscribe to the No Film School YouTube channel for the latest video updates direct from NAB, as well as filmmaker interviews, tutorials, and behind-the-scenes features.

Hi, i would like to have all things : tripod, slider and head. How much it will cost? Is that posible to send it in other country (LITHUANIA)? i'm interested in last price with delivery.

April 16, 2014 at 9:23AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Svajune

How is this something new?

April 16, 2014 at 9:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

david

It's not...at all...

April 16, 2014 at 10:15AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pat

Um, yeah, I've been able to do this for about 5 years with my Kessler crane pocket dolly and any tripod with a flat mount

April 16, 2014 at 10:13AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ben Figueiredo

And that is what is different about this system. You say you have done this for 5 years with your dolly and "any tripod with a FLAT mount". This system has the slider on a ball level mount. It's not a slider on another head with a half ball, with yet another head on the slider itself. They made this as a buy once ready to go package without having to piece together a system. SO actually it is different and a first of its kind offering and as a system and without breaking the bank.

April 16, 2014 at 11:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Chris

Adding a ball mount on the bottom of the slider doesn't give you any extra features. Once it's level, it's level...doesn't matter how you do it.

April 16, 2014 at 12:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pat

That is not true. The whole point of a bowl mount is to make quick leveling and it's super effective. And if you have your slider on the tripod head (like I used to), you slider will not stay leveled when the camera reaches the edges with big loads. Since I added a half bowl to my slider, I can level it super quickly and it stays perfectly leveled even at the edges. The result is that I am using the slider much more often now.

April 16, 2014 at 1:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

So, you agree that this system isn't new...?

April 16, 2014 at 1:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pat

Their target audience seems to be only aimed at people just getting into filming and production. I believe they said the market price will be around $760, which seems to be fairly decent for a system like this. It would've been nice to see a package like this when I started out a few years ago. The design is nice and the tripod is pretty lightweight which is always a plus, but I feel like they could do away with the "this is a glorious revolution in filmmaking" type marketing/advertising (Like, is the "Patent Pending" thing really necessary?) and just be straight up with a slogan like - "it's just a tripod package people".

April 16, 2014 at 11:56AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tito

dont forget the special greases. it's really special.

May 29, 2014 at 12:46AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Fab

Looks like a tripod and a slider. Is there something I'm not getting here? Let's see, Panning head + slider + tripod = Pan, tilt, slide. You know, I could never quite figure out math. I guess that's why I'm a troll.

April 16, 2014 at 11:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Derek

There is nothing revolutionary about this but if the quality is there then is certainly is a great offer considering the price.
Been doing that for a while by simply adding a half bowl mount under my pocket dolly. The interesting thing with this system is that with the head being both flat an bowl mount, I could simply put the tripod head on the slider instead of using a separate flat mount head. The weakest link is the head at 9lbs capacity but enough for a normal camera with a external monitor.

It really all comes down to the quality of the gear. If it's solid and smooth than it is quite interesting. I paid more than twice that price for my tripod, head and pocket dolly...

April 16, 2014 at 1:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

It's an all-in-one package to make it easy for people to get a complete setup and to be able to switch back and forth with ease because it was designed as one idea, not three different ideas from different companies or three product lines.

April 16, 2014 at 6:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I understand that the Slider has a half ball built in so you can use the tripod head on the carriage of the slider while the slider in on the tripod or operated on its own.. but in real life sometimes you need a fully functional tripod AND a slider IN THE SAME TIME! So, Dawid, Pat, Ben, Derek I am with you! Before reading the comments I was just wondering.. "What is that I am missing here in this big news...?

April 16, 2014 at 3:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I think this is a pretty cool setup and I would totally be interested in it if Edelkrone hadn't invented their amazing sliders with all the awesome motion controllers. There is so much gear out there in this price range now that it's just so awesome for all of us, there's something affordable for everyone, this will be a killer setup for someone just starting out.

April 16, 2014 at 6:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

This looks so unreal! I can't wait until I can buy one! Hoping my existing tripod head will work with it!!!
Great Work!

April 16, 2014 at 6:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

This looked/felt really good at the show, and am absolutely considering as a B camera support rig. Price is perfect.
A LOT of newcomers will buy this, and be very happy, and I'll happily add it to my 2 Sachtlers, and various other monopods/sliders etc.
The commenters above seem to forget that every year (literally) a brand new crop of thousands of filmmakers decide to start buying gear.....I had a 19 year old ask advice on set yesterday. He already had a 5D3 and a ton of very nice L glass through paid work, but was thinking of making the 4K leap. :-)

April 16, 2014 at 7:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

marklondon

Amazing. Just because you have put together a great setup using parts from different companies, this is bad. Come on, people!

April 19, 2014 at 10:51AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jerry

They need a version with a larger payload.

April 25, 2014 at 2:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM