Over the past decade, gimbals, dollies, and rig companies have been in the midst of a heated competition: which can make products that do the most insane stuff? We're treated to new items each year that, when gathered into an arsenal, could give even the most independent of filmmakers a bevy of tricks to pull out of their visual playbook.
This year we saw something else.
Perhaps as a result of all of these technological innovations, our resident gear expert Charles Haine called it the "Year of the "Smoosh" (as in, let's smoosh together as many of the things we've invented over the past couple of years into one new thing.) That's why we saw products on the floor this year like the DigiBoom, a combination Steadicam, jib, and handheld stabilizer in one.
Check out our highlights below to see all the "smooshes" in action.
- ARRI Reveals Tons of New Toys, Including New Ballsts, Gear Bag, and Sony Venice Accessories
- Ikan's New PIVOT Gimbal Can Handle DSLRs and Cinema Cameras Up to 8lbs
- Tiffen Keeps Your Shots Steady with Two New Products, the Steadicam AIR and the M-1 Volt
- Glidecam's HD-PRO Is Its Best Small Payload Stabilizer Yet
- Sachtler Reimagines the Tripod with Flowtech
- The Nitrotech N12 Provides Continuous Counterbalancing for DPs
- Meet Redrock Micro's DigiBoom, a Gimbal-Stabilized Jib Arm
- Camera-Mounting Made Easy with AbelCine's New Cameo Grip
- Nikon Demos the Future of Robotics with the Polycam and Bolt High-Speed Cinebot
- Easyrig Offers New Products Including a Vest Geared Towards Female Operators
- Create the Perfect Time-Lapse with Edelkrone's New Product
- DJI's New Master Wheels Lets You Control Ronin in a New (but Old) Way
- DJI Summons Star Wars-Like Powers For DJI Force
- JOBY's GorillaPod Now Has Arms
- Bright Tangerine Adds Quick Release to Its Titan Arm
- RigWheels Has the Solution to Your Car-Mount Needs
- Don't Worry About Your Rosettes Wearing Away with Millers New Tripod Heads
- Meet Magic Carpet Pro and Genie II, Syrp's New Slider and Motion Control Device