You can now use a lot more lenses with your Sigma lens converter, thanks to a new firmware update.
Thanks to lens adapters, you can dust off a vintage lens or any modern glass and pair it with a non-native camera body. They are essentially tech-middle-men that bridge the gap between mismatched lens mounts and camera bodies.
So, if you're already invested in PL or EF mount optics, adapters allow you to use those lenses with a camera body with a different mount. Want to use a PL mount lens on an L-mount camera? There's are several companies that make a PL to L-mount adapter. Wooden Camera, Metabones, and Fotodiox all come to mind. Both Leitz and Sigma have one as well.
Sigma carries 3 different lens adapters, the MC-11, MC-21, and MC-31. The company has released firmware updates for 2 of them as well as a general update for its EF mount lenses.
Available in 2 options, SA-L or EF-L, the lens converter adapts Sigma SA and EF mount lenses to L-mount camera bodies, including the Panasonic S1H. Depending on the lens and shooting mode, the lens will maintain its full functionality. Currently, Sigma has 32 lens options that can be used for L-mount.
- Optimizes the communication regarding the current consumption of the Leica SL2
- Improve the phenomenon of overexposure when continuous shooting when it is used in combination with Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R / DC-S1
Like the MC-21, the lens mount converter comes in 2 options adapting Sigma SA lenses to E-mount (MC-11 SA-E) or Sigma EF lenses to E-mount (MC-11 EF-E). The latter allows Sigma EF lenses to be paired with Sony mirrorless camera bodies, including the a9, a7, a5000/a6000, and NEX series. Using the converter, the lens will maintain its full performance, including autofocus, auto-exposure, and in-camera corrections.
- Optimized the peripheral illumination correction data when used in combination with Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM | Art for Canon EF mount
- Compatible with Sigma 18-300mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Contemporary for Canon EF mount, so long as it has the latest firmware Ver. 2.02
- Compatible with the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Art for Canon EF mount, so long as it has the latest firmware Ver. 2.05
- Compatible with the Sigma 40mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art for Canon EF mount, so long as it has the latest firmware Ver. 1.01
- Compatible with the Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art for Canon EF mount, so long as it has the latest firmware Ver. 1.01
Sigma EF mount
Additionally, Sigma improved the exposure viewfinder when using the Canon EOS 90D and EOS-1D X Mark III with certain lenses. The lenses that have been fixed are:
- 18-300mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Contemporary
- 24-70mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Art
- 40mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
- 105mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
The firmware updates can be found on Sigma's support page.