Blackmagic Design Video Assist 12G HDR series adds RAW support for Panasonic EVA1 and Canon C300 MK II cameras.
The Video Assist 12G HDR series from Blackmagic Design recently received a colorimetry update, and now with Video Assist 3.1 and Blackmagic RAW 1.7, both 5" and 7" models support Blackmagic RAW recording for Panasonic EVA1 and Canon EOS C300 MK II cameras.
The Video Assist 12G HDR monitors can capture images from any SDI or HDMI camera. Both 5" and 7" models currently record formats up to 4K DCI, have built-in scopes, focus assist features, and 3D LUT support, among other features. SDI and HMDI outputs offer 10-bit recordings at resolutions up to 4K DCI at 23.98, 24, and 25fps. It's uncertain when 4K DCI 29.97fps will be available. 4K UHD can record up to 60p.
If your workflow pipeline supports RAW image capture, it's always the way to go, as the benefits in color grading alone are well-documented. The Panasonic EVA1 currently records a 10-bit RAW signal through SDI at 5.7K (5760 x 3072) at 29.97p, 25p, 24p, and 23.98p. Recording options for 4K DCI (4096 x 2160) and 2K (2048 x 1080) are also available on the EVA1. 2K currently touts frame rates up to 240fps. It's important to point out the EVA1 does not support RAW output through HMDI.
Similarly, the Canon EOS C300 MK II has twin 3G-SDI outputs that can record 4K DCI, 2K, and full HD RAW at various frame rates via its Super 35mm CMOS sensor. When recording RAW to external recorder, Canon has its own Cinema RAW Development software available for Window or macOS to develop the data. The software can also generate proxy data. The C300 MK II is capable of simultaneously recording internally and outputting RAW as well.
With Video Assist 3.1, you can also add metadata to shots and 3D LUTs can be applied to monitoring and recording modes.
Blackmagic Video Assist 3.1
- Adds Blackmagic RAW recording to Video Assist 12G HDR models
- Adds Digital Slate to Video Assist 12G HDR models
- Improves HDMI connectivity with some cameras to Video Assist 12G HDR models
- General performance and stability updates for Video Assist 12G HDR models
Blackmagic RAW 1.7
macOS and Windows
- Blackmagic RAW Adobe Premiere Pro plugin general performance and stability improvements.
- Added support for Panasonic EVA1 Blackmagic RAW clips captured by Blackmagic Video Assist.
- Added support for Canon EOS C300 Mark II Blackmagic RAW clips captured by Blackmagic Video Assist.
Both firmware versions can be downloaded via the Blackmagic Design support page. If you have worked with RAW workflows on the Panasonic EVA1 or Canon EOS C300 MK II, let us know in the comments section. We'd like to hear about it.