No Film School was on the ground at the Sundance Film Festival, the beating heart of American independent cinema. Check back over the next couple weeks as we update this list with posts—podcasts, exclusive interviews, gear news, filmmaker advice, and more—from the festival, which ran from January 18-28, 2018.
'Hale County, This Morning, This Evening'
- Emmy Winner Rick Rosenthal Dives into the World of Indie Series with 'Halfway There'
- How Color and Sound Create the Bleak, Icelandic World of Sundance-Winner ‘And Breathe Normally’
- How Magical Realist '306 Hollywood' Became the First Doc in Sundance's NEXT Section
- 'An Evening With Beverly Luff Linn': How Jim Hosking Makes the World's Most Eccentric Films
- Hot, Loud, and Over 200 MPH: How 'The Last Race' Leaves Conventional Storytelling in the Dust
- A Leaked Sex Video Has Devastating Consequences in Sundance's 'Rust'
- 'Our New President': Maxim Pozdorovkin on Creating an Entirely Untrue Documentary
- 'Shirkers': How a Filmmaker Reclaimed her Lost Work and Turned It into a Sundance-Winning Doc
- 'Crime + Punishment' Filmmaker Stephen Maing on Making the Police Drama of the Decade
- 'On Her Shoulders' Elevates Documentary Into a Powerful Living Memory
- Why Sundance-Winner 'NANCY' Alternated Aspect Ratios to Ratchet Up Tension
- Sundance-Winning Short Film 'Hair Wolf': Casting High-Quality Actors and Making Your Money Back
- How 'Lizzie' DP Noah Greenberg Turned a Dark Story into Gauzy, Romantic Cinematography
- 'The Kindergarten Teacher': How Sara Colangelo Transformed an Israeli Film into a Sundance-winning Remake
- How a First-Time Director Spent 20 Years Making Sundance Award-Winning 'Burden'
- David Wain and Peter Principato on Paying Tribute to National Lampoon in 'A Futile and Stupid Gesture'
- Inside the Mind Behind SPHERES, Sundance's History-Making Acquisition
- How the 'Clara's Ghost' Filmmakers Used Family to Make a Hilarious 'Haunted House' Movie
- Hitting 'The Long Dumb Road' with Hannah Fidell, Jason Mantzoukas & Tony Revolori
- 'Hale County This Morning, This Evening': RaMell Ross on Redefining the Black Body
- Super Deluxe's 'The Passage': Phillip Burgers on Why Dialogue Doesn't Always Matter
- Inside Sundance's Indie Episodics, the New Home For Low Budget Upstart
- How 'We the Animals' Found the Perfect Blend of Film and Digital with Blackmagic Tools
- How a Sundance Film Pulled Off a 90-Minute Single Take
- Panos Cosmatos on the Origins of 'Mandy' & Why Nicolas Cage is a Magical Creature
- Why You Should Get Involved With Your Colorist as Soon as Possible
Panels, Talks & Superposts
'On Her Shoulders'
- 'Beirut': DP Bjorn Charpentier on Creating the Sundance Spy Thriller's 'Dirty, Dark Look'
- How International Productions at Sundance Embraced Post-Globalization Filmmaking
- Struggling With Your Second Feature? Take Cues From 9 Sophomore Sundance Directors
- Get Your Work to the Finish Line With These Tips from Sundance Filmmakers
- Tiny Crews, Last-Minute Changes, and More ‘Colossal’ Sundance Production Challenges
- How Lens Choice Affects Documentary Work
- Infographic: Cameras and Lenses Used to Shoot Sundance 2018 Movies
- Canon C300, ALEXA, and More Cameras & Lenses Used on Sundance 2018 Films
- DP Roundtable: How to be the Cinematographer Your Director Needs
- The Zellner Brothers on Why You Need to Do Something New With Every Film You Make
- How to Build a Score That Raises Your Audience's Expectations [PODCAST]
- The Best Filmmaking Apps & Sundance 2018 Preview [PODCAST]
- Sundance 2018: Have Streaming Deals Gone Cold? [PODCAST]
News & Analysis
Robert Redford at the opening day press conference.Credit: Sundance Institute
- Here Are the Winners of the 2018 Sundance Film Festival
- The Rise of the Actor-Director at Sundance 2018
- Big Risks Come With Big Rewards in the Sundance Shorts Program
- The Sundance Film Festival in the Age of #MeToo and Time's Up
- BET Wants to Buy Your Script and Make Your Film Through Project CRE8
- MoviePass Gets Into the Film Acquisition Game
- Space-Based VR Series SPHERES Sells for Seven Figures at Sundance
- Watch: Check Out These Sundance 2018 Trailers and Exclusive Clips
- 8 Films We're Most Excited to See at Sundance 2018
- Surviving Sundance: Practical Tips
- Sundance 2018 Lineup Brings Fresh New Talent Along With Festival Favorites
- Sundance Announces New Indie Episodic Section for the 2018 Festival
For more, see our ongoing list of coverage of the 2018 Sundance Film Festival.
No Film School's podcast and editorial coverage of the 2018 Sundance Film Festival is sponsored by RODE Microphones and Blackmagic Design.