CIFF Launches Points North Institute with Year-Round Programs for Doc Filmmakers
This might be the most exciting and busy year for emerging documentary filmmakers thanks to the Camden International Film Festival.
CIFF is giving nonfiction filmmakers a chance to hone their craft, make important connections, and grow their careers all year long by establishing the Points North Institute, a new organization that will give documentaries the chance to participate in a wide array of career building programs.
Building upon the success of CIFF's Points North Forum, one of the largest gatherings of documentary filmmakers in the U.S., the Points North Institute is "poised to become a vital launching pad for the next generation of creative nonfiction storytellers," and hopes to help launch careers through retreats, residencies, workshops, and fellowships.
Apart from the Camden Film Festival and the Points North Forum, programs include:
- Points North Fellowship: Six filmmakers are given the chance to develop their feature-length docs through funding, mentorship, workshops, and more. Participants also receive a $2000 grant.
- Camden/TFI Retreat: Designed to nurture the creativity and goals of documentary filmmakers, participants spend five days in Maine developing their "artistic voice and the skills they need to complete their films."
- Shortform Editing Residency: Four selected participants are able to spend a week focusing and developing their documentary shorts or series alongside experienced mentors.
- Storyforms: This is a curated program that showcases exhibits, installations, workshops that utilize immersive media and new technologies, like virtual reality.
- Artist development programs: There are also new programs being launched at this year's CIFF, like the 3-Day Virtual Reality Filmmaking Crash Course, 2-Day Short Form Documentary course, and the CMG Action Grant.
These are exciting (and rare) opportunities for documentary filmmakers, so you are one, head on over to the Points North Institute website to learn more about how you can get involved.
Also, the Camden International Film Festival and Points North Forum begins September 15th, so be sure to get the info you need if you're interested in attending.