Rumors are swirling online about what sounds to likely be not one, but two new Sony Alpha Series cameras set to be announced here as early as next week.
And while Sony has certainly been in the headlines as of late, what with reports of a possible new “cameraless” Ghostbusters movie, questions about their decision to ship their Sony a6700 without a charger and of course reviews of the Sony ZV-1 Mark II highlighting their vloggiest camera ever, we’d be kind of concerned if they didn’t announce some bigger Alpha Series cameras here end of this year.
So, with little surprise but still great expectation, here’s everything we know about these rumored new cameras which are reportedly set to announce on August 29th, 2023.
A Sony a7C II Camera
Could there be an update to this Sony a7C?
A follow-up to the Sony a7C, this new version should update the full frame mirrorless camera with a bigger CMOS sensor and bump its video recording capability up from 4K30p to 4K60p, while still hopefully keeping it at a low and competitive price close to its current version which retails right now at $1,798.
Designed for hybrid video and photo professionals, this should continue to be one of Sony’s more popular everyday, all-day carry cameras which isn’t going to rival any of the brand’s higher-end options but should be a solid step above its more vlog-style cameras like the ZV-1 II.
Here are the rumored specs for the Sony a7C II:
- 33MP Full-Frame Exmor R CMOS Sensor
- BIONZ XR & AI Processing Unit
- Up to 10 fps Shooting, ISO 100-51200
- 4K 60p Video in 10-Bit, S-Cinetone
- 2.36m-Dot EVF
- 3″ 1.03m-Dot Vari-Angle Touchscreen LCD
- 759-Pt. Fast Hybrid AF, Real-time Eye AF
- Focus Breathing Compensation
- 5-Axis SteadyShot Image Stabilization
- Creative Looks and Soft Skin Effect
A Sony a7C R Camera
What might a Sony a7C R look like?
Now, while a rumored Sony a7C II obviously makes sense on paper as a simple and direct upgrade, these reports of a possible Sony a7C R are perhaps more intriguing. Combining the best parts of the everyday prosumer elements of the a7C with the more sophisticated features of a more advanced Sony camera like the a7R V, for example, could be a huge game changer in the industry.
With a reported 61MP full-frame sensor capable of 8K video up to 30p (plus possibly even 8K up to 60p with a firmware update) and 4K 16-bit RAW output, this could easily end up being one of the best, and most popular cameras in Sony’s Alpha series line. Especially if a new Sony a7C R could keep the price point close to its current a7C version and well below the $4,000 mark where the a7R just about currently sits.
Here are the rumored specs for the Sony a7C R:
- 61MP Full-Frame Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor
- BIONZ XR & AI Processing Unit
- AI-Based Real-Time Tracking AF System
- 8K 24p, 8K 30p
- 8K 60p (With firmware update)
- 4K 16-Bit Raw Output; S-Log3/S-Cinetone
- 3.2″ 4-Axis Multi-Angle Touchscreen LCD
- 8-Stop 5-Axis Image Stabilization
- Dual CFexpress Type A/SD Card Slots
We’ll have to wait and see if these rumors turn out to be exactly right, but with an announcement coming so soon it’d honestly be more surprising if details like these didn’t emerge so close to a launch.
The price points though should be the biggest factors yet still to be revealed, and we’ll keep you all updated as soon as Sony releases official confirmation.
- Is This Leaked Sony FX3 Photo Their Next Cinema Camera? ›
- Why You Might Want To Pay Attention to the Canon R5 Mark II Rumors Swirling ›
- Sony 8K News: What Does 8K Really Mean for Filmmakers? ›
- Camera Rumors: High Resolution Canon EOS R Coming in 2019 ›
- Camera Rumors: Sony to Announce New Full Frame 8K Sensor ›
- A First-Look at the Sony a7CR and its Beefy 61MP Full-Frame Sensor ›