NAB is the world's largest film/video trade show, with a reporter 100,000 film and TV people traversing 2,000,000 square feet of the latest filmmaking gear in Las Vegas. In this episode of Indie Film Weekly, Micah Van Hove and I recap what we've seen.
We try to make sense of what many have labeled a largely underwhelming NAB 2016 (although almost immediately after recording this podcast I changed my tune... stay tuned for why). We move through the best products we've seen this week in cameras, rigs, drones, dollies, gimbals, lighting, VR and post production software.
While it may not have been as flashy of a year at NAB in terms of hardware, it's clear that companies are focusing more than ever on taking their existing products and making them as good as they can be for the filmmakers who own them. This, for those of us who can't afford to be dropping 10k+ a year on new equipment, is highly comforting.
After you've listened to the podcast be sure and take a closer look at some of the products we mention in the links below. We've produced close to fifty video interviews from the floor already and there are many, many more to come.
Show Links & Mentions
- All of the Latest Filmmaking Tools at NAB 2016
- 11 LED Lights Go Head-to-Head in a Scientific Color Shootout: Which Should You Buy?
Cameras and Lenses
- Vision Research Previews the Mid-Range Phantom VEO, Captures up to 1,500fps at 2.5k
- KipperTie Develops a Series of Full Spectrum OLPFs for RED Cameras
- This Year's Improvements to RED Accessories Includes a Smaller, Lighter & Sexier Side Handle
- Introducing DJI's Osmo RAW, a Stabilized Handheld 4K Camera System
- Blackmagic's New 7" Video Assist 4K, 4.0 Firmware for URSA Mini and Davinci Resolve 12.5
Drones, Gimbals, Dollies and Rigs
- DJI's New Matrice 600 Drone Knows Where it's Going, Plus Ronin-MX Gimbal Gets Stronger and Smoother
- The Coolest Thing We've Seen At NAB is $125 & Fits in Your Pocket
- Anton Bauer Cine Series Extends the Life of Your Batteries Through Proper Rotation
- Atomos Updates Their Recorders to HDR (For Free) and Introduces the 1500nit 10-bit Shogun Inferno
- Paralinx Transmitters Get More Battery Options & Now Communicate with Teradek Receivers
- Teradek Introduces Sphere, Their New Wireless VR Monitoring & Streaming System
- Digital Sputnik's New RGB LED Fixtures Were the Main Lights Used in the Upcoming Star Wars Film
- Never Gel a Light Again with the ARRI SkyPanel Firmware 2.0
- KinoFlo Moves Further into LED Fixtures and Adds Green/Magenta Control & Wireless DMX
Virtual Reality and 360
- GoPro Keeps Moving in the Direction of VR and 360 Degree Video with Omnirig & Odyssey
- Skywand VR Lets You Virtually Walk Through the Sky to Map Out Your Drone Shots
- Liberate Your Shots from On-Set Decisions with Lytro's Groundbreaking Cinema Camera
- Blackmagic Adds 250 New Features & 1,000 Enhancements in DaVinci Resolve 12.5
- Adobe Talks a Slew of New Creative Cloud Updates at NAB 2016