NAB 2018 was full of hot new updates and minor disappointments.
There were a few major breakthroughs at NAB this year in the camera department. Most notably, Blackmagic truly threw its name into the low budget-buyer arena with their new, sub $1500, Pocket Cinema Camera. Some of the more established brands like Sony and Panasonic played it safer.
Aside from some nice firmware updates, it would be easy for many to dismiss this year's crop as underwhelming. However, it's important to take note of how industry trends seem to be moving in filmmakers' favor. Options for cameras on the lower budget side of cinematic production continue to get better, less expensive, and more varied.
In contrast, beauty, as always, could be found in the glass.
- Fujifilm Showcases Its New Flagship Shooter, the X-H1 Mirrorless 4K Camera
- Leica Adds ARRI LPL Mount to Thalia Primes, Expands M .8 Line
- Here's Why You Should Get Out of Your Comfort Zone and Diversify Your On-Set Crew
- You Won't Need to Color Correct with Tiffen's New ND Filters
- The Sony FS5 Mark II Has Arrived, Offering a Bit More Than Its Predecessor
- Tiffen Decreases Minimum Focusing Distance with New Diopters
- Blackmagic Updates Its Pocket Cinema Camera with 4K and Improved Low-Light Performance
- Sony's a7 III Touts a Full-Frame Sensor with 4K Recording
- Zeiss CP3 Lenses Just Got an Impressive Update
- Shoot Anamorphic Without Breaking the Bank with the New Atlas Anamorphic Lens
- Get Up Close and Personal with Canon's C700 FF Cinema Camera
- Turn Your Phone into a Cinema Camera with this Adapter
- Be Ready to Shoot Anytime with the New Tenba Doctor Bags
- Cooke Expands its Panchro Lenses to Include Macro
- P+S Technik Adds a 135mm Focal Length to Its Anamorphic Evolution Line
- Panasonic's EVA1 Gets a Nice Touch Up with the New Firmware 2.0 Update
- Classic Whitepoint Lenses Rebuilt with Fresh Housing For Cinema Use
- These New Rangefinder Lenses Will Stand Out on Any Film Set
- Nikon's New Camera Package Will Help You Ace that 'Cinema Look'
- Meet the Tilta Nucleus-M, a Complete Wireless Follow Focus System
- These New Cine Primes from Skybeam Can Fit in Your Pocket
- Tilta Updates Nucleus II With 'Easy Mode' For Wireless Lens Control
- Looking for Affordable 6K Full-Frame Primes? Check Out Kinefinity
- Turn Your Stills Lens into a Cine Lens with the Zero from Broken Anchor
- SLR Magic Joins the Micro Prime Race
- Schneider's Got You Covered on Filters This Year
- Gecko-Cam Toughens Up Your Vintage Glass
- Get Leica Glass on Your Alexa Mini Thanks to CW Sonderoptics
- Marshall's Tiny CV502 POV Cams Can Survive Just about Anything
- Kinefinity's Mavo Is a Full-Frame 6K Cinema Camera at an Indie Price Point
- This GoPro Fusion Cage Is so Strong That It Can Apparently Withstand a Gunshot
- Sigma Shows Off Updated 70mm Macro and 105mm f/1.4 'Bokeh Monster'
- Fujifilm Explains Its Approach to the Future of Big Sensor Filmmaking
- ARRI Shows Off New Large Format System, the Alexa LF and Signature Primes